Steve Herschbach

Garrett's Steve Moore Discusses The New Ace Apex

Steve Moore is the director of marketing at Garrett Electronics. He was interviewed on Relics Radio regarding the new Garrett Ace Apex. It's a long recording so skip ahead to the 6:00 minute mark to get right to the real discussion.

Garrett Ace Apex Data & Reviews

garrett-ace-apex-metal-detector-studio.jpg
Garrett Ace Apex metal detector - new for 2020

• Like 1

"future models will be a slow process"

"battery not designed to be user replaceable"

"eight frequency shifts for each frequency option"

"defer on answering how many or what frequencies are used in the multifrequency modes. Maybe when finalized."

"much more rainproof and weatherproof than other Aces"

"fully submersible? 80% of people don't do that"

"testing? I don't do that. Used it, it performs great, but will let others speak to testing"

"last minute testing and tweaking still in progress, won't be long... this summer"

"target id numbers normalized to read very close to AT series, within a point or two"

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

40 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

"future models will be a slow process" :sad:

"battery not designed to be user replaceable" :sad: - however he did confirm it is still a long lived battery which would only necessitate a service center replacement infrequently (I estimate 5 to 7 years based on other similar batteries) so no biggie.

"eight frequency shifts for each frequency option" :smile:

"defer on answering how many or what frequencies are used in the multifrequency mode" :rolleyes:  - not surprising

"much more rainproof and weatherproof than other Aces" :smile:

"fully submersible? 80% of people don't do that" :happy:  - It is probably more like 90%, but that is sort of beside the point.   Probably 50% or more of people take it into the water at some point, and those people would probably like the peace of mind of knowing if they drop their detector in the drink it is not toast.  You only need a foot of water to have a disaster.

"testing? I don't do that. Used it, it performs great, but will let others speak to testing" :rolleyes: Gotta love the marketing guys...

"last minute testing and tweaking still in progress, won't be long... this summer" :mellow: As expected.

"target id numbers normalized to read very close to AT series, within a point or two"  :mellow:  That's fine, but what is more important to me is that they are repeatable and stable since it has been 5 years since I last swung an AT Pro.

No word on software updates...

My commentary in :smile: emoji and bold italics above.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/22/2020 at 12:32 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

"battery not designed to be user replaceable"

Ugh

On 5/22/2020 at 12:32 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

"fully submersible? 80% of people don't do that"

Huh, I wonder what would happen if you applied the same logic to insurance.

To be fair, I get what he's saying. But I think there's a lot more to the desire for waterproofing than just detecting underwater.  And yes, I'm sure he knows that. But he's spinning the best he can (and I don't blame him; he's just doing his job).

Curious how long the warranty will be on this "rain proof" unit? 

With the word ACE in the title its going to replace those I think or at least be a big boost to them. The Apex is I think going to kill Vanquish sales , its likely to be far better and has many more settings than the Vanquish. 

I don't care about waterproof on this machine. They are going for a lower end model not middle or top end. And I know some will say Simple X "As I call it"!  That is simple and has 1 frequency and is I have heard a lover of Iron . I actually think it is a middle end machine and will take orders from their own top enders like the AT series.

I will be buying the Apex . With numbers from 1 to 99 and 5 tones it will outgun the Nox on target info "multi tone on the Nox is poo" . It can be used in single freqs though there are not the places to save your own programs in each mode like the Nox.

As for battery replacement , if the machine isn't waterproof then it most likely can be stripped down , maybe the battery can be done by any old Joe Bloggs ? 

Anyway I am on the list and I haven't anything that puts me off. Yet.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Nuke em said:

The Apex is I think going to kill Vanquish sales , its likely to be far better and has many more settings than the Vanquish. 

I'd agree but for one pesky fact. Price. A $199 Vanquish 340 and $259 Vanquish 440 have some killer value and the Apex is not their competition, the lower price Aces are. I know which I'd bet on there.

I think Apex will steal more Equinox sales than Vanquish sales. Like Steve Moore said... not everyone needs waterproof.

• Like 2