XP Deus Versus XP Orx

Did find one at BBB so I’m all set. If I got a Deus package I’d have felt like I needed to sell my Orx, and I really don’t want to do that. All options covered now. 

Ok all,

I'm a little late to this thread, so a little background first! I haven't really looked at the Deus, since it first came out! So i consider myself pretty neutral for the two! I went through this thread,  and watched  part 1 and 2, and think it was fair to both so far! And i like them both!

I have the EQ 800, and am relatively functional with it! I'm starting to investigate a machine to complement, but not necessarily overlap everything the 800 does, for a backup/goto machine!

**So now, with what's been said,   are these two going to combine into one machine?? And is this just a matter of software to make them one unit??

**Is the gap between the Orx and Deus, comparable to the 600 and 800??  And does ML face the same problem/ issue of having two basically identical machines with just different software??

I'm also obviously looking at other brands in these price ranges that can basically "do it all well"; but i will stick to the subject by just getting the XP input from you all that know these machines, for now!!

Thank's in advance!👍👍

2 hours ago, Joe D. said:

Ok all,

I'm a little late to this thread, so a little background first! I haven't really looked at the Deus, since it first came out! So i consider myself pretty neutral for the two! I went through this thread,  and watched  part 1 and 2, and think it was fair to both so far! And i like them both!

I have the EQ 800, and am relatively functional with it! I'm starting to investigate a machine to complement, but not necessarily overlap everything the 800 does, for a backup/goto machine!

**So now, with what's been said,   are these two going to combine into one machine?? And is this just a matter of software to make them one unit??

**Is the gap between the Orx and Deus, comparable to the 600 and 800??  And does ML face the same problem/ issue of having two basically identical machines with just different software??

I'm also obviously looking at other brands in these price ranges that can basically "do it all well"; but i will stick to the subject by just getting the XP input from you all that know these machines, for now!!

Thank's in advance!👍👍

I have owned the Deus, the ORX and still own the Equinox 600 and 800. I like all four detectors. The Equinox just fits my needs better than the Deus and ORX.

So to me, it all depends on what kind of detecting you do since the Deus/ORX were not designed to be "do it all well" detectors.

If you are a beach person mostly, I cannot see any reason why you would want a Deus/Orx as a backup since they are not waterproof and you cannot even submerge the coils in water without losing the wireless connection from the coil to the remote control unless you use the waterproofing kit that includes a wire that runs from the coil to the control unit.

If you hunt in thick human produced nail and other iron trashy areas the Deus would be a great alternative to the Equinox. The ORX would be a workable alternative but it does not have adjustable iron tone volume or a pitch mode in its discrimination modes like the Deus does. It is three tones only.

If you hunt in large amounts of modern aluminum trash mostly, I cannot see how the Deus/Orx would really be a workable backup to your Equinox. To me that is the weakest part of the Deus/ORX since numerical target ID is not their strong suite. They are great tone detectors but picking through tons of aluminum trash without accurate target ID is no fun with any detector.

If you are a relic hunter in open fields with lower amounts of shallow iron or aluminum trash, the Deus or Orx would be a great detector for sifting out good targets in between the trash. The Equinox is really good at this too.

If you are a gold prospector, the Deus and even more so the ORX are excellent alternatives to the outstanding Equinox for a lightweight VLF gold prospecting detector.

The Deus and Orx are not going to become the same detector no matter what software changes are made since they do not share even the same display or button functions. They do share some coils and some DNA and features. However, the Deus is highly adjustable and the ORX has basic features. The Deus is an outstanding relic detector and the best VLF there is in thick iron nail beds, it is pretty good for coins and jewelry in aluminum trashy parks and also pretty good at gold prospecting. For beach work in the surf............I wouldn't do it. The ORX is also an outstanding relic detector with less features and adjustments compared to the Deus, is pretty good for coins and jewelry and is outstanding as a gold prospecting detector which is what it was made for originally. Again, for saltwater surf .........I wouldn't do it. Again, in my opinion there are other detectors that can handle aluminum trashy parks much better than the Deus/ORX.

The Equinox 600 and 800 are exactly the same detector except the 800 has more features and one extra button for the User Profile. In 1 tone or 50 tones, set up the same way in Park, Field, and Beach modes they are absolutely identical. 

If I wanted a backup aluminum trashy park and beach detector, I would buy the Nox 600, a Vanquish 540 basic model (since you already have bluetooth headphones from the 800 which will work on the 540), look at the Garrett APEX or the Nokta Makro Simplex, Kruzers or Anfibios. Those NokMak detectors have almost Deus-like lightening fast recovery speeds and are fully waterproof with saltwater beach capabilities including the handle vibrate mode for underwater target responses, so no waterproof headphones are necessary.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I would add to the above post what has made for me the success of the Deus/Orx , their ultra low weight compared to the competition. An Orx with the 9 HF coil only weights 730 grams , an Equinox 1260 grams . There is a huge 500grams difference between them , and the XPs outperfom the Equinox on this weight/balance criteria and the difference is even more important with the Noktas . You can detect longer with a Deus/Orx than with other detectors , this without any tiredness.

Considering the electronics , the Deus/Orx behave like Tesoros , with very fast recovery and excellent iron filtering so they are excellent in nail beds as said above . Because of this they are a standard in Europe. 

So if you plan to use the Deus/Orx for inland detecting  ( and not for beach hunting ) they are a very good choice.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have the ORX and added the WS4 headphones version 5.2. Best of both worlds using either X35 or HF coils.

• Like 5

I had a Nox 800 most recently a Nox 600 and enjoyed the performance of both, but as all of my hunting is inland , in particular in hilly -often thick woods, the XP units are way lighter and more maneuverable than the equinox. They suit my kind of hunting.I I’m not near the ocean for Beach hunting but with the water kit I can detect in creeks and rivers with the Orx/Deus. 

• Like 2

I think Jeff summed it up well.  Especially regarding whether Orx and Deus will merge...not going to happen.  The coil and DNA are the same, but the headphone and controller hardware and UI are different and cannot be merged solely through a software update.

Pretty much agree with him on his other points too save for a few of my own personal takes:

If you are looking to just back up your 800, going with a Vanquish 540 or 600 is a good option.  However, if you are looking to compliment your 800, I would definitely consider a non-multi IQ detector to provide detector design diversity.  My first choice, would be Deus...if price were no object.  I think Deus is currently at an unsupportable price point given the competition.   If you can get a used Deus package closer to an Orx price point, that would be a great deal.  Or an Orx supplemented with a pair of WS4 phones used and on the cheap (i.e., $125 or less) as George recommended that might be a great package (though I doubt you are going t o be able to pick up some WS4's for the $90 he snagged them at - going used price is probably north of $200).  Right now Orx is just shy a few key features that prevents me from wholesale recommending it.  I can use it as a backup to my Deus in a pinch, but being limited to 3 tones without pitch or full tones options is too much of a features compromise for me vs. the Deus.  Supplementing the Orx with WS4 phones is ok, but if you spend too much on the WS4 phones, you might as well just look for an affordable used full on Deus package.

So, what's left to look at - well the Nokta/Mak machines look nice but they are not as fast as Jeff implies in all tone modes.  Only certain tone setups afford the lightning fast recovery that woukd rival Deus /Orx or Equinox.  But they are solid machines and provide the machine diversity I think is key.  I think having multiple selectable single frequency is essential, especially in the absence of simultaneous multifrequency.  So Simplex wouldn't make the cut based on that though I do think it is an incredible deal now with some great accessory coil options and features that rival the capabilites of the aging but classic F75 Mike Hillis consistently recommends (I still have my F75 as well as my Whites Classic MXT, both powerhouse detectors in their day still with a few tricks up their sleeves but hard to recommend today with Simplex, Kruzer, Anfibio, Equinox, and Vanquish on the street).  I cannot yet recommend the Garrett Apex until some unbiased real world usage reports start getting posted.  The big question mark is the machine's recovery speed, otherwise, on paper, it does look compelling.

The best recommendation I can make right now is to sit tight - let's see how Apex turns out.  Let's see what Nokta and possibly XP have up their sleeve in terms of simultaneous multifrequency or othe refreshes to their product line coming around the corner.  Even ML may come up with something compelling and more formidable than Equinox next year.  In the mean time you have a pretty good, versatile detector that shoukd be able to find the target if it is there under just about any site condition or situation.  I would get through the fall product announcements and then decide.  HTH

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

....  My first choice, would be Deus...if price were no object.  I think Deus is currently at an unsupportable price point given the competition.   If you can get a used Deus package closer to an Orx price point, that would be a great deal.  Or an Orx supplemented with a pair of WS4 phones used and on the cheap (i.e., $125 or less) as George recommended that might be a great package (though I doubt you are going t o be able to pick up some WS4's for the $90 he snagged them at - going used price is probably north of $200).  Right now Orx is just shy a few key features that prevents me from wholesale recommending it.  I can use it as a backup to my Deus in a pinch, but being limited to 3 tones without pitch or full tones options is too much of a features compromise for me vs. the Deus.  Supplementing the Orx with WS4 phones is ok, but if you spend too much on the WS4 phones, you might as well just look for an affordable used full on Deus package.

I am surprised that you dont have the "Deus Lite" version for sale in the US . This version includes a coil + shaft + ws4 wireless headphones for around 680euros over here, so the same price as the Equinox 600 . Look for example at https://www.metaux-detection.fr/xp-deus-22-ws4-disque-haute-frequence-dd-de-22-5-cm,fr,4,DEUS22HFWS4.cfm . It is the version that I am currently using actually . It does not include the control box but you have the most important settings on the ws4 headphones , I have been using this machine for years and I am very happy with it . 

Concerning the Orx,  I do not see important differences between the Deus and the ORx when using in it ploughed fields . Thieir behaviour is very similar for me, and from comparative tests I did with a friend , I found as much as with his Deus in ploughed fields. The Orx is fast and  deep in the "coin fast"mode  , which is logical because it uses use the same coils as the Deus and most of the processing is done inside the coil itself . Just my opinion as usual ... One thing I did not like ; the Orx is limited to 3 tones I would have preferred that full tones was available ,  I hope that XP will update this in the future ...  For info over here the Orx price is 700e , so similar to the Deus Lite or Equinox 600. https://www.metaux-detection.fr/orx-22-hf-sans-casque,fr,4,XP-ORX22HF.cfm

• Like 1

3 hours ago, palzynski said:

I am surprised that you dont have the "Deus Lite" version for sale in the US .

We do have it, I don't recommend it either at this time for the OP's situation.  I think having a controller (Orx or Deus) is essential for full featured hunting, including pinpoint feature and ability to do updates.  Orx a better value than Deus lite IMO.

• Like 3

Thanks all, for the input so far!!

The EQ 800 has been great, but having to ship off parts twice now, leaves me with just the AT Pro, which is unusable in some of my usual situations!

I didn't really want to duplicate the Nox, when there are other great options to be had! But i have time to see what comes down the pike within the next year!!👍👍

• Like 1