Ben's Seen Better Days--updated

Nice find. Those are hard to find detecting.

Where I'm at silver comes out of the ground silver. In the water it comes out black.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Rick N. MI said:

Where I'm at silver comes out of the ground silver. In the water it comes out black.

The "soil" I'm detecting in shows signs of having been taken from the salt water, or in the salt water, at some point. There are still large shells located in the sandy mix. That may be why the coin is so crusty looking.

Great find and it should really clean up nice.

Good luck on your next hunt.

• Thanks 1

I was re-reading my silver cleaning formulas again yesterday and they added a new one on cleaning I had not see before.

After you have cleaned this real dirty one with the aluminum foil method of choice let it soak in ketchup!  I'm doing that with the watch band I found.  Seems to help with some of the color.

• Thanks 1

Very nice silver.  I can say, I have never saw silver look like that out of the ground.  Almost like it has toned. 

Nice though.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mark Gillespie said:

I can say, I have never saw silver look like that out of the ground.

I was surprised myself. In fact, I thought it was a clad and only saw the date when I brought it home and washed it off with water. It had been there a while soaking in the sand.

IMG_20200602_095640.jpg

19 hours ago, Againstmywill said:

The "soil" I'm detecting in shows signs of having been taken from the salt water, or in the salt water, at some point. There are still large shells located in the sandy mix.

Ugh.  And grass still grows in it, at least well enough for a football field, which often is pretty demanding application?  Nice find otherwise.  Is it possible they brought the coins in with the sand when they backfilled the football field?  More likely they were just dropped there since, though, unless the backfill occurred after ~1970.

• Like 2