Treasure Depot

In a way its sad to see forums go.  I frequented the Depot for a time but it was always so cluttered.  Seen some of my favorite bulletin boards go over the years, some I even moderated on, and it gets me about how much knowledge and comrade-re is lost with them.  RIP Treasure Depot may your members find new homes and adventures 🙂

• Like 2

White’s used to have some excellent information on Findmall and their own website. Rob on Findmall in particular had some great V3i information. Then Findmall had a server crash and many of the old posts got lost or cut off after a couple sentences. Not long ago the official White’s forum lost everything, and when they started back up went private... who does that anymore? Long story short a lot of great information on White’s detector’s was lost.

Before people point out that some may be recoverable via the Wayback Machine (Internet Archive), yeah, I get that. Unfortunately they did not archive smaller sites much, if at all, and the archives are sporadic at best. And the main thing is most people are never going to look there. Anyway, it is a bummer. Over time I am trying to recreate some of that lost content here, but on older models, especially posts by people no longer with us, it’s just lost and gone.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2020 at 8:20 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

Over time I am trying to recreate some of that lost content here, but on older models, especially posts by people no longer with us, it’s just lost and gone.

Thank you for doing this. It's always sad to see good, useful information get lost.

One of the biggest tragedies for the forums happened when photobucket went pay-to-play. A lot of pictorial DIY guides were lost.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 6/3/2020 at 10:20 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

White’s used to have some excellent information on Findmall and their own website. Rob on Findmall in particular had some great V3i information. Then Findmall had a server crash and many of the old posts got lost or cut off after a couple sentences. Not long ago the official White’s forum lost everything, and when they started back up went private... who does that anymore? Long story short a lot of great information on White’s detector’s was lost.

Before people point out that some may be recoverable via the Wayback Machine (Internet Archive), yeah, I get that. Unfortunately they did not archive smaller sites much, if at all, and the archives are sporadic at best. And the main thing is most people are never going to look there. Anyway, it is a bummer. Over time I am trying to recreate some of that lost content here, but on older models, especially posts by people no longer with us, it’s just lost and gone.

Do you backup your site information Steve?

11 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Periodically, but I admit not daily.

I've been told by the Invision Techs that they do a backup once a week for all forums, If I recall correctly it's done on Sunday, that was a few years ago so I'm not sure if it's still the current SOP for them.

6 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I’m on my own server, not hosted by Invision. Yes, I could be doing an automated daily backup. But no, I have not been. My bad.

Better start doing it we might loose some of Simons posts 😄 

strick

• Like 1