Homemade Battery For Impulse AQ Ltd

The battery is slotted on top, and there are two big knobs on the side just under the armrest that tighten clamps that fit into the channels on top of the battery. Just slide it in, tighten two knobs, attach cable, done.

Photos below courtesy Rick Kempf

fisher-impulse-aq-limited-battery.jpg
Fisher Impulse AQ Limited battery attachment clamp/knob

fisher-impulse-aq-limited-battery-detail.jpg
Fisher Impulse AQ battery top showing attachment channels

• Like 1

On 6/1/2020 at 3:32 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

Like I said earlier, where there is a will, there is a way. :smile:

A small otter box and these connectors, plus some 18650 batteries... done. If anyone has a better idea for connectors that do not involve Aliexpress I'm all ears.

Some of the best Underwater cylindrical enclosures and fittings come from Blue Robotics...high quality and very high depth ratings. Check out their range.....impressive. Perfect for an 18650 cell setup.

https://bluerobotics.com/store/watertight-enclosures/2-series/wte-vp/#tube

• Like 2

Diameter starts at 2” and just under 4” length ....certainly would allow for a very decent sized battery which would be good for water work with long hunt times. 
One draw back is losing the nicely streamlined OEM battery pack.

• Like 2

On the List and hope to see the "AQ" someday, ...for right now working on a battery from what I have seen of the pictures posted and information shared. Battery is a LiPo 14.8 volt 2200 mAh ..... Found a M-8 4 pin cable... IP69K ...that will allow me to run a 90 out the back (Power/HP cable) to the battery which will set under the arm cuff but further forward the cables are more protected. The cable is Rated at 30v at Max current load of 3 amps. The only bad it is day glow orange. 

dc.jpg

OBN-0000.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi Guys!

Can someone please tell me how the display unit is attached to control unit? I assume its through the shaft and maybe the battery is linked between those units??

29 minutes ago, PPP said:

Hi Guys!

Can someone please tell me how the display unit is attached to control unit? I assume its through the shaft and maybe the battery is linked between those units??

What you call the display unit is also the control unit containing all active electronics.

There is nothing more in the battery pod than the battery pack and connections.

There is a multi-wire cable coming from the enclosure through the handle and the upper shaft and connected to the connector at the end of the shaft (filled at the back with epoxy)

• Like 3

OK, here is my idea. I do not like the headphone battery pass through concept. First, it means disconnecting headphones I could otherwise leave connected. Every disconnect and re-mate is a problem. Second, it adds an extra fitting to every battery - same problem.

So I want to split the power and audio at the detector, and go from there. I will adapt to the only remaining M8, since it is sealed into the end of the rod, with a semi-permanent splitter box. From there I go to 200 ft Garrett fittings. I can change the fitting on the provided phones, or use Garrett compatible phones. I can also use the Garrett to 1/4" dongle if I want to use dry land phones. The Garrett Z-Lynk adapter cable will work for wireless audio. But in general the phones stay connect to the detector.

Once made the splitter box will be epoxy filled.

For power I will make my own cable (the NEL below may work if it can carry the load) and my own batteries using Garrett fittings. Each battery would have only one connector. Two different batteries, one Li-Ion for underarm rod mounted use. One larger capacity belt mount. Two cables, short one for the underarm battery, long one for the belt mount battery.

I am operating under the assumption the pod really is sealed for 10 foot or better depth and that fittings are the issue. The Garrett fittings completely and without question solve that issue. And add a lot of extra functionality.

Anyway, that's what I'm going to do when I get around to it. I like the headphones coming out the rear under my elbow. My version allows for a high capacity belt mount. I will be happy as a clam set up like this and have no need of any future version.

A wide range of headphones exist that can use the AT 2 pin fitting, and as mentioned before, the Z-Lynk wireless system.

steve-herschbach-fisher-impulse-battery-splitter-box.jpg
Steve Herschbach Impulse Splitter Box

garrett-waterproof-connector-clones.jpg
Garrett clones, good to 200 feethttps://www.aliexpress.com/i/4000585349244.html

garrett-to-quater-inch.jpg
Garrett waterproof audio to 1/4" headphone adapter

nel-audio.jpg
NEL version Garrett waterproof audio to 1/4" adapter

z-lynk-audio-adapter.jpg

Garrett waterproof audio to Z-Lynk adapter

nel-garrett cable.jpg
NEL Garrett 4 Pin AT Cable 23" and 47" available