Surgery Operation On TDI Bh Question.....

It is possible to wire other compatible brands of coils in on the TDI. I'm not sure if the SH 8" mono will work or not. I have a Seahunter and the 8" mono is great in the water but lacks depth and coverage when hitting the beach itself. I use a 10x14 for combing.

Trying to salvage a shell would be nearly impossible. The shells are vacuum formed out of thin abs at around 275°F. Epoxy has a higher melting point so the abs would be obliterated before the epoxy is out.

I have made simple forms out of wood and used a heat gun to make simple parts. Something that size then make the outer shell form and inner shell form out of MDF (medium density fiber board). You could heat the abs up in an ordinary oven on a cookie sheet at that size.

9 hours ago, Skullgolddiver said:

Thanks for the link...I've seen already something similar on eBay UK If I correctly remember.

The old DD Minelab coil is already died, due to the past owner terrible care...In fact I hardwired the 8" to change it immediately when I purchased the machine from him.

You're going to waste your time trying to clean completely the minelab shell.

I did a couple of time some small reparations, and I would like to say that it is quite hard to remove the epoxy filler. 

20130831-195942.jpg

20130831-200224.jpg

20130831-200247.jpg

20130831-200755.jpg

20130831-201128.jpg

I think the way to go is to talk to a manufacturer.

I think it will be possible to convince them for a epoxy filled coil if many people would like to get one. 

I am interested in one as well.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pjrough said:

You're going to waste your time trying to clean completely the minelab shell.

I did a couple of time some small reparations, and I would like to say that it is quite hard to remove the epoxy filler.I think the way to go is to talk to a manufacturer.

I think it will be possible to convince them for a epoxy filled coil if many people would like to get one. 

I am interested in one as well.

Thanks for sharing Your pictures.. You're right, will be a really hard work to correctly clean all the housing.

I literally consumed my eyes reading three times the amazing Pdf Steve posted some messages ago and...I'm sure this is a deeper world I can only barely imagine up to now...

Also, I learned that with so many factors involved realizing a "specific" coil for jewelry and most important for a specific environment is kind of a magic.

At the end of the work, something can still go wrong and can be the time to tune the machine, for the new arrived coil...So, I mean even if I ask to a producer a coil, will this coil be exactly like I need?Will this coil react generally better than the original one in all circumstances?

Will the simple operation to cut the wire and solder a connector modify the really fragile balance between all the factors?

To be clear and less complicated, this operation is an hard attempt to adapt something almost called "universal" to a fine tuned (for another coil) machine...

Tricky...To say the least...

In conclusion, even buying an aftermarket coil, doesn't give us the warranty of a perfect machine's reaction on the field...

I'm beginning a maniac, I Know...Sorry🤣

• Like 1

Hello SGD,

I am currently waiting to hear back from Eric Foster regarding a suitable coil for the TDIBH. Eric and I keep in regular correspondence but I know he’s recently moved house and recovering from quite a serious illness.

The coil I’m trying to purchase is a 10” centre mount coil that is suitably wound for delays as low as 10uS. The coil is identical to that used on the Aquastar detector. I’m not sure if Eric has the right shells. The photo attached is from the Aquapulse website but shows the same design. Centre mount coils offer superior stability in the water. An 8” coil is also possible. As soon as I hear back from Eric then I’ll update this thread. All his coils are fully potted with epoxy.

The second photo shows the design of the 8” coil

Tony 

F48398D9-6CD4-4882-B72E-E39D5C21A990.png

8F1B0BF7-B5F9-4176-B737-B7B68D253CE2.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Tony said:

Hello SGD,

I am currently waiting to hear back from Eric Foster regarding a suitable coil for the TDIBH. Eric and I keep in regular correspondence but I know he’s recently moved house and recovering from quite a serious illness.

The coil I’m trying to purchase is a 10” centre mount coil that is suitably wound for delays as low as 10uS. The coil is identical to that used on the Aquastar detector. I’m not sure if Eric has the right shells. The photo attached is from the Aquapulse website but shows the same design. Centre mount coils offer superior stability in the water. An 8” coil is also possible. As soon as I hear back from Eric then I’ll update this thread. All his coils are fully potted with epoxy.

The second photo shows the design of the 8” coil

Tony 

I really love the 8"design, but most important thing is that I realized the "magic behind"...If I'm correct, these coils and of course the machine, are usually running at higher delays as maded for some deep diving and generally larger objects.

25uS delay is the data I remember... Apparently this is not our preferred coil's range😭

21 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Another possibility - the 11” mono from the DetectorPro Headhunter Pulse. Looks identical to Eric’s coil, I wonder if he designed it? Seems I have a vague memory that is the case, will investigate more.

9BC8F25C-1521-4A92-9679-2E72F4B34D0C.jpeg

03DCC6F6-EEF1-415F-9B50-823B6D2B1773.jpeg

Inductance is very different from the TDi. Eric Foster coils have been swapped onto the Detectorpro Pi by DP. 

Also-----

Eric Foster: My Beachscan uses a coil of 1mH as does the C.Scope CS7 and CS6PI

coil_data.pdf

• Like 1

On 6/6/2020 at 7:14 AM, Skullgolddiver said:

Platypus Coiltek is another option but seems to be rare and discontinued

I found quite a few with a simple Google search. Seven available here. If I was doing this project I think I would get one of these. Epoxy filled 8” x 12” center mount, what’s not to like? Being a Minelab coil the coil ears might need to be shimmed and drilled for the White’s bolt, or just switch to a Minelab lower rod.

9C94337D-8072-419C-A032-E0F8E8C4B5CE.jpeg

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I found quite a few with a simple Google search. Seven available here. If I was doing this project I think I would get one of these. Epoxy filled 8” x 12” center mount, what’s not to like? Being a Minelab coil the coil ears might need to be shimmed and drilled for the White’s bolt, or just switch to a Minelab lower rod.

9C94337D-8072-419C-A032-E0F8E8C4B5CE.jpeg

I'll try to obtain one at a good price here in Italy...And hopefully this will be less noisy than the dual field...

I just hope the connector work will not affect too much the right coil operation. 

I have used Minelab coils on the TDI and I found using a Minelab lower rod to be the easiest solution. I do like that the whites bolt is larger, as the Minelab bolts are marginal and tend to deform with use. I never actually broke one though. Still, I would have extra bolts in hand in the field if you go that route. The Whites rod where it meets the coil is too narrow by quite a bit and the bolt itself is over twice as thick. I drilled and shimmed on Minelab coil to work once, and it did, but went to using Minelab lower rods after that. The lock pin on the Minelab rod is single pin on bottom of rod. You have to rely on the twist lock mechanism alone to position the rod. Or install your own pair of side pins.

• Thanks 1