My solution, $24 on Amazon, I’ll let you all know how it works out.

• 280 watt peak
  • Single 120 volt AC household outlet
  • Head pivots for ideal positioning
  • LED correct-connection indicator
  • Surge protection protects against damaging current fluctuations
  • Ideal for laptop computers, video games, radios and much more

00967095-D354-4AFA-A6F5-6AA8E01512A2.jpeg

• Like 2

I understand many modern vehicles have 'cigarette lighter' outlets that are not permanently live, they only energise when the vehicle electrics are on, ie. ignition etc. As this set-up is going to need an 8 hour plus charge, that could be inconvenient.
One solution would be to fit a permanently-live socket in your vehicle, or make/buy a free cable socket that croc clips directly to the 12V battery.

The advantage of the R/C model battery chargers mentioned earlier is they are fast chargers, measuring a peaking of the battery voltage in order to terminate the charge.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PimentoUK said:

I understand many modern vehicles have 'cigarette lighter' outlets that are not permanently live, they only energise when the vehicle electrics are on, ie. ignition etc. As this set-up is going to need an 8 hour plus charge, that could be inconvenient.
One solution would be to fit a permanently-live socket in your vehicle, or make/buy a free cable socket that croc clips directly to the 12V battery.

The advantage of the R/C model battery chargers mentioned earlier is they are fast chargers, measuring a peaking of the battery voltage in order to terminate the charge.

I have a set of battery clips with a 12V socket for exactly that reason. I usually just toss a deep cycle marine battery in my rig for charging in the field rather than mess with the vehicle battery, and clip to it with this cable.

Supposedly 5 hours to charge the AQ battery from a dead start, though my cheapie convertor/charger setup may take longer.

A446C945-F2E0-4374-BB51-CC03D0B92B7F.jpeg

That's what I was describing, I figured you would know without me hunting down an Amazon/eBay listing of one.
I don't think your 12 to 110 converter will limit things, after all 12 V at 0.4 Amps is barely 5 watts output, efficiency may be a poor 50%, so 10 Watts consumed from the 110V , that's not going to trouble your converter even on a hot day.

It's worth keeping an eye on eBay for a secondhand RC charger. They are likely to come up quite often. Search in the 'Toys & Games' section for 'turnigy charger' , 'IMAX charger' , 'skyrc charger' , you'll soon track one down.

I've added another Turnigy charger to my earlier post, the Accucell6, it's simpler and cheaper, as it's a 12V only input power, not AC mains.

• Like 1