ok. Thanks. I was out yesterday and was using dual mode, I have to spend more time with using threshold, it is eye opening what it can reveal.I have no experience with it but it seems like having pinpoint running in the background. 2 things I can wish for- User tones is a great feature, adjustable volume per tone would be even better.Adjustable pinpoint tone. Minor tweaks to an awesome detector.I am just scratching the surface.

I am always checking out different detectors on U Tube, the ones the interest me are 1-Etrac,2-Nox800,3-AKA Signum, but to they offer more the the Alter ? Not so sure, but I do like the Etrac !!!

My proven setting of the alter for terrain heavily polluted with iron .., use the program fast 14khz-18.4 khz ... using Mix mode with a sufficiently fast Sat ,, and also set low volume iron ...

I would be careful to use a VCO for strong separation ... because then you may have too much signal in from the iron ,,, but it can be adjusted with reduced iron volume .., and discrimination and the VCO will then work more in the non-ferrous field. .

You don't have to worry too much about setting the mask ... because Alter adjusts the Mask according to the set Filter speed ... At a filter speed of 6 j you set the maximum mask to the level of 2 max ... of course you can reduce this masking as needed.

I was out for a little in my front yard trying some settings, I noticed the other day I was getting confused with to much sound, and My head was not really in the game which can really affect my attention. I ended up very close to your settings. Do you find a  specific frequency is best for coin hunting? I do like threshold running in the background. Next I am going to use the Concentric coil. I have not seen coil covers available, so I will be using bedliner spray, worked great on the AT Pro.

I spent about 40 min in the front yard and pulled up 15 coins and 2 pieces of trash(foil and 6" copper wire) one copper cent was with in 1" of the wire.I can tell which coin is which fairly accurately, it is taking some getting used to the wireless headphones.They produce such a spectrum of sound that it was distracting at first.No noticeable latency issues and very comfy.

I find 13khz is an excellent frequency for coins, goes deep and doesn't pick up tiny bits of foil.

Just for fun try a reverse disc program with Alter, by that I mean set up a notch of accept 0-30 and reject 31-120. Set a custom single tone of 99 (or a low tone of your choice), set threshold high at 444 (again tweak to your choice), run it in dual mode. Make sure iron vol is 0.

What you will have now is a very deep program with iron tone provided by the motion channel, dig everything else with a high tone from the threshold. This program won't be for everybody but shows the versatility of Alter.

• Like 2

Now that is outside the box,I will give it a try.I have been trying 17k at home to deal with emi, and have been surprised by how useful dual mode is.I have found a specific setup yet but am taking my time with changes so as not to be overwhelmed.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2020 at 10:10 PM, KevinOntheCape said:

Hello all, new member here. I recently got a Rutus Alter 71 after using an AT Pro for the past couple yrs. After much research I chose this over the Nox 800 because I can't run with the crowd and after hearing an interview with the developer I was hooked. I wanted a change because my buddy was really cleaning up with his MX Sport and for me as a musician the AT Pro tones annoyed me, particularly the iron grunt gets tiresome. 

I will say the AT has been good to but the Alter is another level and I really like it. The sweet sounds and tweakability makes me feel connected to the machine just as a really good guitar seems to become an extension of the music making not just a thing in my hands. The Alter arrived the day after having shoulder surgery which gave a couple of days with the manual and online videos before I gave in an assembled it.The next day I had it in the backyard to get familiar with the menus and such, man oh man it was comfortable to swing and well balanced.I have been out about 5 times with it looking goofy with one arm in a sling but got comfortable with it very quickly and have been hitting finds much quicker and more often.I have a learning curve ahead of me but I feel that this machine is a good platform to learn skills I have been reading about and makes those techniques accessible. 

I have questions for anyone familiar with this detector-

1- any headphone recommendations? I am putting together a bluetooth setup but may get wired ones also.

2-I setup a discrimination pattern but it appears to be a global setting,can this be setup as a user program to be recalled ? Any other tips and guidance will be welcome, I really feel good about this detector.

rutus-alter-71-metal-detector.jpg
Rutus Alter 71 metal detector

I field tested this detector. Good choice.

• Like 1

Hey all, been laying low with shoulder PT but have been trying new settings on the Alter in my yard. I found that I was getting confused with too much audio in dual mode and a 5 tons setup. I have a wireless headphone setup that is a bit too bass heavy, the Cowen E7's have noise canceling that helps a little but still decided to use a 3 tons setting that is easier to follow. It seems as though even with IRON Vol. at 1 it still is loud. I may get a set of Garrett Cleartone's, they are pretty inexpensive and reviews are good. I like the ear buds I have tried ( Shure 215 and Galaxy S10) but I need to extend the chord about 3 ft.

I am able to go with out wearing a sling but still can't use my left arm much, so shallow coins are pretty much it for now.Anything deeper than 6"  I have to pass on. That's ok because it is causing me to simplify my detector use,it can get overwhelming with the Rufus because it has capabilities unfamiliar to me and I am a tinkerer. I am very pleased with it so far and enjoy using it more and more.

When setting the Alter * 71 reaction, you must take into account that this setting affects 2 things.

1. work in various mineralized terrain ... where the higher setting Reaktion 3-4-5 will work well even in high mineralization.

2. The reaction setting also affects the separation speed of the detector ... with the reaction setting 6 you will get excellent separation results.

Here it is necessary to add that the separation is also affected by the frequency used ... the frequency around 13-14khz will already have excellent separation properties ...

• Like 1