GMT: Water In The Shaft

beardog

Just thought I would relate a happening on my past hunt. 

In water about 30 inches deep I got a hit. I set my machine on the bank, control box lower than the coil and started moving some cobble. I grabbed the detector to do an iron check before committing to the dig. WOW! I'm glad I made that decision! 

I had carefully searched in the river and watched the depth but forgot about the adjustment holes in the upper shaft. The shaft filled with water (apparently) and when I laid it down the water rolled back and was draining down thru the iron test trigger. Can't be good!

I am wondering if drilling a hole in the bottom carbon fiber shaft is a good idea?

1515Art - Good suggestion, I am thinking about plugging the top of the bottom shaft but the holes in the upper shaft would still be there. Then, I could use silicon to plug the holes on the upper shaft but the locking buttons, at the bottom of the upper part, can still take in water. I wouldn't want to silicon those.

My question about drilling the hole in the lower shaft is because the carbon fiber may not do well if the fibers are cut, even a small hole may cause fuzzing of the fibers and may allow water to soak into the fibers, causing them to swell and separate. I'm not sure about it so thought I'd try for an answer, maybe someone has done this.

1515Art - Good suggestion, I am thinking about plugging the top of the bottom shaft but the holes in the upper shaft would still be there. Then, I could use silicon to plug the holes on the upper shaft but the locking buttons, at the bottom of the upper part, can still take in water. I wouldn't want to silicon those.

My question about drilling the hole in the lower shaft is because the carbon fiber may not do well if the fibers are cut, even a small hole may cause fuzzing of the fibers and may allow water to soak into the fibers, causing them to swell and separate. I'm not sure about it so thought I'd try for an answer, maybe someone has done this.

Carbon Fibre by nature is a Baked Product so I would not worry about drilling in to it as we Drilled thousands of holes in it to fit it to Aircraft and then pop rivet it to other materials etc, Drill and 1/8th inch hole on the under side of the lower rod just above the clevis insert and all will be fine, just clean out the hole every couple of months because of mud build up,

hope this helps,,  John

Hello Beardog, congrats on your gmt. i am glad to know of your experience with it, seems i am not the only one who has learning to do.

I had same thing with water in handle/tube and all you need to do is fill upper tube before switch with silicone if you dont want to drill. i had my nokta do same thing too and will put silicone in intermediate tube to keep it out. Good luck out there.