You Love Pull Tabs. Pull Tab Archeology.

Great article!  I wonder if they realize how much we detectorists could help them with their research (and just in case you are wondering -- I'm being 100% serious).  Take this quote from the article to give an idea of what I mean:

The number of different types of pull tabs that exist in the world is unknown and just one of many questions addressed in our project.

But before we get too optimistic that 45 years (in the USA) since the ring-and-beavertail production was discontinued, here's another snippet from the article that should sober us up:

One thing is sure: archaeologists today, tomorrow or 10.000 years in the future will keep finding 20th century pull tabs in every corner of the planet for ever.

:sad:

• Like 6

On 5/29/2020 at 12:23 PM, Dances With Doves said:

I wish I  had a  1$ for every pull tab I dug.

I'd be happy with a nickel for every one I've dug since that is what I thought they were while I was digging the hole..................😩

Jeff

• Haha 2

After I started researching pull tabs I decided to create a display page with a timeline key. A interesting project at the time.IMG_20200604_212600269.thumb.jpg.c90e6e757d64d3b187c393fb48ad9b8a.jpg

• Like 4

Now you need to add the Target ID's to your display. And when you're done with that, include all the separate piece (broken off beavertails, ringtabs, bent ringtabs, bent squaretabs, cut in half squaretabs,...) TID's.  😁 

Top row, second from right, what does that say?  Is it 'Ball'?  Also, the 2nd from rightmost column, very bottom -- that looks like the 1962-1965 type shown in your history slide.  Those are rare in my area.

A lot of us (older detectorists) remember the pre-mid-60's plain steel lids that had to be opened with a 'churchkey'.  I have a churchkey collection but not from detecting.  I do think I've found one while detecting, but they were coated steel so didn't hold up too well in the ground.  I can imagine some veteran detectorists being able to assemble a collection of those which they've recovered from the ground.

This could turn into a life time project.  The tab with writing says Schlitz and you are right the one at the bottom is 1962 - 1965 vintage. I added a better photo for reference.

IMG_20200605_112919904.jpg

• Thanks 1