My Thoughts On The Fisher Impulse AQ

For me personally, I get a gut feeling to wait and see. I know it will turn off a few of my followers, but I got turned off by all the delays and inconsistencies.  Now with that said, I'm hoping FT realized the importance of "Getting it right" the 1st time.  As we have seen most new products have been delayed some, but this one really stretched the moon cycle. 

I'm all about new products and enjoy getting my teeth wet (especially on gold nugget detectors), but as an inlander in Idaho, my water hunts are usually 2 to 4 times a yr taking a plane ride, so that does not give me the opportunity to test and compare it like I do on gold detectors (in my back yard).

Cost - needs to be affordable or they will not sell many units.  What is affordable?  I'd say $1000 and no more than $1500.  We have some nice options out there with all the different manufactures and some of the well built ones can do white a bit and only cost $900 (NOX-800).  I realize it is not a PI, but Minelab priced the EQ so that many people would jump and boy I have sold hundreds of them. 

Depth - of only 3 feet is a big issue with me as most of my water hunting is fully submerged detector 8 to 10 hr days.  I realize 3' is probably what the control box is at, but so many times I lay my detector down (some float and others sit on the bottom).  I like hunting water 3 to 6' depth.  The 3' threshold they are telling us, has my mind going - "potential issues".  Why not the 10 feet so many others are using?  Heck FT has 2 waterproof detectors they currently sell and both are 250'. Please Fisher give us 10'.

Coil Size - 12.5 seems a little big considering they are pushing how it can find gold rings hidden among iron targets.  Now I also realize 12.5" gice more depth too and since most other water detectors are 12" and under, then there is an advantage for depth, but not in iron trash?

Built - Looking at the unit from Steve's pic (arm cuff and forward), all looks clean and doable.  Looking at a full pic of detector and the back end gives me the chills.  The 3 exposed connectors are potential issues, but it's what it is.  I do like the idea of a lighter detector, not for me personally as in the water the weight is negated, but for those who walk the beaches, this is ideal.

Iron DISC - This is probably one of the major points of this PI and I hope it does as well as we're being told.

Volcanic Sand Setting - That feature alone (if you do not lose to much depth) will be a seller for some of my customers (Terry in Hawaii, are you listening).  I just might have to come over this Fall (post CV-19) and do a hunt with you again Terry.  I think some of my MX hunts could also become even more productive with this feature.

Technology - Yes I really like to see new ideas, but this looks to be a spin off of a couple other smaller brand detectors.  Nothing wrong with that at all, as long as they make it BETTER.  I do give them kudos for trying something different as that is how things do eventually get better.  We'll know pretty soon, but I am excited to hear of the folks who live on the beaches and their 1st reports.

Where do I rank on your chart Steve, well not as high as many of you had hoped, but I will walk cautiously.   Me personally it looks like I grade a "Late Majority" on this unit.   But you know me, I might try and put a spin on it and see how well it works at finding low conductor gold nuggets in iron trashy tailings.  Who knows, it might score me a few more nuggies?

What would I like to see of this new detector?  Mostly no major issues as I realize there will be a few.  Overall customer satisfaction is "Above Average", just can't please everyone.  And most importantly to see each of the different manufactures pushing the boundaries with good competition.  If we only have 1 major manufacture doing detectors, then our options become limited. 

I sure loved those good old days where we could find multi gold/platinum ring on a trips.  This new detector just might help make that happen again, we'll see.

Hats off to Fisher for pushing and giving us another option of lighter more advanced PI with better Iron Discrimination.

0428160918b-1.jpg

• Like 6

Nice analysis/review Gerry. The only area we disagree on is price. This will never be a high volume machine like Equinox. More like a high end niche item. Assuming it has more depth than any other beach PI, and better disc than any other beach PI.... why would it be a bargain price? If it makes a beach that a CTX 3030 and TDI Beachhunter has cleaned out start producing again... people will pay well for that capability. It’s really only the waterproof rating holding the price down in my opinion.

However, in keeping with my under 4 lb, under $2K challenge I want the machine coming in under $2000 regardless of what it can do. I’ll always lobby for more power at lower prices, and on that we do agree!

• Like 2

Hello Steve and all associated with this.my name is Lennie Anderson from Australia and l have followed your posts for years. As this has been in the making for so long l am glad to read Fisher has finally been able to get some out there in the water .l did contact you years ago as l have been an admirer and stalwart supporter The King of pulse induction Eric Foster and still have my old 30 yr old Beach comber scan built by Eric and yes it has discrimination but also loss of depth when in use but underwater it can be quite hard digging 3 ft holes that continuosly cave in (haha and frustrating to boot) and yes its capeable of doing that. Being in Aus l dont think l will see one out here for awhile sadly and the exchange rate import duties mark up etc will probably push it up around the $2500-3000 mark $au.l will be watching with great interest though.  Thanks for the time and look forward to all the reviews. Lennie Anderson 

• Like 2