Gold Bug 2 & Gold Bug Price Reduction?

I as just alerted by a forum member that Cabelas is advertising the Fisher Gold Bug 2 for $574, a new low price. I do not know if this is a clearance sale, or a permanent price reduction, or if it is offered at other dealers. I'm sure we will sort that out real fast! :smile:

They also have the basic Gold Bug on sale for $375. Do not confuse this with the Gold Bug Pro. The Pro has both ground grab and manual ground balance, the basic Bug has ground grab only. Otherwise however they are the same detector.

https://www.cabelas.com/catalog/browse/_/N-1104188?CQ_view=list&CQ_ztype=GNU&CQ_ref=~type-Gold%2BDetectors

cabelas-sale-gold-bug-2-gold-bug-metal-detectors.jpg

This may be temporary but it also in my opinion is overdue as a permanent move on the basic Gold Bug at least. That model really should just be discontinued in favor of the nearly identical Gold Bug Pro, but if not it sure needed to come down in price. It adds to the confusion out there and some people buy it thinking they are getting the Pro. Just clear it out and discontinue it.

Gold Bug 2 is a tougher story. It is in a class of it's own as an old analog model that with 6" concentric still may best the best tiny gold getter on the market. Newer machines at lower prices may very well equal it though, or close enough for most people. The main problem with the Bug 2 is it is expensive to manufacture so I am not sure a permanent price reduction would be sustainable. Fisher has discontinued several models in the last couple years and may be consolidating or revamping their lineup around the introduction of a new website.

Lond story short this may be just a temporary sale or a sign of bigger things... we will see.

• Like 3

Mr.. Steve...Doesn't that mean Fisher will be coming with a new /gold...?/Vlf detector soon?

14 minutes ago, EL NINO77 said:

Mr.. Steve...Doesn't that mean Fisher will be coming with a new /gold...?/Vlf detector soon?

Well if it really is a model closeout, maybe. But again this may just be Cabelas clearing out Fisher - maybe they are done with First Texas in general or just First Texas nugget detectors? I sure do not know. I guess we will find out if other dealers also start offering this deal.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Well if it really is a model closeout, maybe. But again this may just be Cabelas clearing out Fisher - maybe they are done with First Texas in general or just First Texas nugget detectors? I sure do not know. I guess we will find out if other dealers also start offering this deal.

I recall this post from last year, although I don't know if that was a systemwide sale or just Majuba Man's store.  Maybe Cabellas just being Cabellas....

I don't know about much but I do know one thing. If I was a Fisher dealer, held to tight restrictions on a so-called minimum advertised price, and then saw an outfit like Cabelas get preferential treatment.... I would be furious. I am not saying the case here, but if not then similar deals should be available from other dealers.

32 minutes ago, Dances With Doves said:

That a 25 year old detector is still being sold today is  amazing. I would put the  Gold Bug 2 in a Gold Bug pro   housing  with many of it's  features  added to it for $599 and it would sell big.

Actually, I think the Gold Bug Pro was designed to replace the Gold Bug 2. But the gold prices took off and the Gold Bug 2 refused to die. If they can make money on it First Texas will keep building them. The main battle has been finding new parts to replace old analog parts as they go obsolete and retuning the detector to act the same. I wonder what a close look at the circuit board of a 25 year old GB2 and a new one would reveal?

• Like 2

I have no doubt that Fisher Gold Bug 2 still keeps up with the most sensitive detectors to the smallest gold ... it is still very good in that and it had a 6 "concentric coil to complete it ..

Some time ago I had one of the good pieces ... where the high setting of the treshold managed to significantly increase the sensitivity and reach of very small gold discrimination mode ...- it was visibly especially on a small 6 "CC coil ...

I heard that a test DD coil was also made for this detector .. but I don't know any details about it ...304881502_Februar1Iphone5S2019031_DxO.jpg.ca96aeea805a8944329d312932ed1975.jpg

• Like 1

In today's email. there was a 10% off coupon code just for today. Someone can really score a great deal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, phrunt said:

There is absolutely no need for the Gold Bug to exist, scrap it and leave the Gold Bug Pro as Steve pointed out, the Pro would cost them no more to make and there is just no need for the Gold Bug to exist. 

I think a lot of the hard rock miners would strongly disagree. Granted there are many high frequency detector options other than the GB2 these days, but there is a reason that the high demand and cult status exist with the GBII. If you have a product that is generating substantial revenue for your company why would you axe it? I wouldn't. Could it use a redesign utilizing modern circuitry and components? That's completely obvious. They should have produced a newer iteration of the higher frequency detector before Minelab and Makro beat them to the punch years ago.