XP Deus Versus XP Orx

On 6/3/2020 at 3:09 AM, Jeff McClendon said:

Who would want to buy an ORX after watching these??????

I did not have as much of a visceral reaction, Jeff, as you did to the videos.  I think Gary did a great job on the comparisons and I think it lays it all out there in a balanced fashion and doesn't change a thing as far as perception is concerned.  The ORX is still a great value vs. the XP Deus if you want the simplicity and can live without all the Deus bells and whistles - you get a pretty good bargain in the process with a few "superior" features vs. Deus including normalized target ID for the HF coils which is not an option on the Deus, perhaps a smidgeon better performance in gold mode, a great ground grab feature that I find is superior to Deus manual GB implementation, and a better display layout with the pop up TID and iron probability bargraph.  I must say  that I DO miss full and pitch tone options in the coin modes and ground tracking on ORX (but ground grab makes up for the lack of tracking IMO).  He really did not portray the Deus as superior from a performance standpoint so I think the buyer still has a valid choice between price and features and the video did nothing to change that equation.

• Like 3

Hi Chase,

the differences between the Deus and ORX that happen to be an advantage for ORX owners vs Deus were no where to be found in the first two videos unless I somehow fell asleep during them. I love Gary's videos and watch them no matter what because he is an entertaining guy and I love his dog. I just did not hear anything that made me think that the ORX was a better choice for any buyer since the Gold Modes and the features that are missing in the gold mode on the Deus, were not discussed nor was  HF coil ID normalization or how easy and effective the manual ground grab ground balance is on the ORX.

I often experience this lack of information concerning gold prospecting features on general, all-around VLF detectors that seem to have a prospecting mode as more of an afterthought...... My negative reaction may stem from that. If I was an XP representative I would be highly touting the outstanding ability of the ORX over the Deus for very small gold prospecting in moderate to high mineralization. I am no expert, but I have sold more gold prospecting specific VLF metal detectors than I currently own because they could not handle high mineralization without cutting power in half or more.  In my opinion and from experience, the ORX is one of the best VLFs for high mineralization in the gold fields, period. I don't hear anything about that in Gary's video or from XP in general. All the videos I have seen are Gary's with the Depar, and independent??? video where a guy finding a huge nugget about 4" deep somewhere in the Outback that a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV would have found and a video that was very flattering to the ORX but very unfair towards the Equinox since they didn't have it set up correctly for very small gold.

Jeff

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I just did not hear anything that made me think that the ORX was a better choice for any buyer since the Gold Modes and the features that are missing in the gold mode on the Deus, were not discussed nor was  HF coil ID normalization or how easy and effective the manual ground grab ground balance is on the ORX.

When it's all said and done it just boils down to this:

ORX + Wireless WS Phones + HF Coil ~ $750  vs.  DEUS + Wireless WS4 Phones + HF Coil ~ $1298.  I really didn't see anything in Gary's video regarding the Deus features that really made up that $550 price difference even without touting the nuanced advantages of the ORX that we both mentioned.  These machines are essentially built around the coils and since the coils are common and really determine the machine performance - then you are talking bells and whistles.

To be frank, when faced with that price delta, I think the real question isn't "Why would you buy the ORX?" but "Why wouldn't you buy the ORX?" if it came down to a  decision between Deus and ORX.  If anything, I would think that XP should have had Gary do a harder sell on the Deus.  I suspect that the ORX is really stealing a lot of the Deus thunder.  But in the bigger scheme of things, ML and Garrett are really grabbing the spotlight.  If Nokta figures out how to release a multifrequency machine this year, I think XP will really be falling way behind the curve.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am late to the game but I will add my own 2 cents anyways.

I did not really see a buy the Deus instead of the ORX topic in these videos. I think he should have titled the video Deus or ORX.

I did learn something by watching it though. The ORX has the ability to change languages as well. Also as some have mentioned on the ORX has a better gold ability. It was really designed for that reason and XP put in a couple of extra modes for us coin shooters and relic hunters.

I have both and like both for different reasons. I like to tinker with settings on the Deus and I also like the ability to grab and go for the ORX.

Gary has also released a video on getting a new unit and is praising the ORX very much in it.

Now I know there are a tone of cheaper units that can be had for less money even for half the cost of the ORX, but what I know now about modern metal detectors I would choose an ORX over any of the other ones.

• Like 1

I totally agree, bigtim. The simplicity of the Orx- without giving up on high performance plus the lightness are why think it’s so great. Tomorrow I will have the WS4 headphones so I can also have the Deus tone and preset programs when I want them. Will see how hunting by audio alone compares with the visual ID display of the Orx. 

10 hours ago, relicmeister said:

I totally agree, bigtim. The simplicity of the Orx- without giving up on high performance plus the lightness are why think it’s so great. Tomorrow I will have the WS4 headphones so I can also have the Deus tone and preset programs when I want them. Will see how hunting by audio alone compares with the visual ID display of the Orx. 

Give pitch tones and full tones a go once you get those WS4's.  I find pitch with iron volume to be a very useful mode in thick iron situations (use the Deus Fast program preset).  Very Tesoro like.  Of course pitch works better when you do have target ID to glance at.  Full tones are great for working in modern aluminum trash.  Modern aluminum trash tones for can slaw and broken tabs tend to vary as the coil comes off the target and that becomes more noticeable in full tones.  Nickels and High conductive coins tend to have a more consistent tonality.

• 1 month later...

I’ve been using the WS4’s for a couple- three weeks now and enjoying every minute of it. I do think full tones and pitch with iron volume to be effective and have Made a number of nice finds I’m not sure I’d have made with the Orx. I haven’t yet used the Orx since I got the WS4’s Because I think I’m missing out on tone options. This is not something I expected to happen. Do I want to now get the full Deus remote? Well kinda. I looked into it and they are not available. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, relicmeister said:

I’ve been using the WS4’s for a couple- three weeks now and enjoying every minute of it. I do think full tones and pitch with iron volume to be effective and have Made a number of nice finds I’m not sure I’d have made with the Orx. I haven’t yet used the Orx since I got the WS4’s Because I think I’m missing out on tone options. This is not something I expected to happen. Do I want to now get the full Deus remote? Well kinda. I looked into it and they are not available. 

Plenty of dealers out there selling the XP Deus remote standalone based on some quick searches I have done but the price is steep at about $570.  Did not see any used remote deals in my quick search.  One path you can go if you are looking for another coil is to purchase a coil + remote combo sans the wireless phones (you get the cheap XP wired backphones usually - which make good backup phones in a pinch).  The combination of coil and remote usually gets you a better deal than if you are getting either standalone .  If you are covered on coils, however, then that is not great option.  I used that approach when I first purchased the 9" coil, WS4 Deus lite package.  I really liked the Deus but knew that the remote was going to be an essential component, so I purchased a different coil (11") remote combo, but got the wired backphones instead of another set of WS4's and saved some dough on the package deal and got the second coil I was looking for plus the remote.  Problem solved.

• Like 1

All good info guys. The big question for me  is how much better are the Deus  type machines for    hunting turf  gold    rings by the information you get on the sound of the   tones.It would be fun cherry  picking for gold rings when you are not in the mood to dig that many targets.It  would be like hunting for silver  coins.