Impulse AQ - Places You Might Take It

3 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Never would have thought of that! :laugh:

how is the mineral content in lake tahoe. Is it bad?I   heard that the land on that lake is highest price in country.Canandaiugua lake by me is  second so I hear.Canandaigua is where Susan b Anthony had her trial. I found a steamer tag 1865-1889 from a ship by that name that I think burnt.

1 hour ago, Dances With Doves said:

how is the mineral content in that lake.Is it bad?I   heard that the land on that lake is highest price in country.Canandaiugua lake by me is  second so I hear.Canandaigua is where Susan b Anthony had her trial. I found a steamer tag 1865-1889 from a ship by that name that I think burnt.

Lake Tahoe beaches are loaded with magnetite and there are some hot rocks also. Most VLF detectors are getting 50% of depth if they even work at all.

Here is a picture of pure magnetite sand streaking a beach at Tahoe. And a magnet I simply dropped and picked up - a solid golf ball of magnetite. It's places like this where you need a PI detector. A VLF is only scratching the surface.

lake-tahoe-magnetite-sand.jpg
Lake Tahoe magnetite sand

lake-tahoe-magnetite-sand-ball.jpg

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Lake Tahoe beaches are loaded with magnetite and there are some hot rocks also. Most VLF detectors are getting 50% of depth if they even work at all.

Here is a picture of pure magnetite sand streaking a beach at Tahoe. And a magnet I simply dropped and picked up - a solid golf ball of magnetite. It's places like this where you need a PI detector. A VLF is only scratching the surface.

On average lake Ontario is not as bad as that  .It is when a storm hits and separates the tan  sand from black sand that my xterra would overload.  We  also have charcoal looking hotrocks that can be the  size  of a softball.We   did have  a coal plant a few miles away.We also have a river coming  into it from Penn. close by.A Florida hunter from the gulf coast could not believe all the black sand stuck to his magnet and the big hot rocks.He brought one back to  Florida  to show his hunting buddies.

• Like 1

The AQ in its normal all metal or either of the discriminate settings cuts easily through black sand. In addition there is a Volcanic sand setting with special adjustments to operation parameters to cope with the most extreme conditions.

The prototype I had in San Diego in October 2018 hit a buried nickel easily at 17” on Coronado beach with heavy stripes of black sand. The same spot with my Equinox - a very capable multifreak VLF - made about 8”. That was in Beach 2, Beach 1 was too noisy.

Folks with white quartz sand may not find the AQ to be so dramatically superior to VLF multifreakers, need more folks out using them to tell.

Lots of good info on the AQ’s capabilities in mineralized ground is in this thread here on this forum:

• Like 2

Simon, those look like the beaches from the Reunion Island test.

1.jpg

More details on Reunion Island test

Just a FYI for folks. Just because a beach (or stream bed) is black in color does not mean it has a high magnetic content. A beach may simply be derived from a dark rock, like black shale, which could have a low magnetite content. “Black sands” is a specific mining term that relates more to magnetic mineral content than the actual color. Magnetic sands are almost always black in color, but all sands that are black in color are not necessarily magnetic in content.

Notes on PI detecting and beaches

For folks who don’t check out the Reunion thread, they had and AQ and an Excalibur. The AQ found a bunch of gold rings in the space of a week. Alexandre’s  email report of the trip stated that the Excalibur couldn’t detect a gold ring on the surface of the sand - (he said “above” the sand, but he meant on the surface - darned Google translate!).

The sand from Reunion is the same stuff used in one of the bags in the now well known first video of the “Manta” at Hardelot beach in France.

You have probably all seen it, bit in case not, here’s a link to my Vimeo site where I parked a copy with titles in English.

The capability to cancel the salt while penetrating highly magnetic soil is very impressive. It remains to be seen how many beach hunters will find it superior on their beaches.

Meanwhile, lots of folks will be tempted to try it on inland sites and I expect that as a relic machine it might be really powerful. Culpepper VA for example - where folks now mostly use ML GPX machines to get depth in that terrible red dirt. We will see. It wasn’t made for that, but still....

As a nugget machine, not so much, it is designed to not detect fly speck sized low conductors - the Impulse “AU” will deal with that.

On 5/24/2020 at 4:57 PM, Rick Kempf said:

As a nugget machine, not so much, it is designed to not detect fly speck sized low conductors - the Impulse “AU” will deal with that.

Who wants that little stuff anyway? :laugh: I’ve got a couple places the AQ is going to get used for nugget detecting. It would be fun to be the first person to find a nugget with one. I’ve got a good shot as very few people who get these will be gold prospectors.

fisher-impulse-aq-logo.jpg

The great thing about Steve’s House is how it is becoming an ever more important repository of good data on metal detecting and its technology.

phrunt asked about how magnetic the Reunion black sand is - easy peasy- the answer is right here at “home” - scroll down in this link and all the numbers are right there.

Unfortunately nobody will know for sure until somebody tries. It is not true that PI detectors are unaffected by magnetic sands... this should be obvious when a special volcanic mode is needed. There is a point where even a PI will simply overload and become ineffective. I have a solid chunk of magnetite about 10” square and you may as well try to detect through steel plate as detect something under that rock.