I Hip Mounted My Equinox 800 For Water Hunting

I have complete access to the controls. The shaft is graphite. It is so light. I also will have Steve's graphite shaft when I want it mounted on the shaft. As you can see I trimmed the coil. In the photo I forgot to suck my belly in lol.

Hip mount 1.JPG

Hip mount 2.jpg

• Like 4

What does that mean? " I trimmed the coil".  Putting tape on it so you can see it under water?  GaryC/Oregon Coast

6 minutes ago, GaryC/Oregon Coast said:

What does that mean? " I trimmed the coil".

Looks like some of the veins are missing.

Yes 3 of the braces are gone. I still have them and can put them back with epoxy but I don't see that happening. The yellow vinyl helps to see the coil in the water. I also put some on my scoop so I can see which way it is in the water.

Hmm.  The bracing was put there for a reason. The dynamic pressure of the water could now put a lot of flex on the coil which could disrupt the induction balance effect and cause some false signals.  Maybe not so much of an issue light wading but not something I would do in surf.  Not personally a fan of having a fanny pack full of water and the screen at that angle just seems awkward so not my cup o' tea.  I'm usually carrying a scoop in my left hand and hanging on to the detector with the other so I like having the control panel within reach of my thumb with my right hand gripped on the handle for pinpoint and target interrogation.  With your setup I would have to let go of either my scoop or the detector to manipulate the controls.  But, hey, if it works for you, that is great.  Hope you get some rings and bling with that set up. Good luck, Rick!  

• Like 2

I'm going to try it both ways and see. Probably not much difference.

• Like 1

Here is a Mars Tiger coil that is 10x13 with no extra braces.

tiger-645x409.jpg

All I am saying is that for whatever reason, ML felt the need to put the extra bracing in there, knowing it was going to be used in the water.  They are motivated first and foremost to make the coil as light as possible and to also lower swing resistance in the water, so I don't think they put the bracing there for grins.  I suppose it could have been designed to not need them and there is probably design margin to whatever dynamic loading they were assuming.  But comparing it against a different manufacturer's coil and an elliptical coil at that which has a different dynamic loading profile than a round coil is probably an apples to oranges proposition.  Hell, what do I know.  I'm not a coil designer, just trying to use logic here.

I'll find out soon. I hope it will be ok.

Chances are you will be ok and you can replace the braces if need be.  Only one way to find out and if it works it will definitely reduce your water drag..  In any event, hope you have a great water hunt.  It is getting to be that time of year.  Hopefully, I too can get out there soon.  Good luck!

• The title was changed to I Hip Mounted My Equinox 800 For Water Hunting