Not As Many Barbers As Dan Scored Recently, But...

Barbers are always a pleasant surprise.  Looks like the ground is not good on copper coins. 

• Like 1

Thanks guys!  Mark -- indeed; the dirt in this site (and many, in this area) is not particularly kind to copper coins...

Steve

3 hours ago, steveg said:

...a pretty good day by Oklahoma standards!

Two Barber dimes and four Indian Head pennies in one hunt.  I'd say that's a pretty good day anywhere in the USA!  Although I'm having trouble reading the dates, it looks like some of your old Wheaties have mintmarks.  That's always a good feeling, at least at the start.  I think I see a 1916-D.  Not so scarce, but if you have one of those magic wands, wave it over and see if you can turn that into a Merc.  :biggrin:

• Like 1

GB -- LOL!  Thanks for the kind words.

I think the wheatie you are referring to is a 1915-D, BUT -- the magic wand that turns the coin into a Merc, should have no trouble changing the 5 to a 6, right?!  😉

Steve

Well, yes, but if it's like the Genie's lamp you only get 3 wishes, so don't use up two of them on this one coin!

Actually, 1915-D is better (scarcer) than 1916-D:  22 million minted vs. 36 million.  I don't think I ever found the '15-D back when I was a kid and you could actually find old Wheaties searching through bank rolls.  Nice one!

GB -- LOL!  

Unless it was an '09-S VDB, I don't even think much about "key dates" on copper coins; most of them come out of the ground in bad enough condition that they don't maintain any value, unfortunately...

Steve

2 hours ago, steveg said:

Unless it was an '09-S VDB, I don't even think much about "key dates" on copper coins; most of them come out of the ground in bad enough condition that they don't maintain any value, unfortunately...

I'll second that 'unfortunately' sentiment.  Double down with 25% nickel, 75% copper (our USA 'nickels').  At least the 90% silver coins survive nicely in most (but not all) soils.  But being a coin collector from early childhood, where finding any date+mintmarked coin which filled an empty space in the Whitman folders was a thrill, I still hope for those even when forced to accept the condition issues.  Few of us are going to cash in, let alone get rich off of our coin finds.  It's the anticipated excitement that keep many of us returning to the hunt.

• Like 1