Homemade Battery For Impulse AQ Ltd

1 hour ago, danielbecerra said:

Hello, I have only one question, if everything is epoxy-coated hard, why only 1 meter? I imagine it would be for the electronic part outside the battery?

Question answered on the other thread dealing with waterproofing issues. This picture sums it up.

fisher-impulse-aq-ltd-cable-details.jpg

The cable connections are the depth limiting factor on the 1 meter rating.

Steve, how about you turn your battery holder around 180º and the cables can come out the front, use right angle connectors at each end of the battery cable.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, danielbecerra said:

Steve, you surprise me with your comments, you have a solution to everything !!! Have you thought about building a detector? you are really resourceful

I prefer nagging companies into building them for me. :smile: I've rebuilt a couple, but I much prefer detecting to making detectors.

Garrett ATX Strip & Rebuild

Goldmaster GMT Rebuild

• Like 1

Just a reminder - modifying the Impulse in any way and hooking up homemade batteries and cables could very well void the warranty. Just saying.

Frankly, if I get an Impulse I just want to get it with a spare battery, and keep it as pristine as possible. But if anyone gets one and wants to sell it later... contact me. I'd have no problems getting a second hand Impulse (no warranty) to use as a sacrificial lamb. :smile:

• Like 1

On 5/30/2020 at 3:20 AM, PimentoUK said:

I think one thing that has to be considered is the current draw from the battery pack. If you make a longer cable from battery to detector, you have to keep the voltage drop low, by using thicker cable.

Your suggestion that two wires are power, two are audio, may be true, it is a simple solution. But only one wire is truly needed for audio, as the battery -ve ( or +ve ) could in principle be used as the earphone ground.
This then creates a few other possibilities:
Double ground wires for a more solid connection ?
Using a wire for digital data transfer to a security chip in the battery, to stop aftermarket battery manufacture?
Adding a temperature sensor in the battery would be one way of allowing the battery to be fast-charged ( in addition to the common voltage measurement method ) , this could be connected to a pin on the battery connector, but obviously wouldn't be wired to the main detector.
The audio amplifier may be located inside the battery pack, much like the Fisher F75 / Tek T2, and some of Minelab's gold machines.
There's also the possibility of future stereo audio, so perhaps two audio wires could come from the detector to the battery. ( Would some type of mixed-mode, or other stereo technique be useful in the prospecting variant ?)

As a way of giving me more future options, I would have designed with a 5 pin connector from battery to main detector.

3 hours ago, Willy said:

No mystery in the battery pod. Just the battery pack with their integrated charge management, no audio amplifier.

DBC - the rod end connector is potted with epoxy internally. Changing the connector would be a big job and Poof goes your warranty - and maybe your detector.

Also, the battery pod is exoxy filled, so opening it and replacing the batteries with something else is likely impossible to do non-destructively

• Like 2