Equinox 800 Has Been Ordered!

canoe

It should get here by tomorrow.

I think it was Chase Goldman who first mentioned the Equinox to me as a replacement for my MXT, in response to my first Meet and Greet post, I thought, (although I cannot find that post which I was going to quote).

None the less, thank you very much to all those that responded to my questions and concerns. I certainly appreciate all the feedback I have received concerning the 800.  I also have learned so much from reading the many 800 threads on this site.

This site has proven to be a gold mine of information for me.

Su Amigo

Canoe

• Like 3

Enjoy your experience with the Equinox 800, Happy Hunting.

Yes, it was me Canoe, who first recommended it.  You should enjoy it, but it WILL be a different beast than your MXT, so will take some getting used to the tones, target IDs, and responsiveness.  Best advice I can give that other than adjusting the volume control to your liking, doing a noise cancel, and an auto ground balance (unless you on a white sand beach or extremely mild ground, then you can just take your chances with the zero default setting - but auto GB takes all of about 5 seconds, so I just recommend doing it as a part of your normal startup routine), and adjusting sensitivity to the point of just silencing any chatter - don't futz with any other settings and run with the mode defaults until you get a feel for the machine.  In fact, I recommend just sticking with a single mode - Park 1 or Beach 1, applicable, as good general purpose land or beach mode.  ML did a great job with the default settings, so for the most part you can select your mode,  just do the startup routine above, and swing away.  Note that most user settings including noise cancel and ground balance are mode specific and not "universal" other than sensitivity- this is explained well in the downloadable user guide.  So don't tweak or mode hop until you are comfortable with the machine.  Also dig all targets, including probable junk, in order to learn its "language".  It is really not a complicated machine, just a versatile machine - just like any other VLF in terms of its basic operation, discrimination, tones, and IDs, including the MXT, it just happens to have 8 modes that give it some unique "personalities" akin to having multiple detectors in one package, and a couple of less familiar feature settings like recovery speed and iron bias, and a lot of tone customization capability.  Refer back to Steve's Equinox Essential Information compilation thread if you have more specific questions or ask away here if you can't find the exact questions/answers there.  Good luck and Happy Hunting.

• Like 4

Chase,

That is a great starter for everyone.  You could just copy and paste that answer for anyone who first uses an 800.

It is really that simple folks on the settings.  Chase or I or Steve could turn on an 800 do what Chase just told you to do and hand it to anyone and say 'go find stuff' and you don't need to adjust it.

The learning curve is sound which simply put is a new language.

Mitchel

• Like 3

Hello 🛶,

Did you get the Equinox yet? And got to try it out??👍👍

That's awesome canoe! Have you had a chance to get out with it? Follow the info Chase gave in his post and you'll be further along than most who first start using the 800.

Good luck!