9” HF Round Versus 5” X 9” Elliptical

For those folks who have used both the 9” round HF coil and 5” x 9” elliptical HF coil, if you could have only one, which would it be and why? Thanks in advance for any responses.

• 22.5cm (9”) Round DD coil:
    13 to 15.7kHz, 26 to 31kHz, 50 to 59kHz
  • 24 x 13cm Elliptical DD coil:
    13 to 15.7kHz, 26 to 31kHz, 68 to 81kHz

xp-deus-vf-high-frequency-coils-2017.jpg

• Like 2

What are you using it for? Gold nuggets in highly mineralised ground the 5 x 9 1/2 is going to work better on small nuggets. But the 9 inch coils still hit tiny targets and get good seperation. There are some youtube videos. 

• Like 1

I have both. My choice of which I'd choose would be based on where I was detecting. I can say, If I was only able to have one or the other, I go with the 9" round as the better all around coil. It's deeper, but I find I use the 5x9.5" elliptical more often. I'd break it down like this if I only had the ORX or Deus and no other detector:

Nugget Hunting: 5x9.5"

Ghost Towns : 5x9.5"

Old Lots: 9" Round

Parks: 5x9.5" for separation.

Parks Deep: 9" Round

Tot Lots: Either

Having other detectors in my arsenal, I go with the 5" X 9.5" Elliptical.  The 5 x 9.5" HF coil also covers a little more ground than the 9" round.

• Like 4

I have used both. I keep the HF 9" round coil on my ORX most of the time.

I think the 80+kHz on the elliptical is just overkill and does not help in really high mineralization. I love the shape of the 9"X5" for getting into tight spaces, for extremely thick iron trash target separation and for interrogating targets with the tip of the coil. Otherwise, I did not see any vast improvement on small, sub-gram gold detection. A big negative for me is I rarely gold prospect on flat terrain. The elliptical coil absolutely will not help my ORX stay upright when I set the detector down. I have had it roll down hills, smash into trees and boulders and just be a nuisance.

The 9" round coil is much less likely to cause my ORX to fall over since it has a wider heel. It does very well in thick iron trash, covers plenty of ground, has good depth and is an outstanding gold prospecting coil.

So, for me the 9X5" is a specialty coil which I rarely use. The 9" round coil would be my choice, 95% of the time.

Jeff

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Contraption said:

What are you using it for? Gold nuggets in highly mineralised ground the 5 x 8 1/2 is going to work better on small nuggets. But the 9 inch coils still hit tiny targets and get good seperation. There are some youtube videos. 

Yeah, I'm kind of familiar with coils. I was asking what other people who have used them think and why. Expanding my horizons - some really smart people here. :smile: I don't watch YouTube, but thanks for the suggestion. Maybe if I get really desperate! :laugh:

So if you could have only one, which would you pick and why?

I'll offer my pick and why after the thread runs out of steam.

• Like 2

I have used the 9'' HF round coil for a few months while a friend was abroad but never bought one,it was a decent coil and did give some extra depth,but the coil that i really wanted was the HF elliptical especially for it ability on target separation on trashy roman/saxon sites and i parted my 15'' Equinox coil which i found way too heavy and i exchanged it for a brand new Deus elliptical coil and the deal was in my favour price wise as i bought the Nox coil very cheaply and got the brand new Des coil in exchange.

When the HF coils came out i could never really figure out why they wanted such a high freq ie 80khz for the UK market as this is in theory gold nugget territory,but since i have owned this coil for maybe nearly 6 months its not come of the Deus since,and this is the other amazing thing i find that running at 80khz most of the time suits my sites and i find it really good for detecting silver hammered coins and of course it would also be well suited to gold hammered and milled coinage as well,occasionally drop it down to 50khz but never used it in 14khz yet.

The Deus and the HF elliptical coil is my main everyday detector and the Equinox with the 11'' and 6'' coil come along for the ride as my back machine.

Will be interesting to see what Steve's choice would be,but as he has mentioned that the 6'' coil on the Equinox is a favourite of his i would stick my next out and say the HF elliptical coil is his choice,probably totally wrong but thats my prediction pmsl.

• Like 2

The XP Skill School might be worth a watch. You can hear the performance differences on small targets using the various frequencies. 

I haven't used either of these XP coils but I have a 9" X35 and have a 5 x 8 elliptical on my AT Gold. At times I could have used something smaller in trashy areas. But the 9" running 25KHz can pick up tiny targets. Also have heard the ORX with the elliptical  will beat the Gold Bug and Gold Monster on small targets. 

I run both coils at 31.3 Khz. I haven't used mine for nugget hunting so I haven't run them at 54 or 76 Khz. I do find that the HF coil at the frequency I run them, Seem to do very well at hitting coins on edge. Better than the Nox in Multi IMO. 

• Like 2

I find myself always going with the 9” coil and don’t see the need for the other. I hadn’t plan on buying the other but at less than half I couldn’t pass it up .

If I ever find myself in gold country again I’m sure I’ll be using both. Even then that will depend on the lay of the land . If not a lot of large rocks I’ll stay with the 9” round.

Chuck 

• Like 1

I had to decide when I got mine to get it with the 9" hf or 5x9 hf coil. I chose the 9" hf coil for more depth. I use mine in heavy iron and in the water. My favorite frequency is 28 to 28.8 khz and I use Deep mode and Micro mode.

• Like 1