Vaquero High Tone Mod Needed

I have found that my Vaquero is a good honest all around detector that fits much of my detecting style and needs.  I would like to do the high tone audio mod. Contacted Keith Wills and he does not do this mod. Is there anyone currently doing this upgrade?

Had this in my file folder.

Attempt at your own risk, cannot verify this actually works.

=============================

Does anyone know what Tesoro does to change the tone from low to high?
I heard they re-program a chip? Or do they just put in a different chip that has a diff. resistor capacitor value somewhere in it?

------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, The -ve voltage is generated using a 4024 divider chip and a push pull stage (as per all their other machines). On THREE of the outputs of this chip is a diode OR matrix which combines the outputs into one then to the audio amp stage. Move ONE of these diodes along ONE leg on the chip so instead of dividing Ftx by say 64 to give the audio base tone, it divided by 128 (half the frequency as an output) and thus a lower overall tone.

Like this;
Find pin 5 and move the end of the diode that is connected to it to pin 6. Job done three minutes = LOW pitch mod (and NO profit for rip off modders)

Disconnect the ANODE of the diode which is connected to PIN5 of the IC and connect it instead to PIN6. This will LOWER the tone. IF you want a higher tone, then disconnect the ANODE of the diode from PIN 9 and connect it to PIN 11. This will give a HIGHER tone.

No advantage EXCEPT that the standard tone is around 800Hz, the higher one around 1600 (or something like that). The mod moves the tone into the range where the ear is usually most sensitive to small changes in amplitude, thus, in theory, giving the user better aural sensitivity to small signal changes

https://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/26861/TI/CD4024.html

tones1a.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for your reply Sven. I emailed Dave over the Pond at Pentechnic's Detectors, the offshoot of Tesoro making the Lazer Trident machines, see if their company could accommodate me and this is their response;                                                                 Hi Don,
Thanks for your email.
The audio mod needs a replacement processor and unfortunately I have no more left.
They were programmed by Tesoro but as you will know they are no longer in business.
Sorry I haven't been able to help.
Regards
Dave                                                                                                                                                                                                            So, not being a techy at this point I'll just have to adapt. …..BTW..... How is the DTVG X performing for you, and have you had a go at finding small gold (1-3grain) nuggets with it?  I had the Tejon thinking it might out perform the Lobo ST in depth but the SAT speed was way too slow in recovery on going over bad ground with hot rocks.  The Vaq is within a hairbreadth of performance to the LST but touchy on the GB.  Both have little problem seeing #8 birdshot in bad ground.  Looking at the DTVG X.  Thanks

The Vista X has a new home as of last Xmas. Waited 10 months for DT to make a 7" concentric they said that was in the works--for us North Americans.. Nothing. Large stock coil was too large for my trashy sites. The  small 5.7" DD coil was excellent all the way around, just too small. Got tired of waiting while the X sat on the shelf most of last year. This year they finally came out with a 6x8 DD coil, a bit too late and still not a 7" concentric.  Over all the Vista X is an excellent detector and does like tiny gold nuggets down to 12 grains.

Yeah regarding the Cibola and Vaq., remember that the programmed IC chip needed to be replaced, for tone change.

• Like 1

Is the Tejon that much slower than the Lobo? Have you tried the Lobo coil on a Tejon?

I thought the Vaquero's frequency would be on the low side for small gold.

Wow Sven,  Just down to 12 grains.  That tells me what I wished to know. Thanks for your responses.  I probably wont go there.              And.....Oh yes Kac,  In 'hot' ground the SAT is real slow to return on the Tejon. With the pinpoint switch pulled it is better but the DNA of the machine is just different. The Lobo ST is quite unique in that it has ground tracking yet is quick in recovering it's threshold. To ground balance it takes two pumps of the coil and then on the third pump its ground balanced.  Sweeping, the tracking seems to aggregate over about a 2- 2 1/2' sweep span. On the swing in detecting this is enough time to hear a small target, pass over it several times or more to verify it, then hit pinpoint to hone in on it before losing it.

• Like 1

I noted that with my Tejon in AM mode. Makes sense now. Too bad the Tejon didn't have an isat control

• Like 1