Nox 800 Wireless Headphones Question

canoe

Still have not bought the 800 but I am close. A question--it appears to me from the pictures I have seen that the so called wireless headphones plug into a little box  (receiver?) that you hang on your belt.  Is that the case?  If so I do not call that wireless.

I think one would be better off with a low latency transmitter plugged into the audio output and velcroed to the machine that is paired to a set of Bluetooth headphones for a truly wireless set up.

Anyway, for those of you that own the 800 what is the deal with the little box?

Thanks

PS 

Upon reflection, maybe the cord, that is shown in the pictures, next to the little box is to recharge it?

I would not recommend the wm08 little box , I had often drops out ( short loss of transmissions ) with it and I am not the only one noticing this .... I do not use it any more . I prefer using the ML80 Wireless headphones which are very reliable even if they are less reactive due to a little greater lag. 

• Like 2

The first 1,5 years I've exclusively used the ML80 - now I exclusively use the WM08 with sport headphones 🙂 No Problems so far, only detecting in the water is a problem with any wireless connection.

Headphones really make a difference (at least for me). Different comfort, different audio response.. The WM08 gives you the freedom to use your favorite phones.

You can use the ML80s or any other aptX low latency headphone for true wireless experience. There are several threads in this forum, which discuss this in depth. Even the usermanual gives some useful information .. you might consider downloading it prior your purchase.

• Like 2

The Nox 800 comes with the ML80 wireless headphones and the WM08 wireless module. You can use the ML80 headphones wireless to the detector. If you have another favorite set of headphones, you can plug them into the WM08 module, and use that with the detector. The wireless ML80 headphones also have a cord you can use to plug into the WM08 if the battery was dead in the headphones. In over two years, I've never needed to use the WM08 module. I used the ML80 headphones the first year because they were comfortable, had good sound, and the rechargeable battery was very convenient. A little more than a year ago, I bought another set of Bluetooth wireless headphones that fit over the ear instead of on the ear, and i bought some wireless Earbuds. Here in Arizona, I use the earbuds 95% of the time and Use the headphones on cold days or when I go to the beach to block the sound of the waves. Because of all the additional features the 800 has over the Nox 600 and the wireless options of the 800, I think the added cost of the 800 more than makes up for the difference in price. The price difference will also be made back when you decide to sell your detector as most folks would prefer to have the 800. JMHO. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, palzynski said:

I would not recommend the wm08 little box , I had often drops out ( short loss of transmissions ) with it and I am not the only one noticing this .... I do not use it any more . I prefer using the ML80 Wireless headphones which are very reliable even if they are less reactive due to a little greater lag. 

I, on the other hand would highly recommend the WM08. I have had very few dropouts with mine and I have used it for thousands of hours. I just attach it to my left or right shirt or coat chest pocket and forget about it. It makes finding very small targets (1 to 3 mm) much easier since it has no noticeable lag to my ears and I am very picky about that. Like phrunt said, I can also use any compatible wired headphones for noise canceling, for comfort or for heat situations where I want to use quality wired earbuds instead of sweaty muff style earphones.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I, on the other hand would highly recommend the WM08.

You and I are on the same page again, Jeff.  I just this morning climbed back on my soapbox indirectly praising the WM08 (except for complaining about its lack of 1/4" socket).

A lot of people like the ML80 headphones that come with the Equinox 800 so obviously they perform.  But for me they don't (nor do any other of the five sets of over-ear headphones I own) come close for my hearing to the Sunray Pro Golds.  Further, the Pro Golds block out the ambient noise better than any of the others -- again not close.  Two of my parks and one of my schools are right next to busy streets/highways.  The difference in eliminating that distracting and performance depleting noise is huge.  Throw in (as you mention) the very low latency of the WM08 module and I would really feel like I gave up something significant if I didn't have it.  For my other detectors I have the Garrett Z-Link transmitter-receiver pair which is also good.  (I previously had a similar device pair from Deteknix but they crapped out after not all that long in service.)

I would never discourage anyone who likes the ML80 headphones from using them.  However, the WM08 offers something the ML80's don't, and for those of us who prefer those 'somethings' it's a worthwhile option.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, canoe said:

Still have not bought the 800 but I am close. A question--it appears to me from the pictures I have seen that the so called wireless headphones plug into a little box  (receiver?) that you hang on your belt.  Is that the case?  If so I do not call that wireless.

I think one would be better off with a low latency transmitter plugged into the audio output and velcroed to the machine that is paired to a set of Bluetooth headphones for a truly wireless set up.

Anyway, for those of you that own the 800 what is the deal with the little box?

Thanks

PS 

Upon reflection, maybe the cord, that is shown in the pictures, next to the little box is to recharge it?

The Equinox has its own built in Low Latency transmitter  and the detector is supplied with the Bluetooth Low Latemcy Headphones.

• Like 1

Rereading the original post, although Canoe did acknowledge early responses, as always if one person has a question or doesn't understand something there are likely many others out there in the same boat.  I think most everything I'm about to write has been covered, but possibly piecemeal and also written by e(Q)xperts who have their own understanding/lingo after what are now years of use, discussion, etc.  So here is a delineation of the audio options of the Minelab Equinox:

1) built in speaker,

2) 3.5 mm socket on back of control unit where wired headphone (or transmitter such as Garrett Z-Lynk unit) can be plugged in,

3a) Bluetooth wireless transmitter built in which will communicate with Bluetooth receiver (headphones, earbuds, speaker),

3b) Low Latency (LL) Bluetooth capability, an extension of 3a but with higher performance due to shorter delay between detector's internal signal and sound coming out of the receiver's speakers,

4) Minelab proprietary very low latency (even faster than 3b) transmitted signal which is picked up by the Minelab WM08 receiver and is subsequently attached to (wired) sound generators (headphones, earbuds, speaker).

That's a lot of choices!  If someone can't find one of these s/he's happy with then maybe metal detecting just isn't for him/her.  Each of these has its advantages and disadvantages, some of which are detailed in reponses in this thread and elsewhere on the forum.  In particular, Canoe wanted to be able to use a headset with minimal wires/cables and 3a and 3b best satisfy that.

• Like 3

Well i stand in the middle i got cut (loss of sounds) with both,even with the small box pinned on my shirt or t shirt collar.......when i kneel it cuts even with the wireless headphones(again this morning)....

The other i use my G5c (which is a PI) with a Trond wireless transmitter ($20)and some Marshall wireless headphones($70) and no problem at all..............

RR