Fisher Impulse AQ Ltd, Who Is Getting One?

For me:

Cons:

• I like it but I do zero beach detecting.
  • There doesn't appear to be manual ground balancing which is necessary in all areas I like to hunt.
  • I do dive and wouldn't mind taking on underwater in a few places had this been capable. 

Pros:

• Form - this looks fantastic.
  • Refined discrimination in a pulse machine? Yes please.
  • Weight - Hooray!

All considered - I will be eagerly awaiting news of tests in the gold fields and/or a second iteration of the machine meant for land/gold field use.

I am patiently waiting. I am hoping the price is right. Where would I make the purchase?

While detecting a while with the Aquastar prototype.  I did do good with the 8 inch coil with the 10 micro second pulse delay but the 11.5 inch coil had to run at a slower delay in ocean water more then 3 feet deep.  I then got Eric Foster to build me a 10 inch coil for my Aquastar.  The 10 inch coil became my main coil because it would operate at 10 micro second pulse delay in ocean water over 3 feet deep.  Later on Eric only sold Aquastars with the 10 inch coil.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In the meantime i may do a PI session tonight on the beach with my G5c LTD twicked by Alexandre and now equipped with a TDI coil the best of 3 worlds.....probaby gonna find jack shit but a bit of fresh air won't hurt

RR

• Like 4

I only  have the infinium for a PI machine.It has found me many rings.  I like the audio on that  machine  even though it is not  the depth demons as other Pi machines.I have not used it since july 2018 .Which is a month before I got my Nox 800, but in digging only deep    targets I found 3 gold  rings that were all nice in      size the last time I used it  .I  Dug my biggest gold with it in 100 gram 10k medallion  with chain.   I wonder how much     deeper this new machine is?

• Like 1

I will be an early adopter. I too have followed the news on this machine since I first heard of it being developed. I am impressed enough to take a chance that it will perform "close to" what I have seen and or heard. My last PI was the ATX and although I had multiple problems with coil cable issues (all under warranty) thankfully, it did me well. As far as being only good to 1 meter...so be it. I only hunt to chin deep so I should be within its limitations. I haven't heard if it will be semi buoyant or will sink like a rock. And when it is too rough to get in the water, and that happens a lot, then wet sand hunting will be no problem especially with its light weight. A 4 hour battery is not good for me, as a 4 hour hunt is on the low side of the time I spend and extended driving to some locations requires me to do extra long hunts. So another battery or a larger one will be in order. 

• Like 1

I did great with my ATX and am quite satisfied with its performance. My bar for Impulse is simple... just do as well as the ATX. Anything else I will consider a bonus. Even the disc thing... whatever. Just give me the PI power I crave.

It was that ATX heavy 7 lbs out of water (honestly was just fine fully submerged) plus constant issues with keeping rods and camlocks free and functional that finally put me off. I’m actually a little more inclined to be walking the beach or wading these days, so the lighter well balanced design of Impulse is a big plus. The 1 meter rating in my case therefore offers no real impediment. Even for mask and snorkel use I can live with that, though I would far prefer at least a 10 foot rating.

90% of my detecting in the last decade has been with high power PI type detectors. VLF detecting by comparison for me is a surface scratching sideshow, and being without a PI now for almost two years has made it hard for me to get very enthusiastic about going metal detecting. The bottom line whatever flaws exist I really need to get another PI detector ASAP so I can get my metal detecting mojo back. Yet I’ve not been willing to just go back to something I’ve had before. Impulse is coming just in time to prevent my making that mistake. I don’t know how many times I’ve looked at the TDI in the last year, only to shy away from the buy button at the last moment.

fisher-impulse-aq-discriminating-pulse-induction-jewelry-metal-detector.jpg

• Like 1

Steve... Your thoughts are mine exactly. My PI experience started years ago hunting the black sand swimming areas in the Adirondack Mountains. I was using a very popular submersible VLF and going nowhere with depth. I even sent it back to the manufacturer thinking something was wrong. No problems with it except thick Black Sand especially near the shore!  Bring on the Infinium and multiple gold rings emerged from my hunted out areas. After that enlightenment I never used a VLF again. Next came the ATX and you have heard my story with that. I too would be happy with a machine equal to its performance.  A little better waterproofing with the AQ wouldn't hurt, but I'll take my chances. I was going to get the TDIBH but have been waiting patiently for the AQ. I've hunted with different VLf's and PI's for over 30 years in the gold fields of Arizona and Nevada. At least now if I trip and fall down it's in the wet sand and I'm not pulling cactus spines out a month later. 😄 

• Like 5