What Is Your Favorite Gold Detector And Why?

16 hours ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

Some on here are well known salty pros,  others are seasoned veterans and quite a few accomplished rookies.  Now with the price of gold we are seeing a new run of wantabees.  Realize everyone's experience is different,  so please also mention your level at gold hunting with a detector.

When I saw the title of this thread I was planning on not responding since my experience is so limited compared to many here.  But thanks for including me; I'll (try to) keep this brief.  Although I've seen some of the heavy equipment (GPZ7000 and GPX's), what I've actually used is what I own, shown on the sidebar to the left here.

Most of my detectors have actually been touted as being able to find native gold, and they do.  My favorite gold detector for many reasons is the Minelab Equinox, but the biggest reason is because it has been shown to be capable of finding both small and large gold.  I have found small gold on two occasions with the Eqx 800 but that was mostly due to a) being in the right place, and b) being instructed by knowledgeable gold detectorists, including your crew.  Add to that the fact that it is an excellent coin detector -- what I spend most of my detecting time doing since I live far from the detectable gold in the USA.  It's also both lightweight (in just about everyone's view) and affordable (well, that depends a lot upon the individual).

I was strongly influenced by the posts here on detectorprospector.com, particularly those that show results.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I did mineral surveys for USFS for 15+ years and learned about panning from my grandfather when I was a little kid. I detected relics/coins on old abandoned homesteads from age 9 with mom. Had several friends who detected in winters down south for gold who told me for 25 years to get a gold detector... I contacted Lunk (know him from school years ago - the other day) and he suggested I'd like the GB2... so bought it for my first nugget machine from Gerry spring 17. Second trip outwith it found a nugget just under 1/2 oz. nugget in 2018... rare up here I understand.  Bought a GM1000 last year for just over 1/2 price and having used it for a year now, I've found approximately the same amount of gold weight with it as I did my first year with the GB2.  So my favorite? I like both, but they are different. Given option to only own one, Lunk was right... I like the GB2.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Current favourite because simply it gets the gold the GPZ7000, hands down. Favourite Sentimental detector Garret A2B because in its day it did as the Z does now, but more importantly the A2B gave me a life start to this most enjoyablepassion that continues to lead my life.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Although I've personally owned over 100 machines in 37 years of electronic prospecting, I would consider the chestmount version of the GMT to be my (former) favorite. I totally wore one out, total poundage of AU found with it now faded into memory. (Actually not completely forgotten, since much of it was converted into real estate.) My second GMT-BM, far less used, with only about 1350 nuggets to it's credit, is now owned by Glenn in CO. Glad to know that it is still being used. Which means that my new favorite is the Goldmaster 24k. Only drawback is that I wish it was chestmount. HH Jim

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Jim McCulloch said:

My second GMT-BM, far less used, with only about 1350 nuggets to it's credit, is now owned by Glenn in CO.

Jim there must be another Glenn in CO. I and my wife use to be White's dealers for over twenty-five years and closed up shop in 2014. We had bought the first batch of GMT body mounts when they were first available from White's and still are using them today. I'm sure the other Glenn will put it to good use.

• Thanks 1

On 6/6/2020 at 7:06 PM, osbod007 said:

Being in the field and having confidence in what you're swinging is what's most important. 

LST was one of Tesoro's best gold detectors. I hated to see them close shop, but after the kids took over, the drive was already on the downhill.  Your last words are very important.  Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2020 at 7:10 PM, Jim in Idaho said:

I'm heading to Nevada next week, and plan on getting some time on the GM3...after the serious detecting with the modified TDI SL, and the GM24K.

Jim

White's has been a serious player in the MD'ing world for many yrs and their gold detectors has put many nuggets in folks pokes.  Thanks for your input and be sure to update us on your NV trip.  Good luck.

• Like 2