Things Metal Detector Manufacturers Could Do Better

The Minelab office near me told me the ZED was targeted at detector users who could pay for their machines in days or weeks with gold found, as in Africa and Australia.

-Tom V. , Steve, do you keep that heart nugget on the wall or does it have to stay locked up? I always wondered how your ticker behaved when you found it at Ganes? I know you had said something about heart troubles before going there and your doc had warned you not to get too excited? Its hard to believe its been 10 years since I was there....doubt I could do it now with my knees buckling on me so often...

I had to have open heart surgery the first of the year when I found that big nugget at Ganes. My doctor told me before I went to Alaska to take it easy. Ya, sure... when I found that nugget, I did what any prospector would do. Scream, yell, and do the old prospector dance. Every one at camp had to hold it and have their picture taken with it. The owner of Ganes cr. bought it back from me and he gave me a fair price for it. That was easier than keeping it in a bank vault. I still have the pictures and memories to last a lifetime.

• Like 1

First Texas - Even we don't know how many we make or what they're for!

Garrett - We already made a flagship detector so quit asking for one.

Minelab - The most hated name in detecting!

Tesoro - Search for the past with detectors from the past.

White's - Anything happen while we were sleeping?

Holy crap that's funny!  :D

The Gaines Creek owner later sold it to Peter Hydlar who sold it at the Tucson Gem Show. I got to hold it during the time Pete had it for sale.

No kidding?? That's awesome. Pieter always has such nice gold at the show. Lots of nuggets he's found and ones he's acquired from collections. He has a beautiful 11 ounce(?) gold and quartz nugget from the Quijotoa Placers that's near and dear to my heart that I'd love to own one day. He usually has a big silver bar from the Atocha shipwreck for sale at the Gem Show too. I live about 10 minutes away from the hotels where they host the shows and I've been going every year since I caught gold, gem and meteorite fever (and even before that when I was a kid in elementary school and they'd drag us there for field trips).

The S shaft - seems manufacturers don't get it yet. The S shaft needs to go. I would like to see straight shafts with an upright handle that could be adjusted forward or back to suit the user.

I can hike, climb, dig, wade and shovel all day long. At the end of the day the most stress is arm and wrist, because of the S shaft.

When I bought the Infinium with that 10x14 DD - it was a joke. After one hour of use fatigue set in. I was ready to s$%t can the whole thing! I bought an Anderson straight shaft and did the under elbow extension with the box - after the mod, you could not get me to part with the Infinium. 

What do I think? Manufacturers have a cheap "stamp them out" process dedicated to their bottom line. User comfort cannot compete.

The S shaft - seems manufacturers don't get it yet. The S shaft needs to go. I would like to see straight shafts with an upright handle that could be adjusted forward or back to suit the user.

I can hike, climb, dig, wade and shovel all day long. At the end of the day the most stress is arm and wrist, because of the S shaft.

When I bought the Infinium with that 10x14 DD - it was a joke. After one hour of use fatigue set in. I was ready to s$%t can the whole thing! I bought an Anderson straight shaft and did the under elbow extension with the box - after the mod, you could not get me to part with the Infinium. 

What do I think? Manufacturers have a cheap "stamp them out" process dedicated to their bottom line. User comfort cannot compete.

Got a pic of the mods?

post-411-0-04700200-1443440380_thumb.gif

Ivan

Horses for courses I guess. FT makes the same basic machine with s shaft and with handgrip - F19/G2+ - some folks like one, some folks like the other.

The only real innovation I see on hardware packaging is from ML and XP Deus. The ML approach seems to have evolved from expensive telescoping carbon fiber stuff on the CTX/GPZ to collapsing plastic on the GoFind and I an not especially impressed with either (just me). Deus on the other hand is simple, strong, light and elegant. I just sold my second Deus, guess I don't speak French, but the "Deus" mechanical package is "heavenly" (that's a pun - Deus=god in Latin).