Dealer Sale Limited Supply - Jim Straight's "3 Hours To Gold" Book

Hey All,
As many of you might know in the mining/prospecting community, Icon Jim Straight passed away. Jim has been a mentor to hundreds, if not thousands of people over the years. Jim wrote many books, including the famous NuggetShooter's Bible, Advanced Prospecting and Detecting for Hardrock Gold, 3 Hours to Gold and many other smaller books. Jim also over the last 30-40 years was an active writer for many of the major prospecting magazines from Gold and Treasure, GPAA, ICMJ and many more.
Without a doubt, Jim will always be looked at as a Icon in the prospecting and mining community. That being said, Jim and I were friends for over 30 years, so I always promised to support, promote and sell his products knowing what they would do for others.
I had a recent opportunity to have a limited amount of "3 Hours to Gold" books reprinted to hopefully get some in new prospectors hands, as they are a huge help and will not be offered again.
Pretty much all Jim's books are out of print and will not be reprinted again. Lets hopefully get the last of the "3 Hours to Gold" book into some peoples hands that don't don't have a copy, or would like to have a backup.
I promise, you will get some great information out of this book.
Below is a direct link to my online store to order this limited copy by Jim Straight.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Jim and I belonged to a couple of the same detecting clubs back in the 1980's. I bought my first nugget hunting detector from Jim in 1985. It was a Compass Gold Scanner Pro. Jim also held some Detecting classes at a local collage and I attended those as well. He was always willing to help out anyone and was just a great guy. We were nugget hunting near Ransburg, CA back then and Jim had hurt his hand, and had it all bandaged up. He got a good signal but after digging down to some Caliche he asked another buddy, Don Brown to help him dig the signal. Out pops a 3/4 Oz. nugget. Although I never got a nugget with the Compass, I did get my first nugget with a White's Eagle SL 90.5 using a GoldFoot coil in the same area as Jim's nugget. Jim wrote many Good Nugget hunting books including "Follow the Drywashers". He will be missed. 

• Like 4

Hey Tom,

I agree, I hate to see Jim's book die to the wayside.   This is the reason I had a limited batch of "3 Hours to Gold" reprinted and trying to work on getting a bit more "Advanced Prospecting and Detecting for Hardrock Gold" along with the famous "8th edition of Nugget Shooter's Bible."  

The 3 Hour books are going quickly, about a quarter of them sold within a few days. Anyone looking, please get your order in soon to make sure you have one of the last new copies we might ever see again.  

Rob

• Like 2

Rob, count me in for your printing run of Nugget Shooter’s Bible!

I had two copies of Jim’s “3 Hours to Gold” book and donated one as a fundraiser for the Randsburg Desert Museum to help them out during these hard times.  For anyone reading this, it’s a great book and a must read if someone is ever thinking if going to detect in the Randsburg area. Even though the book is centered around the Rand area, It includes discussions on the geology of the area that produced and concentrated the gold, and some of the things to look for when prospecting which would be useful to know while detecting in other desert areas. The other must read to also get is his ”Avanced Prospecting and Detecting for Hardrock Gold”.  It is a treatise about the formation, discovery and recovery of hardrock gold, and even includes a informational section about meteorite detecting as well. I didn’t know Jim, but I wish I met him. He was a prolific writer and published several books about prospecting that are all good reads. The only thing I would recommend for those starting out with geological terms, also keep a dictionary of geological terms, or at least Google nearby while you are reading his work. It’s not highly technical, but you will be learning some new terms and processes that are very useful for those interested in detecting for gold.

Thank you Rob, for republishing 3 Hours to Gold and for wanting to keep Jim’s other books alive, and please do let me know when that 8th Edition of Nugget Shooters Bible comes up!

Cheers,

Anthony

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Will there be a reprint for : Follow The Drywashers, want one when in reprint and count me in on the Nuggett Shooters Bible.

• Like 2

Hey Guys,

There is a good chance later this year I will work a deal to have "Follow the Drywasher, Nugget Shooters Bible, 8th edition reprinted.   Like I mentioned before, the book has a lot o pages and printing cost have doubled.  The last time I distributed the book here in the US, I had to sell the book at $34.95.  That being said, even at that price, I couldn't keep them in stock.  I'm hoping I could keep the price around the same, maybe just a tiny bit more, but to keep Jim's books alive and going.  

Rob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just received my copy this afternoon.  Thumbing through it I noticed this photo.  Guy on the right is the author; in the middle the name is Gary Balcer.  Anyone recognize the person on the left in the blue shirt -- a regular participant here?  You'll have to do some mental 'aging', but that applies to all us.

Jim-Straight2.thumb.jpg.9654eccc873d0fb2f33c76dc60bbf67b.jpg

• Like 1

Arizona Outback shirt, hmmmm...

I am really enjoying reading this.

• 2 weeks later...

"Lunk"

• Similar Content

• By Kickindirt
      This is the high tone version. Nice clean machine looks next to new condition. Is very stable at max sense. 
      $325 OBO
      Metal Detecting Buy Sell Trade USA https://www.facebook.com/groups/749287428435998
      Joel
      Liebelt1@gmail.com
      775 388 8277 call text or email

• By Goldseeker5000
      The Nugget Shooter's Field Guide will give you insight on new areas to detect for gold by learning understanding the clues to hydraulic pits, old river channels, dredge tailings and much more. Learn about Mass Wasting and why it is important to the gold detectorist. Also learn about the Townes Theory and how it can put you on top of more nuggets. A must have for every serious Nugget Hunter. Go to https://goldseekerbooks.com
      $24.95 plus shipping.  Get your signed copy today.

• By Gerry in Idaho
      I have 2 CoilTek Anti Interference Coils for sale.
      1st is 17 x 11" brand new in box with matching serial #.  Comes with coil cover already attached. $200 + S/H.
      2nd is 1 time used (like new) 11" round and it too already has cover attached. $150 = S/H.
      Fits All Minelab SD GP and GPX Series Detectors.  Also fits White's TDI series.

• By Rob Allison
      Hello All,
         It's unfortunate on what happened with White's Electronics, a great American made company.  That being said, I'm blowing out all the following for 25% off.  I won't have these items long, as all of them are great products and well worth the purchase. 
      White's 24K 6" Concentric Searchcoil - https://www.robsdetectors.com/whites-gm-24k-6″-concentric-coil/
      White's TDI SL Camo Verision with 2 Searchcoils - https://www.robsdetectors.com/whites-tdi-sl-camo-metal-detector-with-high-q-searchcoil-7-5-searchcoil/
      Whites's Bullseye TRX Waterproof Pinpointer -  https://www.robsdetectors.com/whites-bullseye-trx-waterproof-pinpointer/
      I also have (2) White's Bullseye II Pinpointers, asking - $49.95 (normally $59.95) 
      Rob
    • By Rob Allison
      Hey All, As many of you might know in the mining/prospecting community, Icon Jim Straight passed away. Jim has been a mentor to hundreds, if not thousands of people over the years. Jim wrote many books, including the famous NuggetShooter's Bible, Advanced Prospecting and Detecting for Hardrock Gold, 3 Hours to Gold and many other smaller books. Jim also over the last 30-40 years was an active writer for many of the major prospecting magazines from Gold and Treasure, GPAA, ICMJ and many more. Without a doubt, Jim will always be looked at as a Icon in the prospecting and mining community. That being said, Jim and I were friends for over 30 years, so I always promised to support, promote and sell his products knowing what they would do for others. I had a recent opportunity to have a limited amount of "Advanced Prospecting & Detecting for Hardrock Gold" and "3 Hours to Gold" books reprinted to hopefully get some in new prospectors hands, as they are a huge help and will not be offered again. Pretty much all Jim's books are out of print and will not be reprinted again. Lets hopefully get the last of these two book into some peoples hands that don't don't have a copy, or would like to have a backup. I promise, you will get some great information out of this book. Below is a direct link to my online store to order this limited copy by Jim Straight. Limited Quantity available - $24.95 + $4.00 US First Class Shipping https://www.robsdetectors.com/advanced-prospecting-detecting-book/ Both books can be purchased from us online or give us a call.
    • By Gerry in Idaho
      Most of you know me as Gerry in Idaho, a full multi line dealer who is very active with a variety of metal detectors and hunting styles.  Gold hunting with a detector has been one of my favorite aspects of MD'ing for 25 yrs and i have been very successful at it.  I enjoy the challenge of nugget hunting and also knowing a variety of gold detecting metal detectors.  Yes I use, test and know many.  Now that gold is $1700+ an ounce,  I've seen quite a few new names show up on the best metal detecting forum known (DP)and many interesting questions.  Here is where my knowledge will help anyone interested in a gold detector.  Since I use, sell and train customers on all the major manufactures and their more popular units I get to see who actually gets it and learns their detector.  I also know the Pros/Cons, Ins/Outs and +/- of comparable units.
      If you would like the most User Friendly, Turn on and Go VLF gold detector under $1000, please call me (Gerry's Metal Detectors) and lets get you the Minelab Gold Monster 1000.  Part of why it is so popular besides its performance is that literally anyone can use it.  So many of my customers who have higher end big high dollar PI's or GPZ, just wants to have a 2nd unit to hand over to anyone who wants to go with them.  Your wife, a visiting relative, the neighbor down the road or even a grand kid can all use this detector. 
      If you have already owned VLF type gold detectors in the past, then maybe some of you have never had success at finding gold and part of it is you may not be operating the detector properly or the ground balance is out of tune? Maybe the Sensitivity is to high and you get EMI?  With the easiest and most user friendly gold detector out there, the Gold Monster is fully automatic.  No grounf balance required, no adjusting of Sensitivity if you don't know (use Auto) and no having to hear the threshold giving you a headache later that afternoon because the GM-1000 is a silent search detector.
      Here is where things can really help you out.  As a well known MD'er dealer of 25 yrs, I have many customers and a few of them are always looking for older units they know and love.  I also have new customers who can't swing close to a $1000 for a gold detector, but might be able to step in at around $500 or so.  If you have an old gold machine sitting around collecting dust (not gold dust) and or you don't really know it?  Well lets talk and see if we can compromise and get you into a new technology Gold Monster 1000 and take your used gold unit in as partial trade?  Now know until you ask and that only takes a phone call and 10 minutes.
      Finally, and this goes to all Minelab detectors $500 or up, as a Veteran of the US Military myself, I am proud and feel privileged to work with another VET.  I'll offer you a full 15% discount on that detector and it can be a Coin machine, Water unit, or gold detector, you just let me know which one you want and we'll take 15% off.
      Right now the in stock Gold Monster 1000 is $850 (that is 1/2 ounce of gold), but with the VET discount for those who quality, your price is $723.
      The GM-1000 comes with both coils, coil covers, headphones and charger.  When you do a cost dollar comparison, you'll then realize another reason why it is such a great sell.
      The pics are some success my own customers have had using their on GM-1000 detectors and I take price in sharing their smiles of golden success.
      Let's talk and get you going now as summer is here.  Thanks for reading and supporting a dealer who helps promote the hobby in so many ways.