Mystery Liberty Medallion

A couple of weeks ago i found a medallion that no one here has been able to identify . The site is pre 1900 through to about 1940 . Unfortunately fertilizer , and probably fire see it in very poor condition .  It clearly has the Statue of Liberty on one side and i can make out the word Liberty between 6 and 9 o'clock . The reverse appears to have a rippling flag with the flag pole on the left side . The diameter is about 24.5mm [ one inch ] . I hope the brains trust here can come up with an identity . Thanks in advance all .

P1000597 - Copy.JPG

P1000609.JPG

• Like 2

Looks like a worlds fair bracelet charm. You guy's had one in 1895. (An International Exhibition in Hobart). Maybe some visitors brought it over as a gift from New York. I might be wrong but it's my best guess without better detail. Cool find, I love the stuff that makes you wonder and your brain hurt.

• Like 3

Thankyou dogodog , i had never heard of those bracelets , you learn something every day  ! Did some googling and i think you may well be right .

In October of 1886 the Statue of Liberty was opened for the public to visit for the first time. President Cleveland did the honors. There were thousands of people from all over the world attending and of course buying memorabilia to take home. Including the charm that you found, they had several designs of the charm, however the one you have was the most requested. They were made on the spot by using a press and a die with the picture that you wanted on it. Some of them had a date under the flag which are more rare.

Great find and a long journey for that item. Good luck on your next hunt!

• Like 5

Wow !  That's amazing info 2Valen , makes the imagination work thinking about how it ended up in little Tasmania . Many thanks and good hunting .

• Like 1