New Minelab SDC 2300 Update

The SDC 2300 should be hung in the Cooper Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum

As an example of how NOT to design a metal detector

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey Guys,

The biggest issue with the SDC 2300 as a dealer and end user was the overall length.  I'm about 6'1, but it seemed like I was always leaning/tilting down on one side to get the coil flat on the ground.  It the unit had 2-3 more inches of length it would be great.  I actually like it for prospecting really remote regions where a lot of hiking was required.   I found a nice Camelback backpack with a 100oz water bladder and was able to fold up the SDC 2300 and hike in (looking like a hunter or hiker).  This allowed me to have both hands free while hiking several miles in/out of remote locations (mostly canyons).  

For this the SDC 2300 worked great for me, biggest complaint was the overall length.  The battery issue was never a big issue to me and I just wedged one of my business cards between the batteries to keep them from moving around and power ON/OFF the SDC while using it.  

P.S.  Some California Snipers and Dredgers really love them.  

Just my thoughts,

Rob

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

sure am liking mine so far....it has it's place along with the Monster and both have my needs pretty well covered imo…..

Robs cardboard battery fix has worked well for me also...Thanks Rob for the fix and the great transaction!!!!

• Like 1

As a user, dealer, and trainer of the very popular SDC-2300, I have to agree with some of the negative comments mentioned.   But I also have to brag on its good features and Steve mentioned a couple.  I'll mention the strong points in order of my own greatness to this detector.

#1 Performance.  It really does shine and in so many sites it outperforms the GPX for the majority of gold being found at many sites I've been detecting gold for the last 25 yrs.

#2 User Friendly.   By far the easiest PI detector Minelab has made in recent yrs and also more user friendly than any VLF gold detector,  but 1.  During our group training sessions,  my Field Staff and I easily see how the customers of the 2300 are up to speed and onto success while most others are still learning. 

#3 Compact.  Just the wow factor alone says "how cool and useful that is".

A MUST Have tip for you. Those who own an SDC-2300 and have not tried the Swing Arm from a GPZ-7000, do yourself a favor and get one.   Not only does it make swinging the detector much easier,  but your coil control becomes more stable and perfect,  which will get you better performance and more gold. 

With the ability of the CoilTek Extreme coil selection,  the SDC-2300 and these improvements will help make it even more popular. 

BONUS- I don't know what the biggest chunk of gold to have been recovered so far this year in the United States actually is,  but I'll be posting about one of my customers finds real soon.  Yes it was recovered with an SDC-2300.  It's just amazing to know gold this size is still being recovered. 

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

BONUS- I don't know what the biggest chunk of gold to have been recovered so far this year in the United States actually is,  but I'll be posting about one of my customers finds real soon.  Yes it was recovered with an SDC-2300.  It's just amazing to know gold this size is still being recovered. 

Looking forward to seeing this!

I'd like to thank the tea lady and I'd imagine so would thousands of our military personnel

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'd like to see what the clip on coil joint protector looks like as well as the lithium batteries and if they are available for purchase...the arm rest on ours has already been modified and added a swing arm as well...My wife loves the machine as do I but the 7000 is the go to for me as many of you have stated...it is a great little machine and the fold up compact design is great for those of us that want to be able to place it in a back pack etc... it's ability to ignore hot rocks is priceless in some areas....I give it a thumbs up for small gold recovery.

strick

• Like 2

The Minelab clip on knuckle protector has been an addition on new SDC's for a while now, maybe several months?? 

They are really nice fitting, and have a very nice finish to them - unlike many of the 3D printed versions around. 

SDC knuckle.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Any prices for the parts yet?

If expensive or  hard to purchase, at least the battery swap can be made fairly cheap.  ebay has 18650  in two C cell length adapters for $7.50. I've used them for quit awhile and they work fine, Just needed a bit of sanding as they were tight to fit.  Samsung batteries for another $15, and charger for $20, will have you all setup.

• Like 2