I got my scoop today. I shouldve done more research before buying one but wanted to get out asap and this one shipped fast. I'll try it out tomorrow or friday. After watching some YouTube videos it seems the guys have scoops with much bigger mouths and more holes drilled. 

This is mine: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LX79QFT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

8DA3424F-06A4-48E4-B035-D3CD9D423975.jpeg

• Like 1

Sid,

Don't sweat it! It will do till you research, and get into the hobby  more! And it can always function as a back-up, or a loaner for a friend! You will "acquire" many tools of the trade, if you do it long enough! 👍👍

• Like 4

I used to live in Jensen Beach and found my best 3 diamond Platinum ring at Port St. Lucie. For my beach detecting, I like a sand scoop with about a 12-14" handle with the scoop made out of 1/2"square screen with a metal cutting lip for the dry sand. Longer handles have too much leverage and get darn heavy when you hold the handle horizontal to shake the sand out. The square screen (hardware cloth) drains the sand much quicker than a scoop with drilled holes. Shorter handles mean bending over more. I've seen many folks dragging larger scoops behind them in the dry. Too heavy, expensive and clumsy IMHO. For the wet sand, My favorite is a modified trenching shovel that I weld small sides to and drill small holes in the bottom. The holes are an absolute must to break the suction from the wet sand.  For in the water you'll need a "Water" scoop with large basket, sharp cutting lip and they must be tough to take the pressure of pushing the scoop into the sand with your foot. I don't like this type scoop for the wet sand on the slope because you just about have to walk to the water to rinse the sand out of the scoop. With the shovel, only a quick twist of the wrist dumps the sand out. 

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG

• Like 4

I have am RTG wire scoop with adjustable handle. It  is pretty light but I find small stuff falls through the square wire mesh pretty easy. Drove me crazy trying to get a necklace out of the water and reminds me of one the arcade machines with the claw trying to get stuff. For the most part it works good.

Always wondered if anyone has tried a mud shovel?

https://www.agridrain.com/images/thumbnail.aspx?img=/webres/catalog/xl/565_NSLRMS.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kac said:

I have am RTG wire scoop with adjustable handle. It  is pretty light but I find small stuff falls through the square wire mesh pretty easy. Drove me crazy trying to get a necklace out of the water and reminds me of one the arcade machines with the claw trying to get stuff. For the most part it works good.

Always wondered if anyone has tried a mud shovel?

https://www.agridrain.com/images/thumbnail.aspx?img=/webres/catalog/xl/565_NSLRMS.jpg

I like this spade but the more holes you got the less the scoop/spade will last,but the least it will stick to the bottom of the hole........i am talking of course deep wet sand ........here a lot of detectorist are using transplanting spades:

https://scotsdalegardencentre.co.uk/product-341465.html

I am always happy to try new scoop but remember it needs to be fit for the job and protect/save your back and be able to reach those deep elusive targets....

RR

• Like 1

Good to know. I bet the salt will kill it even quicker.

Deeptech has a nice sand scoop design but the handle is too short.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By AlbyM
      Hi all,
      I just bit the bullet and purchased a Nemo Blu3 portable dive system as another tool in my metal detecting arsenal. For those who don't know about the Nemo, here are a couple of videos that show what it can do:
      I'd love to compare notes with those here who are using a Nemo Blu3 with their Nox underwater. I haven't used it yet myself as I had to put it in my shipment to Vietnam, where I will be starting a new job in a couple of months. So I'm just doing a lot of research at this point.
      The only problem I am hearing so far is that the Nox can be difficult to hear underwater over the Nemo Blu3 regulator whether you use the Minelab "yellow" underwater headphones or don't use headphones at all. For anyone using the Nemo with their Nox (or diving at all), have you been able to find an alternative underwater headphone with better sound or another workaround? Thanks in advance!
    • By phrunt
      Thanks for that, very interesting.  It shows if Tarsacci wanted to make a gold prospecting detector based off that technology they could.
      I also very much like your scoop, that's very similar to the perfect design scoop I want to get. 
    • By pinpointa
      Hi Guys,
      Has any members got or used the Radius Root Slayer coin hunting. Have noticed they have a very narrow one which tapers in which would give you a small hole.
      Regards .
    • By Doc
      This is a demonstration of the Gold SPOT™ being used as a portable gold pan.  It's extremely effective.  Don't worry about the first few minutes where I am out of frame.  Leo Aranza, my buddy, takes over and the rest of the video is well framed. -Doc

• By Doc
      Some posters on other forums rightly questioned whether the Gold SPOT™ Treasure Scoop was really any better than a regular treasure scoop.  Well I already knew the answer to that question.  You see for a year I have been working on the Gold SPOT™ design.  I played with it I re-designed it, I proto-typed it 5 times.  I wanted a design that would speed up nugget recovery and make it easier to keep the nugget in the scoop and not lose it.

Remember, I'm the guy who had a catastrophic failure with the SAGA swing arm, and within days of release I recalled them all from the field.   They just did not perform as they were supposed to.  I went back to the drawing board and sunk thousands more dollars into re-designing and perfecting the SAGA™.  I won't sell something unless I know it is a significant improvement over anything on the market.

But just to show you what I already know, I decided to do a little impromptu video, an experiment.  The video is unedited, except for the very end where I panned across an invoice with a customer's address on it that was sitting on the shipping table, I clipped that out.  Watch the Gold SPOT™ in action and see what you think.

Not to over-hype the Gold SPOT™ but one of the unique features of this scoop is that you can "HEAR" the gold.  I know that sounds like an outrageous claim, but let me explain.  When you get down to a small amount of dirt in a regular scoop along with a nugget and you agitate the scoop back and forth, the nugget does nothing but slide back and forth on the smooth bottom of the scoop.  When you get down to a small amount of dirt in the Gold SPOT™ along with the nugget and you agitate the scoop the nugget rattles back and forth in the trough or channel clicking against the sides of the channel.  Cool, right? 

I know we are getting quite a few Gold SPOTs™ out in the field and I would like to hear some feedback.  Although if you are like me you are probably staying in out of the heat.  -Doc

• By TreasureHunter5
      I got the 1945 us army shovel from my great grandmother’s third husband. It was given to my dad, and then he gave it to me.
      the older bounty hunter tracker I-d 505 detected is from my neighbor, who gave it to me for free. It works great, but I know it isn’t modern or efficient. I don’t have a pinpointer, but I make it work 
      I have a us army web belt to hold my shovel and my finds.
      this is not exactly My stuff just pictures off google.
      let me know what I should improve. Should it upgrade?
      what do you use?