Covid 19 Has Been Good To Me Gold

Jeff,

Thanks for your explanation.  gonna go borrow my wife's rings, bury them and get used to the sound

• Like 1

On 6/1/2020 at 1:16 AM, Jeff McClendon said:

Five Golden Rings in the month of May with the Equinox 600 in Park 2 with no special settings or tweaks. The Nox sounds really nice on gold targets just like other quality detectors and the numbers are very solid. I only wish they could have all been diamonds and 14K. Why am I complaining........they're gold!!!!

Everybody here in the USA stay safe and be careful out there.

Jeff

Adjustments.plist.jpeg

Man that’s A LOT of au! Is that from inland parks?

Congrats 

I can't really  justify yet another detector.Heck, I just raked in 20  G's in stock market trading last 3 days.Might as well stick with that.

Sounds like you guys are all dialed in for rings, good luck . I will stick with whats working for me ,for now...

I did find a new gold bearing creek with my map dowsing, just 75 miles from home and we did get permission to check it out.Gold was there, a dozen specks anyway, here in NE Illinois. Will go back again in 2 weeks and try to find a  richer spot. My first bonafide gold creek in NE Illinois in 40 years of looking.

-Tom

Really really nice...and all in one month...makes me get the itch to get out real bad...thanks for sharing

strick 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/1/2020 at 1:16 AM, Jeff McClendon said:

Five Golden Rings in the month of May with the Equinox 600 in Park 2 with no special settings or tweaks. The Nox sounds really nice on gold targets just like other quality detectors and the numbers are very solid. I only wish they could have all been diamonds and 14K. Why am I complaining........they're gold!!!!

Everybody here in the USA stay safe and be careful out there.

Jeff

Adjustments.plist.jpeg

ok Jeff,

So I grabbed a screwdriver with a skinny shaft, ground the end down so it is nice and round on the point, and went probing last night in a  baseball outfield.  i know, it is steel and not brass..oh well.  even though the shaft is about 9 inches, it was obvious with as thin a shaft as the one i picked, there was no way in this dry dirt I would ever get down to 7 or 8 inches of depth.  Do you use thicker and longer shaft screwdrivers/probes for when it is dry?  how often do you snap them off?

i set the Nox to only 15 as I wasnt going to be digging deep targets anyway.  yes, the 14s with the double beeps i have learned to skip after pulling half a dozen tabs.  grabbed a couple coins, and did get a nice heavy sterling silver pendant, so pretty stoked to my new probing career 🙂 .  there was a distinct difference in EMI chatter between park1 and park2, so left it on park1.

I did dig most of the non-clean targets last night just to get the probing practice...using my index finger on left hand as the fulcrum point isnt going to be a great long term strategy.  I will go watch the videos again to see how others are doing it with a bit more detail now.

i was thinking of taking a heftier screwdriver with a wide blade, and cutting the end out to be a hook.  anyone already try that and have advice?

thanks.

• Like 1

I use my screwdriver (old fashioned 8" round shaft even though it is a flat blade) to cut a 6" long 2" deep slit in the turf for deeper targets and then open it by prying apart the two sides. For shallower targets I cut a smaller slit and then just use my pinpointer to locate the target and pop it out with my screwdriver. I rarely use a probe unless I am on private property. 

Be careful skipping over the 14s with double or triple beeps. That is not the only indicator for a pull tab. The often (not always!!!!) have a different sound (slightly broader with softer edges to the sound in detect mode and a very high whiny pitch in pinpoint mode with similar broad, less defined edges to the sound. 14 with a double beep could also indicate a very shallow ring especially if the audio signal is stronger than usual. Practicing the different target responses for gold items, lead items, nickels and aluminum a lot is very important.

Jeff

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 7/6/2020 at 7:46 AM, Jeff McClendon said:

I use my screwdriver (old fashioned 8" round shaft even though it is a flat blade) to cut a 6" long 2" deep slit in the turf for deeper targets and then open it by prying apart the two sides. For shallower targets I cut a smaller slit and then just use my pinpointer to locate the target and pop it out with my screwdriver. I rarely use a probe unless I am on private property. 

I have just joined the Screwdriver & Probe Brigade myself recently and it's been an interesting and rewarding journey. I have very similar soil just down the road from you and run the stock Park 2 program. I haven't found any gold rings yet, but I never thought about hunting local parks until recently because of the restrictions and thought there's no way to find anything but modern clad and pull tabs. But I'm getting better at it and I'm hoping Lady Luck proves me wrong. 😉 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As much as this year has stunk in many ways, metal detecting for me anyway continues to be just fine. Here are a few more gold and silver objects since the original post back in May 2020. The Equinox continues to tell me all I need to know about good targets. If I just had the stamina to dig them all...............

74F53882-FAB9-4876-8AC2-245DDF6853B8.jpeg

EA609402-074B-4BD1-8C99-738385E1EC52.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Oh my! 1

Some sweet finds there. Land or water?

• Like 1

Turf and proud of it......!

• Like 1