I Hip Mounted My Equinox 800 For Water Hunting

What a waste of time!! The Equinox is already light and no need to hip mount it.The coil which you trimmed is a big mistake,you have taken out those reinforcements which holds the coil together.You cannot compare the Equinox coil design with the tiger coil.It has different design.

7 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Hmm.  The bracing was put there for a reason. The dynamic pressure of the water could now put a lot of flex on the coil which could disrupt the induction balance effect and cause some false signals.  Maybe not so much of an issue light wading but not something I would do in surf.  Not personally a fan of having a fanny pack full of water and the screen at that angle just seems awkward so not my cup o' tea.  I'm usually carrying a scoop in my left hand and hanging on to the detector with the other so I like having the control panel within reach of my thumb with my right hand gripped on the handle for pinpoint and target interrogation.  With your setup I would have to let go of either my scoop or the detector to manipulate the controls.  But, hey, if it works for you, that is great.  Hope you get some rings and bling with that set up. Good luck, Rick!  

I agree with Chase's reservations on this one.  I would also add a personal note in that I wouldn't like the cable dangling in front of me that way.  Knowing me, I'd get tangled up in it. 

Also, I'd like to see your report on any falsing you might get due to that loose cable flopping around.  Securing the cable to the shaft is done for multiple reasons/benefits.

Just the view from my foxhole...it may work fine for you.

• Like 2

I couldn't do with the coil cable dangling in front of my legs like that, it is a trip hazard just waiting to put you flat on the deck.

I decided I'm not going to hip mount it but it's good to know I can. 

There are a few detectors made that can be hip mounted. Fisher CZ's and 1280x, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Sovereign and others. Fisher CZ's can be chest mounted. I've hunted in the water that way with a lot of different detectors including land detectors put in a small back pack and haven't had any problems. I've hunted with a CZ5, Sovereign, 1236x2 and others in the small backpack in the water. The CZ5 and Sovereign I've hip mounted on land. The Sovereign even has a hip mount bag made for it.

You don't trip over the cable because it is wound up on the detector so there is no cable laying around on the ground to trip on. 

Rick, regarding the bracing, the other downside I thought of is that once you do that, you have actually modded the coil mechanically and as a result have likely voided the warranty on the coil should it subsequently fail even if that failure had nothing to do with removing the bracing.  Just another thing to consider.

• Like 1

True, I probably shouldn't have done it. It was a brand new coil. It will be fine though. 

21 hours ago, Rick N. MI said:

True, I probably shouldn't have done it. It was a brand new coil. It will be fine though. 

Hi Rick

I was thinking of dong something similar to you, but only taking out two braces. I too feel the coil is "over-braced" and UNDER mount strength. Actually removing a little weight might help the coil tang breaking some.  I do feel the extra bracing does cause extra drag on the beach. 

On a side note , Minelab replaced my modified broken coil.  I have lobbied pretty hard to get it back to use for a spare when I break the next set of ears off, but so far Minelab will not send the old coil back. 

HH Dave

• Like 1

Thank you, I'm not the only one lol. I have seen other coils trimmed too and have heard others say they would like to trim there Equinox coil. I did it. Add Steve's graphite rod and it is noticeably lighter.

Here's a brace for the coil $15.00.

https://www.detectingdoodads.com/blog/eliminate-broken-coil-ears

Coil Connector brace.jpg

8 hours ago, Rick N. MI said:

Thank you, I'm not the only one lol. I have seen other coils trimmed too and have heard others say they would like to trim there Equinox coil. I did it. Add Steve's graphite rod and it is noticeably lighter.

Here's a brace for the coil $15.00.

That particular coil ear brace IS JUNK. I broke that with the ear on mine. The one from "detectingdoodads"  is made out of hollow plastic and is junk.  I now own supports made out of solid plastic. 

Dave

On 6/6/2020 at 9:20 PM, Chase Goldman said:

All I am saying is that for whatever reason, ML felt the need to put the extra bracing in there, knowing it was going to be used in the water. 

I like your enthusiasm Chase!!!!  However saying Minelab engineered anything on this coil with the amount of them that have broken [and will break] is a joke.

I can tell you though I have an ENGINEERED solution. When I get my fix done I will post. There is no way in Hell it will break after I get done with it!!!!!!!

• Like 1

• The title was changed to I Hip Mounted My Equinox 800 For Water Hunting