Gold And How Its Found

hi guys and gals i have been interested in gold for years but so far no luck have read heaps of books ect dont need x marks the spot but some advice on how you guys have found your bits and bobs im hoping to retire next year and chase some gold up at talbot in victoria an old friend has just bought a home there thanking you all happy hunting

You've got the most important part figured out. That is the desire to do it. My only advise would be to not only "think outside the box" but don't even think about boxes.

Best of luck to you Sir.

• Like 2

For me it is as much historical research as knowing geology. Simply getting the right areas and putting in the hours can pay off without knowing a thing about geology, though those who go that next extra step have a definite advantage. This article uses New Mexico as an example, but the methodology is the same anywhere.

https://www.detectorprospector.com/magazine/steves-guides/where-to-prospect-for-gold-nuggets-r121/

• Like 5

Hi Geelong guy,

I learned the hard way, metal detecting by myself in known gold area's till I found my first nugget about 1 year later.... Best advice, is to metal detect, drywash, or whatever way your hunting for gold, is to get out with an experienced person, whos willing to show and teach you.  Wish I did that myself. If you offer to pay for gas, lunch ect... Im sure an experienced person in your area would be willing to take you under their wing for a little bit, most of the prospectors on here,  and know are awesome guys !!!

Take Care,

Dave.

• Like 7

thanks guys for all your information im starting on the geology as we speak even an idiot like me might work it out one day love this hobby pulling up at lunchtime so enjoyable out the bush my only gripe is the courthouse hotel is shut at the moment meet a couple of farmers that have invited me to there properties for a hunt around im waiting till this virus thing goes quite once again thank you all for your information

Last year I went to Victoria for 3 weeks in search of gold.  I was given much good advice in this thread.

I'd never been to Australia and I was 'hoping' more than researching because I didn't know how to use the research tools you have there.  The state maps for Victoria are excellent for the layers they have.  There is someone in Geelong who gave me some of the best advice.  You'll see him in the thread.

I didn't find much gold on my trip just using the purchased maps available for all prospectors.  You are doing the right thing by going on private land with the farmers who own the property.  Please be generous to them on the split if you hit gold.  It WILL pay off with future opportunities.

Mitchel

• Like 3

Here's my thoughts...

Pick a main (good) area to target and stay in that area for some time - like months even if you aren't finding anything.

Finding gold is hard if you don't know your detector and don't know how to read the ground. You have to do the apprenticeship.

IMO moving all over the country trying new areas every day is a big mistake when starting out.

Don't be that arsehole who finds a monster nugget on their first few trips - nobody will like you.

You need to get detector fit and digging strong, keep easing up on the bungy and eat heaps of lolly snakes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 5/26/2020 at 12:03 AM, klunker said:

You've got the most important part figured out. That is the desire to do it. My only advise would be to not only "think outside the box" but don't even think about boxes.

Best of luck to you Sir.

What he said. I would totally forget about research bla bla. (in the VIC context) Hit the outskirts, the rubbish looking ground - but in known areas. The GT has been done to death, sure if you have the latest detector and are a gun go for it, if not hit the untouched ugly bits. You never know. Shit thats how I met my wife.

18 hours ago, monkeycreek said:

What he said. I would totally forget about research bla bla. (in the VIC context) Hit the outskirts, the rubbish looking ground - but in known areas. The GT has been done to death, sure if you have the latest detector and are a gun go for it, if not hit the untouched ugly bits. You never know. Shit thats how I met my wife.

When you are new how do you have any idea what an 'untouched ugly' bit is?  

• Like 2