Garrett Gizmo Armrest Extension

• 4 weeks later...

No offense intended khouse but I made my own "gizmo" a year ago for my AT Gold.

I must have longer forearms than the people from Texas that do the ergonomic testing. I like the tip of my elbow to extend 1" or so from the back of my arm cuff especially on heavier detectors.

Even with the arm cuff on the farthest attachment hole I still had almost 3" from the back of the arm rest to the tip of my elbow. 

I happened to have a simple solution. I had several older 2AA battery Mag Lite flash lights that kind of worked. I took off the light part of the Mag Lite,  drilled the correct sized hole just past the threads where the light housing screwed on and screwed it into the shaft. Perfect fit and it even has an O ring. I wrapped some Gorilla tape around enough of the flashlight tube to fit the arm cuff snugly, stuffed half of the Mag Lite battery compartment with wadded tape and put in one dead AA battery for weight. So far it works very well and cost me nothing except a few aluminum shard splinters. I didn't have to paint it either. The added length puts the back of the arm cuff exactly 1" from the tip of my elbow.

DSCN0346.jpg

• Like 2

How hard would it be to use the spring clips they use on the lower and mid shafts? Might look bit better and be easier to put on or remove if needed.