1 hour ago, Bashin said:

After a bit of a drought of finding cool coins with the Equinox, I found another V nickel detecting in the neighbors parking strip in between thunderstorms.  It was pretty worn and pitted, and not of any numismatic value, so I cleaned it up a bit.

"a bit of a drought"...a drought is exactly 3 years between my first and second V nickels found. :laugh:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Oh my! 1

2 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

A bit of a drought...a drought is exactly 3 years between my first and second V nickels found.

Beginners luck on my part, Chase. And fertile ground it seems. 😇  But I haven't found any silver for over two weeks now!

Great looking V that you found, however I have to totally agree with Chase on this one as I have never found one of those yet!

• Like 1

Silver, what's that?  Rare as hen's teeth around here.  If it wasn't for V Nicks and IH pennies.  I'd have given up long ago.  Fortunately the Nox is hot on those.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jackpine said:

If it wasn't for V Nicks and IH pennies.

I'd love to find an IH penny!

1 hour ago, Bashin said:

I'd love to find an IH penny!

If V-nickels are present then so are the Indian Head pennies, unless someone has already searched there and discriminated against nickels.  (I see that a lot in parks around here -- detectorists who don't want to be bothered with aluminum trash and therefore just leave the nickels for me.  I'll take 'em, TYVM!)

Bronze Indian Heads tend to TID very close or even same as zinc pennies.  (Cupro-nickel IH's -- those are the very earliest years -- TID even lower.)  I've also had older (meaning in the ground a very long time) bronze Lincolns TID in/near the Zincoln zone occasionally.  I don't know if you're digging all non-ferrous, but keep in mind that when you're in an area that potentially has IH cents, definitly dig the presumed Zincolns.  Sometimes, like I, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Bronze Indian Heads tend to TID very close or even same as zinc pennies.  (Cupro-nickel IH's -- those are the very earliest years -- TID even lower.)  I've also had older (meaning in the ground a very long time) bronze Lincolns TID in/near the Zincoln zone occasionally.  I don't know if you're digging all non-ferrous, but keep in mind that when you're in an area that potentially has IH cents, definitly dig the presumed Zincolns.  Sometimes, like I, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Ooooo, great tip GB! Thanks!

I had actually started avoiding the zinclon TIDs, as I was digging so many and they were so trashed.  Gonna hit the parking strips again, and hope I can snag an IH!