Gold Indian Head, My Best Find Ever

I befriend a lot machine operators and detect right along side of the dozers. most think its pretty cool when you find something. Sad part is, That this is the third large track of property (100+ Acres) to be converted into housing developments in the last year and a half, within 3 miles of my house. History is very important, please pass this on to everyone you know.

• Like 3

Housing sales might go into a slump with the virus going on, may work out in your favor.

There is an old farm next town over that had an old civ war training camp. They broke most the property up and stuck large monopoly houses on it leaving only a small patch of the original ground left.

Someone was able to grease the palms of progress to get that past the hysterical society (not historical society).

By all means, return to that site. Suggestion: $2.50 gold pieces register at the higher end of the pulltab scale, and $5.00 gold pieces register as screwcaps. Mintage of 5's were vastly greater than 2.5's, so, be sure to dig all such targets. Hope more gold coins surface for you. HH Jim

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom_in_CA said:

You are now officially a studmuffin.    Congrats on the holy-grail hole-in-one of md'ing.   Will you autograph my metal detector please ?

Hi Tom,  Have you ever got 2 in one day ?   Have you  got one as valuable as    Cal Cobra  since you have found many more then him.

4 hours ago, Dances With Doves said:

Hi Tom,  Have you ever got 2 in one day ?   Have you  got one as valuable as    Cal Cobra  since you have found many more then him.

Ahem ahem, yes I've found many more  than him, haha.   (can you please repeat that for cal cobra ?)  🤣

No I've never found 2 in a day.  But I did find 2 in one week once.

And yes, one of my 16 is as rare as his 1865 s $5 gold :  My 1862 s $10 gold .  In both cases, there's "less than 100 known", or something like that.  It's a crap shoot as to whose is more numismatically valuable.  Depends on grading.  But as I recall, the values were in the same ball park.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom Slick said:

Absolutely beautiful coin! Still waiting for my first after 45 years detecting. 😟

you are on the right side of the USA :  The western states.   

Study the "southern emigrant trail (aka Gila trail) that came through AZ.   Find the stop spots where they would have tended to "rally the wagons" and bedded down for the night.  Eg.: water holes, etc....   Then isolate that that have no modern influence (eg.: a town or modern ranch houses didn't sprout up on the spot, etc.... )    These would be spots where those persons who had packed up their life to head west, might have been packing some gold coins with them.

For that matter, simply stage stops.   Also military camp locations that cover mid 1850s years of usage.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2020 at 10:13 PM, dogodog said:

A couple of days ago I returned to a late 18th century homestead that has been disappointing in the past. I've always felt like there was something good to be found around the house, but the best I could do were a few wheaties and a ton of iron and aluminum. I had about an hour and decided to hit it again. Same old thing right before I left I found a 41 wheat 6 inches under a 2 inch piece of flagstone walkway (thought that was great). A day went by and while building a pergola in my back yard and nearly cutting part of my thumb in half, I had enough of construction and decided to go back one more time before leaving that place on my do not return list. I found the usual iron, aluminum and trash. Then I dug an old Larkins cold cream lid and some other cool stuff and felt like things were getting better. About 40 minutes later I decided to hunt the old front yard very close to the road, I never hit this section before. Lots and lots of aluminum so I moved to the old rotten front entry with more flagstone. It seemed amazingly quite until I got a 28-32, hit odd numbers for me but it was very strong. I started digging on another crappy target, so I thought and at about 6 inches I found a 1908 Indian head 2 1/2 dollar gold coin!!!!!!! I'm a pretty strong fellow but I almost teared up from joy. I doubt that I will ever top this find and would be happy with just that. Needless to say I might have to hit the old site just a few more times. I hope all of you enjoy seeing the coin as much as I do.

IMG_0750.jpg

IMG_0751.jpg

IMG_0752.jpg

OH MY GOSH!!!!!

That is my dream coin! Still looking for my first gold coin. A BIG congrats to you!

• Like 2