What's Your Most Unusual Token Find?

What's Your Most Unusual Token Find?

Recently Calabash had posted a unusual token find for one loaf which I thought was pretty cool token find. Going through some of my token finds from past years I believe this is my most unusual token find to date. The token is from the Delagua Mine which is located in southern Colorado and is good for one cap, 22mm in size and made of brass. The V.A.F. Co. stands for the Victor-American Fuel Company.

Here is some history on the Delagua Mine:

Delagua developed around the Delagua bituminous coal mine, opened in 1903 and operated by the Victor American Fuel Company. As of 1922, it was the largest mine in Colorado,and at its peak employed at least 900 men. In October 1917, the Delagua Mine was considered one of the "largest and finest 'mining camps' in the state". By 1916 the saloon and dance hall had been converted into the Delagua Social Club, complete with "three first class pool tables and one billiard table", a soda fountain, , bowling alleys, a stage that featured a motion picture show twice weekly and at least 250 members in 1917. At the Delagua Mine on November 8, 1910, an explosion (loud enough to be heard three miles away in Hastings) killed 76 miners. Safety inspectors later determined that the blast was an explosion of gas and dust, caused by the open flame of a head lamp.

298036643_100_3532r(1909x2111).thumb.jpg.77b2e2aa7efdd8df75ed235ddeaf041d.jpg437620656_100_3533r(2240x2418).thumb.jpg.0c45e0946d35321836e108ec55d3cdab.jpg

• Like 6

Great find, and I am still waiting to find a token.

My friend found a saloon  token. I don't have a photo of it. I haven't found a token in a long time.

FYI - Brothel tokens are what's called Fantasy Tokens. These were produced and still are produced for the souvenir trade. There are no know,  real Brothel tokens, at least not with the word Brothel stamped on them. There were some  Saloon and Dance Hall tokens that may have been used in that fashion but none with the word Brothel on it. 

Yes you are right. This didn't have the word brothel on it. It was a saloon token for Saginaw, MI. I was able to id the token using the internet. I don't remember if it said it was a brothel token or could have been and you can't believe everything you read on the internet. Probably was a token for a beer lol.

That is a cool token. Do you think the token is good for a blasting cap? Or a hat.

1 hour ago, Rick N. MI said:

That is a cool token. Do you think the token is good for a blasting cap? Or a hat.

They were for a blasting cap, apparently they made the coal miners pay for everything related to their job.

il_340x270.2122274217_88om.jpg.739cd7c8d2a94253a2f3a1d7f852c589.jpgil_340x270.2218824350_2p53.jpg.33aca4e17fd853656baf49e7e138ccc7.jpg