Low Weighted Multi Vs 5/10 Khz To Avoid Tiny Targets

53 minutes ago, phrunt said:

I personally don't like F2 even for coin hunts, and I often coin hunt in all metal unless conditions make it too annoying.  Perhaps this is from my gold hunting but I get annoyed with filtering, notching is also something I don't do often as I hate the blanking.  Be very careful with F2 making decisions on target digs, use it if you have to, not unless you need to.

Just remember that the F2 setting of 0 applies less iron bias than normal iron bias setting of 0, which is equivalent of F2 setting of about 4. The normal F2 default setting of 6 is higher than regular mode default setting of 6, so no surprise you don't like it.

minelab-equinox-800-iron-bias-fe-vs-new-f2-settings.jpg

Screenshot at 2020-06-12 08:35:45.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

For someone who doesn't regularly gold hunt and looks for jewellery I can't help but think this same set of behaviour must happen with deep and or small jewellery.

I personally don't like F2 even for coin hunts, and I often coin hunt in all metal unless conditions make it too annoying.  Perhaps this is from my gold hunting but I get annoyed with filtering, notching is also something I don't do often as I hate the blanking.  Be very careful with F2 making decisions on target digs, use it if you have to, not unless you need to.

Simon,

I have mentioned this several times in my hunting.  I turn up my T1 volume which includes ferrous and have found GOOD targets that were on the deep and lateral fringes when I first heard them.  This keeps the blanking away from my headphones even more.  When I interrogate a target with swings I don't ignore it just because it is negative.  In the sand at my beaches there are times when I lose it or it is just the iron in the sand but I can tell the targets better with the 11" coil on F2 0 better than I can with the 15" coil.

The last couple of trips for me to the beach I used the 15" and there are just not that many targets.  I know because I see other detectorists going long distances between targets.  The 15" picks up some additional 'noises'  so I GB and push up the F2 to 4 to make it more stable at my sensitivity of 23.  This doesn't always work and I have to lower the sensitivity but I feel like I'm losing fringe targets.

I like the 11" coil on the Equinox best of all.  I can dig 15"+ on some targets but I'm wondering if an AQ will brighten up these targets even more or if it will only be gold.  I'll use it in all metal and bring out my massive scoops!

Mitchel

• Like 2

Very happy for the conversation in this thread.

All these "negative VDI - iron buzz" testimonies in deep and/or small non-ferrous targets that many experienced, and my own experience with iron buzzes in non-ferrous targets when using max iron bias (as witnessed in 2€ coins, uneven melted aluminum nuggets etc), was the reason I raised this iron bias thing in this beach-hunting thread and looked for answers........cause many of us were thinking that iron bias would only affect unmasking capabilities of the detector in iron-masked targets, and would be ready to use a higher IB setting thinking it should be harmless in the beach where there is no high iron density (so no iron-masking issues).

This discussion and the "iron-buzzing" effect that iron bias has in lone (not iron-masked) magnetic targets or targets burried in magnetic ground/sand has proven that, even at an iron-free beach, a high iron bias setting could possibly eliminate some small and/or deep gold even with no iron nearby....and beach hunting is all about gold afterall so....

If gold nuggets (even large ones like Simon's example) or coins (like GB Amateur's Buffalo nickel) are able to give iron buzzes with a high IB setting, I'm expecting exactly the same for a very thin gold chain, earring, or even a ring that happens to be burried in ferromagnetic ground or beach areas with even little magnetic black sand...high iron bias will "filter" this magnetic sand signal, and maybe will eliminate the gold also by giving iron buzz to both of them. Combining this, with the fact that we run the least gold-sensitive mode underwater (very low weighted beach 2) which already works against us regarding small gold, things become even harder.

Anyway, remains to be seen if a F2@zero setting is still usable in underwater salt conditions regarding stability (with proper GB, reactivity and sensitivity)...otherwise I'll try to not exceed F2@4 max or maybe I'll try the smaller 6'' coil to read less bottom signals with the expense of area coverage.... something I have to try this week and keep you posted on the results.

• Like 2

Going to that thread made me think of time travel.  We are observing the same responses with newer technology.

I had observed the same with the 2€ coins and thus never set F2 > 4, which seems to do pretty well in beach1.

The two coins are composed the opposite way + the 2€ coin is bigger. That'll be the reason, why they behave different.

1_Euro_Common_Sides_New_Design.gif

2_Euro_Common_Sides_New_Design_.gif

• Like 3

On 6/14/2020 at 3:16 PM, mn90403 said:

Simon,

I have mentioned this several times in my hunting.  I turn up my T1 volume which includes ferrous and have found GOOD targets that were on the deep and lateral fringes when I first heard them.  This keeps the blanking away from my headphones even more.  When I interrogate a target with swings I don't ignore it just because it is negative.  In the sand at my beaches there are times when I lose it or it is just the iron in the sand but I can tell the targets better with the 11" coil on F2 0 better than I can with the 15" coil.

The last couple of trips for me to the beach I used the 15" and there are just not that many targets.  I know because I see other detectorists going long distances between targets.  The 15" picks up some additional 'noises'  so I GB and push up the F2 to 4 to make it more stable at my sensitivity of 23.  This doesn't always work and I have to lower the sensitivity but I feel like I'm losing fringe targets.

I like the 11" coil on the Equinox best of all.  I can dig 15"+ on some targets but I'm wondering if an AQ will brighten up these targets even more or if it will only be gold.  I'll use it in all metal and bring out my massive scoops!

Mitchel

I made an adjustment today that made the 15" more usable to me.  In the past I had tried to lengthen the sound by going slower from 6 to 5.  Today after some falsing I went the other direction and increased the speed to 8.  It sounded and performed better.

That makes complete sense to increase recovery speed in iron when you are getting a lot of falsing. I've always ran mine at 4 all the time and would get falsing in iron and would turn sensitivity down. I'll do that and increase recovery speed.