Results Of Gold Nugget Detector Survey

I'll make some graphs for fun tonight, I like data visualization. If it's done next year it'll be easy to see changes visually too, or make a little animation.

• Like 1

Lots of various interesting stuff to pull out of this data, here are some. Also probably useful to note that online/forum results (probably) differ quite a bit from the field. For instance I still see quite a few 3500's out and about despite their poor showing here, and quite a few GMT's as well, but mostly by people who don't post or go online.

Also of note, I've seen some survey responses that were contradictory to other responses in other threads posted before or after the survey, nothing official anyways all in good fun but come on guys...  :lol:  :ph34r:

*sorry for the small text, i had to shrink everything down so the picture wasn't gigantic on the forum.

post-569-0-09184400-1443666082_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Nice charts Jason, thanks!

It is just a brief incomplete snapshot. That is why I lumped similar models together. I don't think it much matters if it is a GP3000 or a GP3500.

Obviously there are machines not listed that are getting used. There are people using AT Golds and MXTs and Eureka Golds and finding gold in the last year. I have said repeatedly don't read too much into it. But I do think the very broad picture is represented halfway accurately. Lots of people using GPX detectors for sure. Lots of Gold Bugs for sure. Most people have moved on from the SD models for sure. And so on.

One problem doing this again would be people trying to stuff the ballot box for various reasons. This was quick and caught people off guard so no time to try and manipulate it much.

Be nice to know an average depth for nuggets found. How many ZED users are digging nugs 4 - 8 inches. Sure, they are using the big gun but are they finding gold that other machines could not? That is what I wonder about.

Like any hunter, do some ZED users just have dreams of the "big one" or do they actually, consistently find them?

Until I know that I'll stick with my GMT, Infinium and ATG. (after this survey, really wanting a GB2 tho)

Hey, I could find a pounder with what I've got - you never know!

People often confuse the abilities of prospecting metal detectors with the abilities of the prospectors running them. Human nature I guess.

Do golf clubs make the golfer or is it the other way around?

There is no one metal detector best for all people, all places, and all budgets. We all have to decide what will work best for us given our circumstances. I certainly wish the best of luck to anyone using whatever they have. The best weapon in your arsenal is knowledge and hopefully this forum helps add to that most important of prospecting tools.

• 2 years later...

Hey Steve, any thoughts on starting another poll to see what people are now mainly running in 2019.  Would be interesting to see some of the shifts, especially with all the new vlf gold machines on the market. 

Just a thought.  

• Like 2

That’s back when I was active on all the forums and took advantage of that to collect info. A project for somebody else now if they want to tackle it. I am sure the ratio of GPX to GPX has shifted in favor of GPZ and quite a few Gold Bug users moved to Gold Monsters. The 24K is too new to have had any real impact

2 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

That’s back when I was active on all the forums and took advantage of that to collect info. A project for somebody else now if they want to tackle it. I am sure the ratio of GPX to GPX has shifted in favor of GPZ and quite a few Gold Bug users moved to Gold Monsters. The 24K is too new to have had any real impact

It will be interesting to see in a few years how many go with the equinox instead of the gold monster.  Most of the comments I've read from people that have both is there isn't much difference in capability for nuggets,  but the equinox is more useful everywhere else. 

I'm doing everything with the equinox by necessity (and inclination I suppose,  I've always been a own one of something and know it well type person),  your doing it by choice, I'm wondering how many others will go that route too.

• Like 1