I am posting this here since there are folks on this forum from Arizona. I was wondering if anyone might have information like rules, regulations or possibly links to which agencies regulate and permit suction dredging. I know, there is not much water in AZ,  but there must be places that a person might find gold in streams.

I’m not sure of the exact process. There are so many claims here you might consider a joining a prospecting club that has already done the paperwork for obtaining the proper permission from the relevant government agencies for dredging.  For instance, the paperwork I have from our club shows written permissions from the National Forest Service, the BLM, and the Army Corps of Engineers. AZ Jim is right. Dredging is done here during monsoons and other limited times of water flow in certain places. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply folks. I am not looking in regard to claims or claiming as much as I am looking for which agencies regulate and permit suction dredging.

Where I live dredging is banned, I want to know if it is allowed in AZ and where. An agency link for this information would be great.

As far as where to go and if it is claimed, I can do my own due diligence. I do know and understand that AZ is mostly dry, but also know that there are a precious few streams that run all year.

Thanks folks

24 minutes ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Thanks for the reply folks. I am not looking in regard to claims or claiming as much as I am looking for which agencies regulate and permit suction dredging.

Where I live dredging is banned, I want to know if it is allowed in AZ and where. An agency link for this information would be great.

As far as where to go and if it is claimed, I can do my own due diligence. I do know and understand that AZ is mostly dry, but also know that there are a precious few streams that run all year.

Thanks folks

That would be the land management agency that oversees whatever land you are looking at. BLM and Forest Service primarily. There is no one statewide agency or permit, and even each Forest would need to be contacted separately.

BLM Arizona might be a good place to start. You will probably be told it is a Notice level activity. Some people would dispute that, but I’m staying out of that one.

• Like 1

I know a club that has a dredging claim in Nevada!  Comstock Gold Prospectors has a claim that is east of Rye Patch.  The shore is claimed but their claim is in the water holding area.  I think it is shallow but I don't know the specific details.

https://cgpgold.org/

• Like 1

Jim_Alaska, I hope that didn’t sound like I was telling you how to research claims. What I mean is that because our suitable dredging areas are very limited here, the clubs may be an easier route for you. To your point, and to add to what has been said, it appears you may need written permission from the land agency plus the ACoE. I remember hearing before that the ACoE is involved in monitoring all drainages here whether there is water or not. The club paperwork I have seems to suggest that, as well. But, I’ll have to leave that definitive answer to someone else that has done it all themselves. Hope that helps. Best luck. 

• Like 1

During the winter there are some creeks that are always flowing. Black canyon, Big bug, Humbug. There are also a lot of smaller creeks that flow with the snow melt. I found a 3.25 oz nugget 5 feet down in one of them back in the 80s. That was with a 3" and I still had to run the water over the top of the hole with pipes. 

As far as regulations. I know on club claims you must refill your hole. Which is odd as the water/gravel fills it in anyway. I have not heard of any regulations as to the size. You may try and contact the Arizona GPAA and ask them.

Tom H. 

mother nugget!.jpg

• Like 7

3 hours ago, mn90403 said:

I know a club that has a dredging claim in Nevada!  Comstock Gold Prospectors has a claim that is east of Rye Patch.  The shore is claimed but their claim is in the water holding area.  I think it is shallow but I don't know the specific details.

https://cgpgold.org/

I’ve been out to that claim a few years ago it’s a leased claim if I’m remembering it right, just as you reach the foothills there’s a nice flat area the year round stream runs through you can park next to the water the stream was 6 to 10 feet across and follows the dirt road up into the hills the research I found said the source for gold in the stream likely is a few miles up the road but supposedly hasn’t been found.

• Like 1