New Minelab SDC 2300 Update

Minelab are excited to release a new enhanced version of the the popular Minelab SDC 2300 metal detector. With availability from mid-June, the new enhanced SDC 2300 will now include re-designed headphones, an armrest protector and a rechargeable Lithium-ion battery. A clip-on coil joint protector has been added to the swivel joint for added protection of the coil joint while detecting.

Minelab SDC 2300 Data & Reviews

https://www.minersden.com.au/minelab-sdc-2300-metal-detector-v2

minelab-sdc-2300-metal-detector.jpg
Minelab SDC 2300 metal detector

So Minelab have finally decided to fix some of the problems that should never have made it to market ! WOW !

Other problems that have been there since day one remain !

I'm underwhelmed !

Rick

• Like 9

48 minutes ago, phrunt said:

I would imagine most if not all of the upgrades will be able to be retrofitted to the existing SDC's.

Steve has pointed out that the new battery should be well-received.  But if you already own an SDC (I don't), how do you get it swapped out?  Send it to service center?  Pay for the parts and labor?  I guess we'll find out when they're ready to say more.

• Like 2

Interestingly over the years the Lithium upgrade that was available privately for the SDC was somewhat bagged by some ML dealers, now MLs adopted them imagine with MLS endorsement they`ll be the go. GB these lithium upgrade kits have been available in OZ for years, tis a simple matter of just installing them with their adaptor straight in as a replacement for the NiMh C cells.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Steve has pointed out that the new battery should be well-received.  But if you already own an SDC (I don't), how do you get it swapped out?  Send it to service center?  Pay for the parts and labor?  I guess we'll find out when they're ready to say more.

The SDC uses c cells. The battery is not integrated, no service required. No swap out for existing owners, just buy the new batteries and charger.

Current owners may or may not care. Better for new buyers though.

Yeah, same SDC, just new accessory items included. What the unit really needed was an upgrade to integrated wireless headphones. The speaker is poor and aims the wrong way. And the wired headphones tug 180 degrees and are prone to failure at the connection site. Hopefully the new headphones are much beefier / reinforced at the connection. Integrated wireless headphone capability would seem a small addition to fix all that, but maybe they balked at the cost of FCC certification in the U.S. for a product already out for years.

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

What the unit really needed was an upgrade to integrated wireless headphones. The speaker is poor and aims the wrong way. And the wired headphones tug 180 degrees and are prone to failure at the connection site. Hopefully the new headphones are much beefier / reinforced at the connection. Integrated wireless headphone capability would seem a small addition to fix all that, but maybe they balked at the cost of FCC certification in the U.S....

Do the transmitter/receiver aftermarket units such as the Garrett Z-link help alleviate this issue, or is there RF interference (EMI) introduced in the process that can't be overcome?  I realize that a $3000+ detector ought to provide better solutions.

• Like 1

The Minelab Pro-Sonic specifically includes an SDC 2300 adapter, which is useless if you buy the Pro-Sonic for another detector, and so the kit was kind of aimed at addressing the situation. Z-Lynk and others will work if you get the SDC to 1/4” adapter dongle. Not included with the SDC due to the measly $3799 it sells for.

Really great detector despite my bitching. It it were not for the cost and weight (5.7 lbs) it would be my recommended entry level nugget detector for anyone. Powerful, easy to operate, and ignores nearly all ground and hot rocks. Actually easier to operate than a VLF in the worst ground due to that last point.

• Like 8

Being a relatively new SDC 2300 owner I am not surprised by these upgrades. Mine came with the upgraded clip on coil joint protector. I have already done the other three upgrades on mine without even knowing Minelab was doing the same. The most troublesome was the ridiculous arm rest which was easy to fix with an $8 armrest cover. Minelab sent me Li Ion batteries and charger with my new purchase and Rob sent me another set too. Thanks Rob Allison along with that awesome bundle deal. I had several wireless modular headphone systems already so I just needed the headphone plug adapter cable which I also purchased from Rob. I haven't even used the supplied wired headphones yet. So, are they raising the price on the SDC 2300 after doing these "upgrades"?

Totally awesome detector even in awful mineralization by the way.

Jeff

• Like 2

I love my SDC. The armrest has actually never bothered me and I addressed the lithium battery and knuckle issue with aftermarket parts. Koss headphones are a weak spot and I'm on my third pair due to the connection. It's still the best investment I ever made for the detecting I do. It is my grab-and-go for 90% of my gold detecting while I've used the GPX or ATX for deeper gold or iron dense workings.

The ground I detect is mostly shallow hydraulic workings and bedrock - or very close to it - and I highly doubt that I have missed much gold other than out of operator error. If I were in open country in Nevada, Arizona, etc., I'd probably be running a GPX with a large mono or the GPZ 90% of the time. It is a great tool when applied to the correct job. 👍

• Like 6

I have used one, but would not repeat the experience. Designed by the 'tea lady'.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4