Waiting For The Relic / Gold Version Of The Fisher Impulse

I am interested in this only from the standpoint that if it is a technical and financial success, accounting for it's niche application, it might enable a land-based gold and/or relic focused PI of a similar form factor to be spun off.  I am looking for something that performs like a GPX (with similar iron rejection, ground balancing, and mineralized soil timings) but with the ergonomics of the AQ.  The QED almost fits the bill but is a no go without iron rejection.

fisher-impulse-gold-logo.png

• Like 4

On 5/29/2020 at 5:14 PM, Chase Goldman said:

The QED almost fits the bill but is a no go without iron rejection.

Don’t hold your breath on iron rejection on the prospecting version. This is done on the AQ by using the ground balance control as a discrimination control. It is set not to reject ground, but iron. In order to work for prospectors the ground balance will have to go back to being a ground balance control.... iron disc gone, or no different than the tones on a GPX for instance.

My main issue with QED... no U.S. dealers or service and slightly heavier. But it does use Minelab compatible coils, a big plus. But yeah, I’d like to see the prospecting version of the AQ.

Something more advanced will need a leap from analog to digital where Alexandre can perform more complex PI trickery.

Fisher Impulse Gold Data & Reviews

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Don’t hold your breath on iron rejection on the prospecting version. This is done on the AQ by using the ground balance control as a discrimination control. It is set not to reject ground, but iron. In order to work for prospectors the ground balance will have to go back to being a ground balance control.... iron disc gone, or no different than the tones on a GPX for instance.

My main issue with QED... no U.S. dealers or service and slightly heavier. But it does use Minelab compatible coils, a big plus. But yeah, I’d like to see the prospecting version of the AQ.

Something more advanced will need a leap from analog to digital where Alexandre can perform more complex PI trickery.

Yes, the lack of US QED dealers is also an impediment. 

Then I turn to the other great debate - the future direction/evolution of ML high-end prospecting machines primarily from an ergonomics aspect will it be son of GPX or son of GPZ or something altogether different or a hybrid or ???  (but hopefully lighter).  But that is a discussion for another manufacturer's forum.  I was really disappointed the Apex turned out to not be a slimmed down version of the ATX (but not in the least bit surprised, either - I hope the end of the line for Garrett PI's is not the ATX).

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

I am still interested in the final version of the Impulse AQ, but my personal interest has now shifted more to the Impulse Gold model. I had thought the Impulse AQ might be able to be pressed into service for nugget detecting in low mineral ground, but I found the lack of ground balance control makes it a non-starter for that purpose.

We know very little about the Impulse Gold. There is really no need for it to be waterproof, as most nugget hunters are in arid climates. This should lower the cost, and eliminate warranty issues that result from submersion. But it may be waterproof, we just don't know.

I also wonder about the rod. The early Impulse prototypes used an S rod, but that switched to straight shaft on the Impulse AQ. This was thought to be the better choice for water use. However, I am still hoping for the original three piece S rod on the Impulse Gold model. 

I rather doubt the model will have any ferrous rejection, but one can always hope.

Anyway, hopefully the Impulse Gold is coming along, and maybe somebody can drop some hints about what to expect (or not) on this other Impulse model. I’m expecting the Impulse Gold to still have applications for fresh water lake and stream detecting. It has a better shot now at being the semi-versatile unit I would prefer. The Impulse AQ is great in its own way, which is the singular focus on saltwater beach detecting. I could still see myself with one, but right now an Impulse Gold is more likely to suit me, when the nearest saltwater beach is over three hours drive away. The problem is when I have to drive that far, I will always end up on a nugget patch, not a beach. :smile:

Fisher Impulse Gold Data & Reviews

fisher-impulse-gold-detector-prototype.jpg
Fisher Impulse Gold prototype

• Like 1