Gold Bug 2 & Gold Bug Price Reduction?

Now all we need is a PI detector with greater sensitivity to tiny bits of fly poop gold than the GB2, but with the ability to find it in the very worst mineralization.

If such a thing existed, how could it be employed to change gold seeking?. All the places where “separation” by dry washing, or wet methods including panning - where the mineralization has made VLF’s useless but the prevailing size of “bits” made PI’s unproductive.  Is that a possibility.

I ask, because, I suspect that such a device can and will be devised - by somebody.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Rick Kempf said:

Now all we need is a PI detector with greater sensitivity to tiny bits of fly poop gold than the GB2, but with the ability to find it in the very worst mineralization.

If such a thing existed, how could it be employed to change gold seeking?. All the places where “separation” by dry washing, or wet methods including panning - where the mineralization has made VLF’s useless but the prevailing size of “bits” made PI’s unproductive.  Is that a possibility.

I ask, because, I suspect that such a device can and will be devised - by somebody.

Already been done, they call it an SDC 2300. Fisher may produce an Impulse with the air test hots, but that’s the easy part. It’s getting it to handle the ground at the same time that matters. But I always find your faith and coy posts heart-warming Rick, so don’t give it up. :smile:

Coy my Aunt Sally. I am pleased that my “bait” caught the big fish however! Lol

I had an SDC - sensitive yes, but GB2 sensitive, maybe I didn’t push it hard enough, but I never saw it. That warbly threshold - ug. Deeper in real world conditions than the GB2 in higher mineral, of course, but that is not my thesis - my question is about a hypothetical detector  deeper in tough mineral than the GB2 is in good ground - deeper than the SDC in any ground.

But never mind about all that - is there anything in my speculation that such a device (deeper on fly poop than the ‘’’sdc in any ground) could make a change? If not, then perhaps my whole thesis is bunk and the folks can forget my speculations.

• Like 1

SDC, and no, I don’t claim it’s more sensitive to tiny stuff than a GB2. There is a reason for that. If you go there with a short enough delay, it will also light up the hot rocks the GB2 lights up, making the exercise pointless. PI detectors that have not been proven to be better than the SDC in real world hot rock conditions don’t count. No reason to believe me on that however... the testers will no doubt discover it for themselves. However, if the Impulse AU simply equaled the SDC for gold sensitivity and did it in a more ergonomic package for a better price, it would be considered a significant win. And that I have no doubt is possible.

The SDC with stock coil can consistently recover gold down to 0.5 grain. Smaller might be possible under ideal conditions, but 0.5 grain is a realistic lower limit. That would of course not match the Gold Bug 2 at under 0.1 grain, but the Bug does have the advantage of that 4” x 6” magical concentric coil.

Long story short, for a PI, I don’t think reliable recovery of sub-grain gold is anything to sneeze at. That being the case the SDC has indeed pulled huge amounts of smaller gold out of areas that VLF detectors can’t handle, while also being incredibly easy to operate. The ergonomics suck however, it’s very pricey, and there is that warble. I agree, ugh. So bring it on Fisher! :smile:

We really have gone off topic, but seriously Rick, were it not for the aforementioned issues with the SDC 2300, I would recommend it to all prospectors over any VLF. It simply ignores the ground and hot rocks with no special knowledge of tuning needed, automatic everything really. As close to turn on and go as possible, get a signal, it’s a target. Way easier than trying to run a VLF in hot rock laden ground. An affordable Impulse AU that simply matched that, but did it for a price regular folks can afford, would sell by the van load.

4 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I wonder what a close look at the circuit board of a 25 year old GB2 and a new one would reveal?

Sounds like a job for Simon/Phrunt!

Just now, GB_Amateur said:

Sounds like a job for Simon/Phrunt!

There are operational differences. The threshold used to super boost the signal in disc mode if you turned it up on the old machines. The new GB2 the threshold is completely tied to all metal mode only, has no effect on disc responses. Coils have also changed over the years.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

There are operational differences. The threshold used to super boost the signal in disc mode if you turned it up on the old machines. The new GB2 the threshold is completely tied to all metal mode only, has no effect on disc responses. Coils have also changed over the years.

Hadn't realized that.  So in the transition, was something (worthwhile) lost?  I'm guessing 'yes' or you wouldn't have made the request in the first place.

• Like 1