Thanks, El Nino.The reason I ask is that I have been getting High tone falsing and thought it may be related to swing speed.I had the same thing with my AT Pro usually at each end of my swing.I am careful to maintain a level path, I did hear someone talk about something he called winkling, sort of wiggling the coil over suspect targets and it does work.I have noticed Deus users often use a fairly quick swing while I tend to be rather deliberate in using a consistent 2 secondish swing.We musician's take timing seriously LOL.

Different machines may call for different tactics. I have been very successful so far but still have to pass on deeper targets for another 3 weeks or so, no more than 6" using one arm only.Kinda forces me to focus on details.

I have setup 3 programs, 7.8k- 12k and 17k along with factory presets. I change settings at times on a target and compare my programs to factory presets, I stick with one of my programs for a hunt.I hope that makes sense.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello folks, it's been a while since updating. I have been busy with family time and now that my shoulder is up to snuff my wife has me back on house repair duty.LOL. Also because we haven't had any appreciable rain in about 5 weeks I am hesitant to dig in a lot of spots, can't really cut a plug, it just falls to dust. 

I did hunt at an old school a couple of weeks ago for about an hour. In an approximately 25'x100` area, pulled up 3 copper pennies, 1 clad dime, 1 Jefferson and 2 buffalo nickels along with a small buckle (book strap ?) , a couple of square nails and piece of horse shoe. Sorry no pics. Not a zinc to be found !. I returned a week later with my buddy Greg and we covered a lot more ground but didn't find much at all. Yesterday we hit another school with some wooded shadey spots ( 90+ temps) lots of modern coins and a couple pieces of jewelry, I found a heart shaped pin and Greg found a silver ring.

I have found that I can ID a nickel with 85 percent certainty, at a School site the pencil eraser ferrule is my nemesis. Depending on the amount of pencil attached they are within a couple points of a nickel. My Alter 71 settings-  17k, reaction 5, masking 3, iron vol. 2, disc 21, threshold vol. Just audible, audio gain 25, vco on. I ground balance when moving from shaded woods to sunlit field. If I change settings, I will find a zinc penny and use it as reference for ID numbers. I did notice on a deep iffy nickel signal in the woods, when I changed the ID Type from 12k to 6k the signal got a lot more crisp sounding. I like that I can quickly change some settings to better ID a target. I have decided to stick with a couple of programs- 1 custom and the Basic setting- so that I can swap between them. This can be a tricky machine if my ADD has it's way. Oh, and I have been using the concentric coil for the last month, I want to get another lower shaft to make cool swapping easy peasy. More to come, Pray for rain !

• Like 1

On 6/2/2020 at 10:10 PM, KevinOntheCape said:

Hello all, new member here. I recently got a Rutus Alter 71 after using an AT Pro for the past couple yrs. After much research I chose this over the Nox 800 because I can't run with the crowd and after hearing an interview with the developer I was hooked. I wanted a change because my buddy was really cleaning up with his MX Sport and for me as a musician the AT Pro tones annoyed me, particularly the iron grunt gets tiresome. 

I will say the AT has been good to but the Alter is another level and I really like it. The sweet sounds and tweakability makes me feel connected to the machine just as a really good guitar seems to become an extension of the music making not just a thing in my hands. The Alter arrived the day after having shoulder surgery which gave a couple of days with the manual and online videos before I gave in an assembled it.The next day I had it in the backyard to get familiar with the menus and such, man oh man it was comfortable to swing and well balanced.I have been out about 5 times with it looking goofy with one arm in a sling but got comfortable with it very quickly and have been hitting finds much quicker and more often.I have a learning curve ahead of me but I feel that this machine is a good platform to learn skills I have been reading about and makes those techniques accessible. 

I have questions for anyone familiar with this detector-

1- any headphone recommendations? I am putting together a bluetooth setup but may get wired ones also.

2-I setup a discrimination pattern but it appears to be a global setting,can this be setup as a user program to be recalled ? Any other tips and guidance will be welcome, I really feel good about this detector.

rutus-alter-71-metal-detector.jpg
Rutus Alter 71 metal detector

I field teasted version 1 and was very impressed. You made a great choice.

• Like 1

Stay with it. It's worth your time. Hope your safe and well.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I had a 71 a few years back. I did not have the time to detect alot , so I never got the entire machine, downpat, so to speak.

BUT , its an awesome machine.  In beach sand, I buried a $5 gold piece, , 17" deep,and it hit it.  I also loved the 120 segment meter,

I could pick out alot of rings amongst the aluminum scrap in parks.  The rings would lock in very tight on the numbers, where as most alum . tabs and trash would have bouncy numbers.  You have a good machine there. 

• Like 1