Detectors & Headphones

12 minutes ago, mn90403 said:

Where is the thread about this probe?

Was not aware about a thread about this probe,here is the link to the Garrett website on the headphones/probe wireless setup that i have just bought https://www.garrett.com/accessories/z-lynk-wireless-accessories/garrett-z-lynk-ms-3-wireless-headphone-kit-z-lynk-pro

Its very similar i guess to the Deus MI-6 wireless probe setup which also works very well,only down side with the Deus one is that it can only be used with a Deus but the Garrett setup can be used on almost all detectors.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, RickUK said:

Richard,surprised about Gordon Heritages GOG phones as they are usually pretty good,but then although i own a Equinox i dont use wired headphones with them,currently using a set of Crawfords Predators which are decent,but just ordered the Garrett wireless headphones for the Nox the one that also allow you to use the Garrett probe wireless through the headphones as well and will see how those work its mainly more for hearing the probe through the headphones more than anything.

Do BJ make a set of special headphones for the Equinox ?? if not i think he can make them upto a special order i could be wrong on that one though.

You and your multiple headphones you are getting more like Martin Gardner with his multiple same brand detectors 🤣 🤣 

Martin has loads of headphones but most are old .

Martin has a Surfmaster  pro , Deus box , ORX , Vanquish 540 , E.Trac , Explorer XS , Simplex , Multi Kruzer and he is getting the Apex .  I warned him against buying the Vanquish but he didn't listen , that and the Explorer and Surfmaster should go I think.

The problem I had when using the Gog's was that when I found a 5p on the surface on the beach it sounded like it was 10 inches deep. Tones are one thing but I think the phones need a volume control too.

BJ  ? 

12 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

I've never tried Black Widows but when I bought my Fisher F75 the online seller threw in a brand new set of Jolly Rogers (and several other bonus items as a matter of fact) for free.  I was so unimpressed that I used them for spare parts.  But, always worth mentioning, headphone performance is a personal preference so likely some out there love the Jolly Rogers.

Were the Jolly Rogers low toned or high toned ? Bass is bad for Minelab's.

7 hours ago, Nuke em said:

Were the Jolly Rogers low toned or high toned ?

I honestly don't remember, and I've since caniballized them so can't try them out anymore.  I didn't have the ML Equinox at the time.  I just remember other headphones I had at the time sounded better.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, phrunt said:

It doesn't get much easier than this

Easy for you to say, a guy that spent years working with electronic components.  😁  Gee, it doesn't take much equipment to do this....  OK, I just happen to have all of the above (exact same solder station, interestingly) except the heat sink clip, but lots of things will work for that.

My question/concern (I think I asked it in another thread recently but don't remember getting an answer) has to do with the cable shielding.  In the video the instructor seems to downplay the cable shielding, saying to cut it off.  Then when attaching the new plug he just solders the cable's internal ground wire (presumably green) to the outer lug of the connector.  Shouldn't the cable shielding also be attached there?  Or is it just not that important?  Having worked with electronics that is way more sensitive to background noise (EMI), I learned the hard way how important the cable shielding is.  But maybe metal detectors just aren't as picky -- kiloHertz transmission instead of MegaHertz or GigaHertz.

I do prefer the right angle plugs although my earbuds have the straight plug and I've gotten by with that.  The one in the picture looks quite long but I'm thinking there are likely tens or hundreds of different brands, etc. available at electronics supply outlets.

Thanks for the excellent video link.  I'm sure many DIYers are a lot more sloppy/cavalier than this guy, but (except for the shielding attachment) this is the way I was taught/learned.  Good refersher course for me.

I think i might have found an alternative headphones. 

They are called Maz headphones. I have bought them from Tony Hunts shop that is part of Crawfords metal detectors here in the UK . 

If the 2 pairs are what I want then I will buy another 2 .

He has 60 he says . He also says that the ET is being run down to deletion and they are selling for £750 which is £500 less than their original new price. I will buy one I think, I will always have an ET . Which means the Equinox will go in the near future. Waterproof isn't vital for me right now.

I along with other people I know just feel the ET is a better machine, target info and tones are better , who cares about weight and 1/4 inch sockets, the ET still delivers . That's why headphones are important. Now to see if the new Maz phones are what I want or find another alternative.

I will still buy the Apex and get the money for that by selling unneeded spare bits including unwanted Gray Ghosts etc .

If Minelab brings out a new machine soon it can wait , it will take an awful lot to beat the best . ET rules OK 

47 minutes ago, phrunt said:

I'd much rather change the end of my headphones than use an adapter.

You and me both!  OK, just ordered a couple (right angled, metal housing).  We'll see if my soldering skills can still pass muster.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to hear guys are not happy with there sound.

Unfortunately all business now need to factor in repeat customer ,buy more .spend more upgrade ect,because the standard is just deliberately Encumbered.

Anyway can anyone help, in me wanting to set up the Equinox 800 Headphones to run them off my 4500.

As i do actually like the feel and sorry, sound also.

What would be nice is if the companies use standard bluetooth so any bluetooth headphone and pinpointer for that matter would work with bluetooth compatible detectors.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

If I'm understanding this thread correctly, the problem that needs to be addressed is the "natural" reproduction of the audio signal input into the headphones.  It seems most headphones produced for the listening consumer market color the sound by favoring bass frequencies.  What detectorists are looking for is essentially the same thing an audio engineer/producer is looking for - accurate reproduction of the input signal. An audio engineer would never mix down an album using "boom box" speakers. They would insist on a quality studio monitor with a frequency response that didn't favor any particular frequency and reproduced all frequencies as given. 

If I was unhappy with the audio quality I was finding in consumer headphones, I would start looking at headphones specifically made for mixing accurately reproduced audio, as opposed to headphones made for casual listening.

They will cost more... 😉

• Like 3