9 hours ago, Bash said:

If I'm understanding this thread correctly, the problem that needs to be addressed is the "natural" reproduction of the audio signal input into the headphones.  It seems most headphones produced for the listening consumer market color the sound by favoring bass frequencies.  What detectorists are looking for is essentially the same thing an audio engineer/producer is looking for - accurate reproduction of the input signal. An audio engineer would never mix down an album using "boom box" speakers. They would insist on a quality studio monitor with a frequency response that didn't favor any particular frequency and reproduced all frequencies as given. 

If I was unhappy with the audio quality I was finding in consumer headphones, I would start looking at headphones specifically made for mixing accurately reproduced audio, as opposed to headphones made for casual listening.

They will cost more... 😉

I have found suitable phones and bought 6 of them. Maz Super Red's are the best since the old Gray Ghost NDT . perfect for Minelab machines.

On 7/3/2020 at 9:01 AM, kac said:

What would be nice is if the companies use standard bluetooth so any bluetooth headphone and pinpointer for that matter would work with bluetooth compatible detectors.

Agree  but it would have to be low latency bluetooth such as APTX LL which lowers the perceived audio delay down to less than 40 ms or so. 

Most "regular" Bluetooth protocols such as SBC, AAC, and even non LL APTX have latencies from 60 to 250 ms which is readily noticeable (and intolerable) on a normal coil sweep swing. 

This severely limits the selection of compatible 3rd-party bluetooth headphones available for purchase.  It is apparent that there is not a huge demand for low latency wireless headphones so APTX LL does not appear to be a widely adopted BT protocol in the consumer market.  That fact and manufacturer profit driven motivations tend to drive detector companies to hawk their own custom proprietary low latency wireless solutions limiting the selection of cross compatible wireles audio systems to the relatively expensive Quest, Garrett Z Lynk, ML Pro Sonic, and Nokta wireless systems that lock you into specific wireless receivers or headphones.

• Like 3
  • 3 months later...
On 7/3/2020 at 9:01 AM, kac said:

What would be nice is if the companies use standard bluetooth so any bluetooth headphone and pinpointer for that matter would work with bluetooth compatible detectors.

I'm a newbie and have a Minelab 600 withy wired headphones. After being almost strangled by the wire(huge windstorm) I am looking to upgrade to BLUETOOTH headphones. I am an ex commercial fisherman and all this info is mind boggling. Trying to decide what headphones would be the best( surf/sand detecting). The if on the m80 Minelab isn't good.

Any help would be a blessing. Thanks in advance.  I live in Central Florida. Joe B...aka...Ancient Mariner  

Any bluetooth headphones that use the low latency APTX-LL codec should work.  Low latency ensures that you hear the target response consistent with the position of the coil over the target.  Most non-low-latency Bluetooth phones introduce a signiificant delay such that by the time you hear the target signal your coil has moved inches beyond the actual target position during your swing.

Here are a couple phone models on Amazon that are known to work with Equinox and that are considerably cheaper than the ML branded accessory phones.

Avantree AS9P

Paww Wavesound 3.0 with noise cancelling

Aukey Neckband Style Earbuds

HTH

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Chase Goldman said:

Here are a couple phone models on Amazon that are known to work with Equinox and that are considerably cheaper than the ML branded accessory phones.

Thanks for the information as you and many others on here always give us newbies great information and good products.

I am still hoping to get out before the freeze here in the Mid-West.

• Like 2
On 8/12/2020 at 6:34 PM, Bash said:

If I'm understanding this thread correctly, the problem that needs to be addressed is the "natural" reproduction of the audio signal input into the headphones.  It seems most headphones produced for the listening consumer market color the sound by favoring bass frequencies.  What detectorists are looking for is essentially the same thing an audio engineer/producer is looking for - accurate reproduction of the input signal. An audio engineer would never mix down an album using "boom box" speakers. They would insist on a quality studio monitor with a frequency response that didn't favor any particular frequency and reproduced all frequencies as given. 

If I was unhappy with the audio quality I was finding in consumer headphones, I would start looking at headphones specifically made for mixing accurately reproduced audio, as opposed to headphones made for casual listening.

They will cost more... 😉

I somewhat agree.  When I must use headphones I currently use Sennhauser 280 pro (I think that's the one) for my Etrac and they'll also fit the Goldmonster with the adaptor that comes standard with the phones.  They'll fit both 1/4 and 1/8" plug.  I also use the long corded, noise canceling, audiophile phones for my drum practice. Phones are about $100 if I remember right, and have been using the one pair for at least 11 yrs now.  Never had a pair of Minelab equipted Koss phones I liked?

If you want the best that fit your hearing needs you have to make them yourself.  These are wired, waterproof headphones for the Minelab Excalibur. Everyone knows how bad the ML waterproof headphones are....So after several years of experimenting and testing I was able to find a combo that allowed me to hear deep targets no one else could. I ended up using Unlimited audio 50mm piezo's that gave me the higher pitch, 2400HZ that fit my hearing then add a unique horn design to amplify the audio for all metal hunting only. Being they work great for me on the excalibur I tried them on the Fisher "AQ" Limited and no doubt they are pushing the limits of unheard deep targets of the "AQ". 

I did test several speakers / earphone elements and these were the more popular used in Aftermarket metal detecting Head phones.

Audiosears higher tone..used in several of the bigger name HP's..Sunrays Pro, Black Widows, then a few of the GG models and if I remember correct there is one set that is made in the UK that uses them also.

Then the bass sound of the old Rat Phones...using Kobitones...Many swore by the Rat Phones years ago but now no longer available. 

I was able to make all of the speakers I tested water proof using a proven method.

• Like 3

About this time last year I decided to purchase a quality set of headphones to use as a backup pair for my wireless detectors, In talking to several vendors it seems the Gray Ghost line changed the type of speakers they had been using, I recall that the ownership had also changed about the same time. I ended up speaking with the owner & maker of Killer B's. He stated that he specifically used audio communication type speakers that had little bass. This was to give the tones a clean & crisp report. I understand Sun Ray uses like speakers. I purchased a pair of the Killer B's and have been very pleased with the sound. The overall comfort & quality are also very good. I use them now as my primary headphones on the Vista X, running thru a Garrett Z Link set up. The Garrett MS 3's also sound very good. I plan to purchase a set of their MS 2"s to serve as replacement back ups. Not sure how either would sound on a Minelab machine but to me they are great sounding on the Vista X, Anfibio & AT Max.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Hi... my primary arrangement of earphones are DetectorPro Black Widow Headphones which are my undisputed top choices, and the earphones I would get first among all others... or on the other hand the earphones I would get on the off chance that I could just have one sets.

I was simply going to get a second pair of the Black Widow Headphones yet chose to get my next top choice... DetectorPro Gray Ghost NDT Headphones, which are the top choices of my companions Rob, Ken and James and are utilized by the majority of the relic/common war relic trackers I know.

The first Gray Ghost are awesome earphones... the Gray Ghost NDT Headphones are the equivalent however with discrete/autonomous volume controls which I need.

prototype pcb assembly services

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if it's been mentioned in this thread before now, but I recently went through this trying to find a suitable pair of wireless headphones for my Vanquish.

I found one pair of (neckband-earbud style) that were the least expensive "quality" ones with APTX LL capability so the latency wasn't crazy, which actually pair properly with the Vanquish, and show the BT+ (indicating the Low Latency is working).

The least expensive over the ear ones that matched the same capabilities were significantly more expensive (like double the price).

The pair I ended up with were the Sennheiser CX 350BT headphones:

https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-CX-350BT-Bluetooth-Headphone/dp/B083W76T8W

These have battery life for approx 10 hours of use. And they support pairing to both the detector and my phone at the same time (so I can use the detector, but still hear calls coming in).

And as said above, they work in true APTX-LL mode, getting the low latency. 

Audio quality seems good, and can detect faint fluty tones from the Vanquish.

(and they had the added advantage of being available locally in NZ)

Hope that's useful to someone.

Cheers!

EDIT:

Also to note, the in-ear buds have the advantage of being super tiny, so they pack up to be small and super portable, AND they can be used with a wide brimmed hat to keep the sun off, which is harder to do with the over the ear kind. (which in NZ is a big deal because the UV here will COOK YOU lol)

• Like 1