Minelab Equinox Depth In Salt Water

PPP

I hunt in salt water waste deep with both Garrett sea hunter(big coil) and Equinox .was disappointed about the depth i get with the Equinox compared to sea hunter.It does't even touch the depth i get with the sea hunter.It finds of course small stuff which sea hunter doesn't see at all but the depth is lacking.Don't know if i have to sell the Equinox or not,any help?

Comparing a VLF to a PI machine for depth is like comparing a hammer to a screwdriver.  They're designed for different jobs.  The PI will always win out on a depth scale but can't discriminate as a VLF machine can....just the nature of the beast. 

But...if you want detection of very small targets with a discrimination capability, keep the Equinox.  Keep the Sea Hunter for a solid underwater machine where trash may be minimal.  Having said that, prepare yourself to dig everything and at considerable depth...as you've seen.

Bottom line: No one detector does it all.  Choose the best tool for the job at hand...don't try to turn screws with a hammer or drive nails with a screwdriver. 😉

Just the view from my foxhole.... 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Hello i am not yet and expert but here are a few tips to unleash the power:

1)Slow sweep

2)Good GB

3)Reactivity as low as possible 1/2/3/ and pinpoint in 4 (even ) i think you are talking an inch every time you slow down the reac

4)With the large coil think you will get an inch extra 

5)All metal ON may grab another inch there 

Hope that help large copper coins here(UK) at a 1 foot easy i think you should be able to get around 45cm on large coin,but the machine will sound like 1 way signal no double beep,i remember reading something like that about the MINELAB QUATTRO where the software was restricting the machine.

Keep us upadted

RR

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yup, the classic PI versus VLF quandary. If you want power and love digging everything, can’t beat a PI for depth. If you want discrimination, you need a VLF. I prefer owning both. But if for some reason you can only own one, I guess you have to choose. Or maybe get a Tarsacci. They claim discrimination to PI depths. But there are Tarsacci owners who keep their Equinox so must be more to it than that.

• Like 2