9” HF Round Versus 5” X 9” Elliptical

XP Hf 9x5 coil is the most incredible coil out there.

I went out with our club today with the use of the xp deus and the 9x5 coil. I got a squeak of a signal, no VDI or depth indicator, but was repeatable. I asked another club member to come over as he had a 11 inch coil on his machine, but he could not hear it. I again went over and found the repeatable signal, dug down 1 foot deep, could find it with my pin-pointer, and with his in the hole after digging one foot deep.

After a few more tries with the shovel I gave up on the target.

I do not know what the target was, but it was a repeatable high toned signal on the xp deus.

7 hours ago, detectorguy said:

XP Hf 9x5 coil is the most incredible coil out there.

I really like the 9x5, but frankly it is hard to come to any solid conclusions regarding performance in this situation since you never recovered the target nor provided information on how both machines were set up.  Likely big, rusting iron or a buried pipe/wire based on your description - perhaps high falsing ferrous with a halo.

Regarding the comparison with the 11", were you both running the same settings, especially sensitivity, disc, frequency, reactivity/silencer, etc?  Otherwise, you are really not comparing apples to apples. What were your settings and the soil conditions?  Did you ever get an ID once you got down a foot?

9x5 has better depth than you would expect, but not a foot plus (at least not for a coin sized target in normal dirt) and it generally is not going to go deeper than the 11" under identical conditions and settings.  It might outperform the 11" on shallower micro targets, though.   

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

using the 9 oval on a plowed field it seeme to zero in on tiny pieces of metal in the higher hertz of 30 74,wasted a lot of time digging tiny metal fragments

7 minutes ago, brys said:

using the 9 oval on a plowed field it seeme to zero in on tiny pieces of metal in the higher hertz of 30 74,wasted a lot of time digging tiny metal fragments

This is normal the Deus HF coils have been designed to pick up tiny targets like very small coins ( down to 0.5g )  that we are frequent over here in Europe. I agree that it may be different with the US bigger coins .

I will post more details on the elliptical because I received it a few days ago and I already did an outing with it .  I have the round HF coil since several years now ...

• 2 months later...
Guest Tnsharpshooter

All I can do is share my experiences.

After spending lots of time in this one old site, using Deus and LF coils, both 9” and 11”.  Etrac, CTX and others.  Hunted 4 times in this site with elliptical Hf coil.  Found one Spanish bit, one half dime.  All no deeper than 5”.  Loads of iron in site small and larger.

Was it just a coincidence?  You folks can answer.

Same operator using detector/coil setup.  And operator had little time on coil used.  Yet these finds were located.  This site had not had 9” Hf coil with Deus over it previously though.

BTW, these targets, signals not knock your socks off.  But enough data to make me dig.  Can a person listening using elliptical be lured to dig some iron?  Yes.

Also dug a real small thin Spanish bit in another site.  This find was deeper like 7” deep.  This bit may have actually fell through the sifter used back in the 90s when this site was excavated and sifted by archaeologists.  My thoughts anyways.

3 hours ago, Tnsharpshooter said:

All I can do is share my experiences.

After spending lots of time in this one old site, using Deus and LF coils, both 9” and 11”.  Etrac, CTX and others.  Hunted 4 times in this site with elliptical Hf coil.  Found one Spanish bit, one half dime.  All no deeper than 5”.  Loads of iron in site small and larger.

OK you found 2 coins with the Deus elliptical HF , but what were the results at the same site with the other machines ( etrac , ctx , etc .. ) ?   Curious to see your results , thx ...

• Like 1

on a clean site the 9x5 oval was pretty good i am getting used to it ,no coins yet but the site is not right yet ,i use the coil back to front to keep the centre of gravity back a bit .using the all metal gold prog it was deep,it needs a clean site so you dont  dig tiny bits of metal all the time than its just fine .i am hooked on the oval as its lighter

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, brys said:

on a clean site the 9x5 oval was pretty good i am getting used to it ,no coins yet but the site is not right yet ,i use the coil back to front to keep the centre of gravity back a bit .using the all metal gold prog it was deep,it needs a clean site so you dont  dig tiny bits of metal all the time than its just fine .i am hooked on the oval as its lighter

Yes the 9X5 oval is a little lighter , but not much , around 10g .
310g for the 9"X5" and 320g for the 9" round