Equinox Coils - Better Than The Rest?

I've been using an Equinox 800 since they first came out. I was one of many that were really hoping that Minlab would release other coils for the Nox. I bought all three and sold the 15" shortly after buying it as it didn't do anything for me in my type of hunting in my sites. The more I used the Nox, the more impressed I became with just how well the 11" coil works. For most of my past and present detectors  I've had a whole collection of accessory coils for different situations. With my Multi Kruzer as well as most of my past Makro detectors I've had 4 or 5 extra coils for each. As much as I'd still like to see some other Nox offerings, I can honestly say that if Minelab does release any other coils for the Nox, I probably won't buy one. For an 11" coil, it does remarkably well at unmasking. Going over the same areas with the 6" afterwords seldom pulls out extra finds. Maybe one here or there but for the most part, I think the 11" does great. 

During this Codiv-19 break, and the fact that's it's just too darn hot to detect, I've had a chance to do quite a bit more testing and the Equinox with the 11" coil can really hold it's own. My XP ORX is a hair faster, but in testing the Nox with 11" coil against quite a few other "Iron Hunters" The Nox is a real winner. Is it the coil, the detector, or both? I don't really care as long as it works.    

• Like 3

I would agree with you.  I bought the 6" coil and have used it a few times. It works well especially in tight areas, but the 11" does seem to work very well where I hunt.  I can cover more ground in the same amount of time.

Multi-IQ plus 11” coil = 👍🏼

I personally would also not be without the 6” and 15” and get good use out of both. 6” for gold prospecting, 15” for ground coverage. Between the three the Equinox does have things pretty well covered. I’d like to see a 6” x 10” elliptical or 8” round, preferably both.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/3/2020 at 6:14 PM, Tom Slick said:

I've been using an Equinox 800 since they first came out. I was one of many that were really hoping that Minlab would release other coils for the Nox. I bought all three and sold the 15" shortly after buying it as it didn't do anything for me in my type of hunting in my sites. The more I used the Nox, the more impressed I became with just how well the 11" coil works. For most of my past and present detectors  I've had a whole collection of accessory coils for different situations. With my Multi Kruzer as well as most of my past Makro detectors I've had 4 or 5 extra coils for each. As much as I'd still like to see some other Nox offerings, I can honestly say that if Minelab does release any other coils for the Nox, I probably won't buy one. For an 11" coil, it does remarkably well at unmasking. Going over the same areas with the 6" afterwords seldom pulls out extra finds. Maybe one here or there but for the most part, I think the 11" does great. 

During this Codiv-19 break, and the fact that's it's just too darn hot to detect, I've had a chance to do quite a bit more testing and the Equinox with the 11" coil can really hold it's own. My XP ORX is a hair faster, but in testing the Nox with 11" coil against quite a few other "Iron Hunters" The Nox is a real winner. Is it the coil, the detector, or both? I don't really care as long as it works.    

Tom I’ve been saying the exact same thing.  This 11” picks every good target out of the ground and my area is stuffed with trash. I don’t see a need for a 6”.  Ive put 40 hours on this machine and it Is simply amazing.  I feel I’m breaking through and have no need to add another coil.  To me you just get a little more mass or less mass when swinging the alternate coils and that’s it...not enough of a significant impact to make the acquisition in my opinion.  Sometimes the best thing to do is nothing at all. HH

On 6/4/2020 at 7:24 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

Multi-IQ plus 11” coil = 👍🏼

I personally would also not be without the 6” and 15” and get good use out of both. 6” for gold prospecting, 15” for ground coverage. Between the three the Equinox does have things pretty well covered. I’d like to see a 6” x 10” elliptical or 8” round, preferably both.

If you are gold prospecting then the 6” would be the coil of choice for sure(and tight spaces although not significant to me) .  Now...6 x 10” elliptical was by FAR my favorite coil on the 705.  That is the one coil I would want to acquire if it ever came available for the EQ that would be a killer tool.  

• Like 3

I have for the most part always used the 6'' coil on the Nox,main reason being the weght of the stock coil kills my accident damaged right wrist,but the 6'' works a treat but just this morning the stock 11'' coil has gone back on the detector.Although i found it not a real pleasure to use for long periods of time,i have started 'having' to use a full harness again even when using a small 5-6'' coil my wrist is that bad,but a harness makes it possible.

Also had the 15'' coil,great ground coverage but totally unusable for me due to the weight,so i exchanged it for a brand new Deus HF elliptical coil,the deal was certainly advantageous in my favour.

When we finally can get out again on club digs and certainly after harvest time then will give the stock coil another try,with the hot weather we are having at the moment the spade just bounces off the concrete soil conditions.

This is just my personal opinion that the Equinox is a terrific machine my Deus with the HF elliptical coil still is the one that i grab as i go out the door and currently Nox is my backup machine or when i am detecting on pasture sites.

• Like 3

Actually I find not normal that there is a great range of coils V8 V10 V12 for the "entry level" Vanquish and not even a 10inch coil for the Equinox. I know this has already been said many times but If ML does not improve their Equinox coil set , they will probably see customers moving to the Garrett Apex , as they have already seen many customers moving to XP …  ML should read a little more the forums to get their customers feedbacks ...

• Like 1

Hello i bought the 6" coil at the beginning of the Covid pandemic,i am waiting to test it on the Thames river ,i got the most reactive machines on the market and the smallest coils an investement almost scientific .

So the baptism of fire will be fierce.Thats why i am waiting to buy another  Nox before i am fully satisfied ,so far my arm is still hacking after my mega swings with the big coil.I saw the 6" during my stay in Australia and it blow me away.

If XP comes out with a machine as versatile as the nox but better (it has to be anyway to convince the 100s of nox users to change machine)

RR

• Like 1