New White's Bullseye Trx Pinpointer

Well, this has been a long time in the making. White's is finally shipping their long awaited new pinpointer, the Bullseye TRX. It looks very promising indeed - automatic ground balance with tracking, in a pinpointer? Wow! Shipping now to dealers.

The ground balance feature means this has the potential to be the pinpointer prospectors have been waiting for. I will get one ASAP, give it a spin, and report back.

whites-bullseye-trx-pinpointer.jpg

Highlights
12 kHz operating frequency
Audio and/or Vibrate Alert
Automatic Ground Balance with Tracking
Automatic Power Off
Alternate Battery Operation (2-AA or 1-9V)
Up to 20 hours on two AA batteries or a single 9-Volt battery
Built in LED Light
Lost Pinpointer Alarm
Overload Indicator
Replaceable Shell
Rugged, Weatherproof Design
Ruler, with Inch Markings
Simple, One-Button Operation
Target Ratcheting
Holster (up to 3” belt)
Lanyard Attachment Loop on TRX and Holster
10" overall length
6.5 oz / 185 grams with two AA batteries
Full Two-year Warranty
MSRP $159.95

Manufacturer website page http://www.whiteselectronics.com/bullseye-trx-pinpointer

whites-bullseye-trx-pinpointer-holster.jpg

whites-bullseye-trx-pinpointer-batteries.jpg

image.jpg

Steve, being old school, I never have used an electronic pinpointer...what is Target ratcheting?

Can the auto Gb be set and then turned off?

I like the little carrying case-looks cool!

fred

Hi Fred,

A quick push of the button "grabs" the ground balance. You can't turn the tracking off but remember this is not a classic metal detector and chances are you do not want to turn it off anyway. Tracking out targets is not likely to be an issue so no reason.

Ratcheting is the practice of getting near the target, pressing the pinpoint button on a detector to reset signal, and then getting a sharper pinpoint signal. You ratchet the signal down until right on target. This can be done with the TRX but is probably not necessary in most cases.

I never park hunt without a pinpointer. It ups my efficiency level ten-fold.

You do not need a pinpointer nugget detecting per se but I always have one along with my GPX 5000 and a big coil. I still get tricked on elongated trash targets a lot and find I am digging just off target. The pinpointer has saved me digging to China many times locating a nail in the side of the hole. I also use the pinpointer if I am approaching any large target in the bottom of a deep hole. The pinpointer lets me know I am close and might save putting a pick tip into a very valuable nugget or specimen.

Pinpointers are usually of less use on small stuff but the TRX may help in that regard. It may make a neat little crevice tool but jury is out. White's is claiming to beat out the Garrett and Minelab pinpointers though not by name of course. We will see.

The photo below is of a 1.26 oz nugget I found with the aid of the Garrett Pro Pointer while using my GPX. I carry the pinpointer in my rucksack that gets stashed nearby while detecting because a pinpointer is scientifically designed to set a large coil off at maximum distance. If I keep it in my back pocket it is ok but just barely.

post-1-0-99151000-1393100898_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The White's TRX has been getting rave reviews, especially in Australia. http://golddetecting.4umer.net/t18030-whites-pinpointers However, it appears the lost pinpointer alarm function was not activated in the first run of the units and some are being returned for updates. As usual these days it looks like waiting a bit before getting the latest and greatest is a good idea. I saw a TRX demonstrated at the ICMJ Mining Summit and it was quite impressive, but I have yet to lay hands on one myself. Hopefully I will get one soon but supplies have been very limited.

I got one of the first TRX's from my local White's dealer and have had it out about a dozen times.  Comparing it to my Garrett Pro Pointer The Garrett will probably be easier to use for most detectorists but the TRX has it beat hands down already for depth.  Still learning all the features.

• 6 months later...

I'm looking for a new pinpointer, and I'd like to find a good one that will work underwater. White's advertises the TRX as weatherproof but not waterproof.  I've also read about people putting their pinpointer in a sealed baggy and using the vibe feature underwater. 

I'll only be water detecting maybe one hour out of a hundred so the waterproof feature isn't an absolute requirement but all things being equal I'd prefer a waterproof pinpointer.

Just wondering if anyone has any comments or suggestions?

Thanks,

Bob