Best Detector Values Under $500

I like the developing line-up! I'd like to see a few more manufacturers join in; of course!👍👍

• Like 1

Just for info concerning the detectors weights ;

I measured 1,42kg incl. the coil cover for the Simplex+ ( instead of 1,3kg from the Nokta specs  above) .

And 1,33kg for the Vanquish 540 V12 incl. the coil cover ( 1,3kg from the ML specs above )

• Like 1

On 5/25/2020 at 10:28 AM, palzynski said:

Just for info concerning the detectors weights ;

I measured 1,42kg incl. the coil cover for the Simplex+ ( instead of 1,3kg from the Nokta specs  above) .

And 1,33kg for the Vanquish 540 V12 incl. the coil cover ( 1,3kg from the ML specs above )

Companies are not always that accurate with weights, and Nokta/Makro in particular comes up heavier in reality more often than not.

Another great value, the Teknetics Patriot, same machine as the Fisher F70, for $399. Unlike the machines above, there are at least 26 coil options available for this detector. All F70 coils from Fisher, NEL, Cors, and Detech will work on the Patriot.

The F70 was a very under appreciated machine, the equal of the F75 in most respects but always overshadowed by its more expensive sibling. See what Dave Johnson says at this link.

teknetics-patriot-metal-detector.jpg
Teknetics Patriot metal detector

teknetics-patriot-specifications.jpg

• Like 2

I guess my first leaning would be to the detector that has more optional coils available.  Sven mentioned about Deeptech, the DTVG accessory coils came out so slow he left the machine before he was fully able to appreciate the machines capabilities.  Minelab  was very slow with the Nox  accessory coils.  I think if Garrett quickly either produces coils for the Apex or accommodates someone like Detech to produce aftermarket coils,  they'll steal the show.

• Like 2

Yeah, I’m big into coils. I added the Patriot above as a good value option, with coils being its standout feature.

Ace Apex - One coil

Simplex - One coil

Vanquish - Three coils

Patriot - at least 26 coils (note, some Cors and NEL coils are duplicates)

I’d sure like to put a White’s on the list, but frankly they do not have anything under $500 I’d even consider. The MX7 at $549 is as close as they get.

I know it is "old" tech but the Teknetics Omega 8500 and the Teknetics T2 are still available from Teknetics Direct and other dealers for less than $500 brand new. There are some specific situations like lower EMI and mild mineralization (Omega 8500) and lower EMI and deeper targets in iron (T2) where I might pick these detectors over the Simplex and Vanquish 540.

For gold prospecting in mild to moderate mineralization and all metal mode I would definitely pick the F19/Teknetics G2+/Time Ranger Pro over the Simplex and Vanquish 540. I guess there are some Gold Bug Pros for sale under $500 too from some dealers.

I have seen a few dealers selling Makro Gold Racers and Nokta Impacts brand new for just over $500 ($509) which is a really good deal on those excellent detectors.

I could throw in the Fisher F44/Land Ranger Pro/ Tek Liberator but you better have really mild dirt or those three will get poor depth. I would pick the Simplex and Vanquish 540 over them all day long. If I wasn't hunting submerged and I didn't need all metal, my pick would be the Vanquish just for the target ID/tone ID accuracy at depth and the (to me personally) nicer audio.

I am not even going to recommend the current ACE series. The new APEX on paper absolutely destroys the old ACE series. 

Jeff

• Like 4

phrunt,  I agree with you on Minelabs short sightedness in the after-market coil strategy.  I'm sure it was a marketing ploy originally to bolster their in-house sales of their own competing detectors (Nox vs Monster). But ultimately it may come back to bite them.  When Whites took on Detech to supply their own in-house coils it was a big 'gold star' for both companies and the reciprocal effects served the MD community for the greater good. My hopes are that Garrett will follow suit in some way. 

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 1:55 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

Teknetics Patriot, same machine as the Fisher F70, $399. Unlike the machines above, there are at least 26 coil options available for this machine. All F70 coils from Fisher, NEL, Cors, and Detech will work on the Patriot.

The F70 was a very under appreciated machine, the equal of the F75 in most respects but always overshadowed by its more expensive sibling. See what Dave Johnson says at this link.

When I think of the f-70 I think of mud puppy from a other forum.His  way with  words is unique  .Even David Johnson liked  his writing skills I think.He cut off  the fins on his     f-70       machine  to make it more sleek.   He is into clad with a screwdriver at warp speed   .He  said f-70 is perfect machine for that type of hunting.

• Confused 1

59 minutes ago, phrunt said:

What I think is it means a whole lot of other detectors are overpriced and outdated and just won't sell anymore!  These are a bunch of impressive detectors for the price.  I'd happily use any one of them although I do prefer multi frequency detectors so that puts two ahead of the others, then I love coils so that puts one well head of the others.... but then again it's mostly got so many coil options due to how old the detector actually is.  Minelab's big mistake in my opinion is locking down on aftermarket coils, this is going to give the Apex an edge over the Vanquish even if it doesn't perform as well overall when the aftermarket manufacturers start pumping out Apex coils.  Having the right coil for the task can be just as important as having the right detector.

I don't understand what they're trying to prevent by locking down on aftermarket coils, it would be different if they had a big range of 10 or so coils and wanted us all to buy them, but they don't and they're not going to..... As the competitors catch up on detector technology perhaps they'll realise their mistake as coils maybe the thing that gets people to switch away from Minelab detectors.

They could have made    more coils for the xterra.  The  after market coil makers got around the chip in coil. Coiltech   Has permission to make coils but they now charge $263  for 6"  digger coil. To much for me.You can get 7"Mars 3kz. coil for much less and probably better.