Homemade Battery For Impulse AQ Ltd

49 minutes ago, phrunt said:

I would look here for the components you need, the Aliexpress ones are dubious as to how waterproof they are.  https://www.distrelec.biz/

Well, they are not easy to find and so unless you have a direct link.....

I might just buy NEL cables and scavenge those, or ask NEL if they will sell the fittings. Which they probably get for Aliexpress. :laugh: The fittings are proprietary, otherwise First Texas would use them. They really should just buy some from Garrett, but that would mean letting go of some Texas pride.... good luck with that. But it does raise the question of where NEL is sourcing them.

I'll buy a set of Ali connectors and take a look at them. They really can't be worse than an M8. If they only work 1/10th as well as the real thing they would be good to 20 feet. But trust me, I will find the real deal if I can. Honestly though, the nature of the compression oring seal on these fittings means they basically can't leak and as a certified scuba repairman (really) familiar with high pressure oring seals, I am pretty sure I can eyeball one that would not work.

At $21 a paired set bought in quantities of five sets its not like even Ali is giving them away.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, danielbecerra said:

Steve, if you want I buy an AQ and you do the test, I am in Europe but my in-laws live in New York, I think it is your ideas to go deeper, 1 meter is not even for snorkeling

Sorry Daniel, I'm buying this detector to use, not to test. It's for me. Hopefully if all you out of country people write letters to First Texas they will let some go out of country to select people. You forum guys have my vote!

• Like 1

Steve I have a great experience diving, my beaches are from the Mediterranean, I do not have great changes in the shores, except 1 or 2 times a year, therefore 3 meters I go right but I can get to beaches with accumulation, I have a colleague who is doing plates and repair detectors, I will pass your plan to see if you can do it, if it is if I try to buy one, otherwise I will continue with my old CZ, which is already worth more than its weight in gold

I want the exact Garrett compatible type fittings so Garrett off the shelf audio accessories will work. But don’t waste your time on it Simon.... I’m not that worried about it. I can't even swear I'll do any of this. At the end of the day I am a practical detectorist and not looking to go out of my way to fiddle with my gear. I want to go detecting. So if I get the AQ Limited with a spare battery and it works for me... I'll probably just go detecting and be happy. If it really does perform to my expectations or better, I can always just wait for an improved version down the road that solves all these issues in a more elegant fashion.

• Like 2

Maybe I missed it... I miss a lot.   But Will a battery mode void the 2 year warranty?  Maybe Fisher Rep can/should answer this.  They took a good deal of time writing the “disclosure” we agreed to.   Or are we talking hypothetical here lol?